Proposed AMHR Rule Change!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would Support this Rule Change I think it is a good Idea for youth wanting to qualify multiple horses for Nationals. And I do see Kids already showing Junior Horses and some can handle them better than the adults. So yes I think this would be a good class change.

~Jessica

Okay, I have one more post and then I will get off my soap box!

Shelley, I agree to an extent. Yes a 2 year old child is not as strong as a 5 year old, but you could go on to say a 5 year old isn't as strong as an 8 year old. I really think it depends on the child/horse combination. There are some horses we have that are safe for my kids to be around, but I feel not safe to take into the ring.

On your opinion of can a 2 year old in diapers comprehend what it takes to do things right and be safe, I have to disagree. I will tell you why. Just from watching me, not be me coaching her at all she picked things up. While at nationals I was warming up our driving horse right outside the ring. She wanted to hop in, so I let her. She took the reigns and kissed to him to make him go. She was telling him to walk, trot, and doing several kisses to extend his trot, and pulled back and said whoa when she wanted him to stop. I was amazed at how much she did. She must have picked this up while riding with me other times, I did not teach her any of it fearing that she would want to drive way earlier than I was willing to let her. So yes I do feel a child in diapers can understand.

About being 2 paces away. I usually stand behind or next to my child. So I am 2 paces away from the horse but I can reach and grab and any moment my child to get them to safety. I have never touched the child or horse without given permission by the judge. No matter what when you are dealing with children and animals there is no guarantee that something won't go wrong. I just think common sense needs to be used. My 2 year old did not show in halter, it was just color and I did get permission to "help" her guide the horse since there were over 20 horses in a small circle. No I do not think she could have set up a horse for halter yet, but might possibly be able to this year. Even with the classes being split 7 and under my son has very seldom shown in a class less than 5. If they are not split he as shown with as many as 19.

Back onto the original topic. I think if the rule is changed that it should be optional. That way if the club that is putting it on feels it will fit their show well, they can offer it. Just like the splitting of the ages for the kids.

I've made a similar proposal for Amateur AND Youth. I was going to wait til later in the year to submit it.

What it would do is give shows the option of either using the class as is (Sr. and Jr. horses together) or splitting by horse age (Sr. Geldings, Jr. Geldings, Sr. Mares, Jr. Mares, etc)

Shows wouldn't be required to split the classes, but this would give them the option to. When I asked the show office, they said splitting between Jr. and Sr. wasn't allowed, even if show management wanted to do it and the show could support it.

My main push for it would be so that Jr. and Sr. horses don't have to be judged against each other and it would allow us (amateurs) to be able to show more horses.

I don't see what it would hurt allowing the option.

I've made a similar proposal for Amateur AND Youth. I was going to wait til later in the year to submit it. What it would do is give shows the option of either using the class as is (Sr. and Jr. horses together) or splitting by horse age (Sr. Geldings, Jr. Geldings, Sr. Mares, Jr. Mares, etc)

Shows wouldn't be required to split the classes, but this would give them the option to. When I asked the show office, they said splitting between Jr. and Sr. wasn't allowed, even if show management wanted to do it and the show could support it.

My main push for it would be so that Jr. and Sr. horses don't have to be judged against each other and it would allow us (amateurs) to be able to show more horses.

I don't see what it would hurt allowing the option.
default_aktion033.gif
I agree. I hope this passes. Could be more $ for a show if the turn out was well.

Latest posts

Back