Exciting new news on AMHR Draft Halter class

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
I brought a proposal last year to get the draft halter class into more shows and become an actual rated class. It passed real well at Convention and almost everyone on the ASPC/AMHR BOD passed it as well. Unfortunately it is not a rated class but doesn't mean it won't happen, we need more participation and we need more show managers to put it in their show programs. It is still an optional class at local and Area National shows but it is mandatory at AMHR Nationals. Also they are putting in a Grand and Reserve Championship class for the winners of the draft geldings, mares, and stallions classes, which I think is awesome. Here is a detailed description of the class:

The AMHR Miniature Horse showing in Draft Halter should have more bone and substance compared to an open halter entry. They should have broad, short backs with powerful hindquarters and more of an upright shoulder and muscular build to help them pull. Razoring or balding should be discouraged. Horses showing in Draft Halter may be shown with or without polished hooves and a draft type shoe is optional. Draft Halter horses must be shown in a white or silver halter, no cable halter. Braiding of manes and tails is a must. In order to show in the Draft Halter class the horse must be shown in a Draft Harness class. All first and second place winners to compete back in the Grand Champion & Reserve Class. These classes will not earn All Star or Hall of Fame points.

These classes are optional for local and Area National Shows; and mandatory at AMHR Nationals.
Classes:
Open Stallion Draft Halter, 38” & Under
Open Mare Draft Halter, 38” & Under
Open Gelding Draft Halter, 38” & Under
Grand Champion & Reserve Stallion/Mare/Gelding Draft Halter, 38” & Under

Thanks BOD!

Love everything BUT: **the horse must be shown in a Draft Harness class.** Why? You don't require the regular halter horses show in a driving class.

I just can't swing buying a whole new driving set up for ONE class. And not an inexpensive one, either. And I LOVE to drive my boy. Plus the hassle of bringing it to the show. I know there are plenty of "heavy" harness mini people that love this new division, but the average shower (like me) won't be able to come play....

I'm with Field-of-Dreams here... I'm new so am trying to learn, I know my guy would do better in this type class than in any others. Sad we won't be able to participate this first year. Exciting to know so I can follow though!

This is more or less the original description that we've had for the draft halter class and has always been a requirement to drive in a draft driving class. When I sent in the proposal I felt it should not be changed. The draft division itself is getting big thanks to these halter classes. I myself wasn't showing in these classes til the draft halter class was created two years ago and now I am going after my mare's HOF in draft. Yes its going to be costly, yes its going to be harder, but with this being the 3rd year for this class people should be a bit more prepared. I myself when it first came out there was 0 warning that these classes were going to even happen at Nationals I had to literally borrow everything. I had my own halter, my braids, but I had to get someone else to braid, borrow another horse to show in the team class, borrow harnesses, borrow the wagon, and borrow the driver lol. Now I got my 2-horse team, my single horse, my single cart, my wagon, still working on buying the harnesses, and I know how to braid, I can drive them but messed up at Nationals of course. But I still had to borrow harnesses and even borrowed a cart to show in tandem. Fortunately we have a good group of people willing to help each other out.

My next goal for this class is to make it mandatory for the Area National shows and rated for all-star points, but I feel like it was a win to get the championship class. Yes it is going to be harder for people to show in this class because of the driving requirements which will keep participation down
default_sad.png

What happens if the horse you are using for the halter class isn't old enough to drive??? Can you still show the Draft halter with the horse?

Thanks

Julie

I do understand where you are coming from but I hate that HAVING to show in a draft driving class limits me from showing in the halter class. I don't know anyone with harness and carts I could borrow, and really wouldn't ask anyway. NO WAY can I afford to buy. I was willing to get the white halter and braiding stuff and try to do that. Oh, well.

You can always build your own harness. I just finished a pair harness, heavy spotted draft for my lead team. Took me almost 4 months to make, it has over 800 spots on each horse. And I "paid as I made" so it spread the cost over the four months. Not counting collars or hames my final cost was $1000 plus four months of work. Was so worth it when I took it to our AMHA show and won 1st under 2 judges and 2nd under the 3rd, and I was told that I was the first to compete with a four-up at that show!

And if you do not know how to do leather work, The Leather Factory and Tandy Leather both hold classes on leatherwork, along with books and most of the supplies to do it!

And the people who work there , at least here, LOVE leatherwork and LOVE to share information on working with leather!

You can always build your own harness. I just finished a pair harness, heavy spotted draft for my lead team. Took me almost 4 months to make, it has over 800 spots on each horse. And I "paid as I made" so it spread the cost over the four months. Not counting collars or hames my final cost was $1000 plus four months of work. Was so worth it when I took it to our AMHA show and won 1st under 2 judges and 2nd under the 3rd, and I was told that I was the first to compete with a four-up at that show!
Still WAY outta my reach, plus you need a cart/carriage. (I did do leatherwork when I was younger. It's a fun hobby!)

Wow i have a couple in my barn that would be perfect for this class. Larger boned and stocky as all get out. We used to call them the Quarter Horse type

This is only an observation and nothing more.

With all the breeding that has taken place to refine the breed, floating movement and all included, I have to wonder if this is now going to be a new "fad" in breeding large boned horses. I can't see a draft type floating.

Could it be taking a step backwards from what the breeders have tried to breed out for so long?

All in all it does sound like a nice idea for others to pull their big boned horses out of storage and have a place for them in the ring.

Marty I don't necessarily see that happen, I think people that have nice draft type stock will continue to breed for the type they like. If they are nice in confirmation it wouldn't honestly bother me the least. I personally know a really nice draft type stallion.

I personally don't care so much for the open halter refined type. My under mare that I own I personally wish she had a bit more bone to her to pair up better with my draft type mini but she just doesn't, but she does real well in the halter classes. I say breed for the type you like just as long as they are confirmationally correct you can't go wrong with that logic.

Agreed , This is going to open up a new door for a lot of stay at home horses. I'm anxious to see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back