Proposal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
glad you are going through with this Renee! it's a much needed proposal. It's nice to see someone passionate enough about their horses to stand up for them and try to be heard.

Ok, all proposals submitted for convention this year HAS to have an effective date of two years out....ie...1-1-2015. The only way it might go into effect is if after the proposal goes through the committee (AMHR) and is voted one (if passed in committee), then it moves to the BOD for their considersation. If the BOD considers it a hardship to the registry, then they can make it go into effect on 1-1-2014 not 1-1-2015.

Thanks Karen. I have to think about that. I am getting confused. What does out...ie mean?

And thanks so much Debby for giving us a chance to learn something and carrying on Lil Beginnings. You are doing a great job and service to us all.

Two years out....two years (as of Jan 1st) from the time you put in your proposal. ie = 'that is'--so, you put in the proposal by July 1st 2013 and it would take effect Jan 1 2015. You could ask that it be made extraordinary and the BOD could agree to make it extraordinary, meaning it would take effect Jan 1, 2014 but I would have my doubts that this proposal would be considered extraordinary.

Thanks Holly. Got it. Yeah I don't think this is extraordinary. Just ordinary will be fine. Extraordinary sounds like an emergency and is too fast and wouldn't give people time to think.

ie I think 'that is' is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious here. But isn't the hardship extention to try and boost club numbers and attendance at the shows and therefore better the Miniature Horse community in these difficult financial times?

Just checking.

I for one think more members and more registered horses better our horse community, our local clubs and show attendance.

This would not stop hardshipping in of all horses. This would just make it to where AMHA horses would also have to go thru the inspection process at the age of 3 just like ASPC and Fabella horses currently do. Right now any age of AMHA miniature horse can be hardshipped into AMHR without going thru inspection. Also after this year AMHR will be the only repituable miniature horse registry that will allow hardshipping of miniatures from these registeries while AMHA will be completely closed from hardshipping. So I don't see this hurting the registry, I think it's about time to do so.

JMS... Completely your Opinion... which is what I am expressing, My Opinion.

My thought was that in order to be registered with AMHA horses cannot be any taller than 34". I know for a fact that ALL of my horses have been officially measured by AMHA and clearly make the 38" and under height requirement for AMHR (mine are all under 32"). Now I know there are many a unscrupulous breeder out there who "fudges" their 34" measurement to get permanant papers, but I have yet to see one be over 38". I wonder if that is the reasoning behind AMHR's ruling for AMHA horses. Falabella registry does not have a height limit and I have seen many a shetland pony over 38".

Now in regards to bettering the industry, I have seen first hand a swell in show entries and AMHR registrations from AMHA horses in my area this past year. I believe that if there were strict guidelines to have your 34" and under horse "officially measured" by a steward and "Official measurer" to make sure they are not over 38" it would be a huge drawback. Kind of a redundancy thing of you ask me!

As I said, I am happy to see more people cross registering their horses as I only see it helping the AMHR community, not hurting it.

Well, in truth there are those horses who outgrow their AMHA papers--by A LOT. Considering that AMHR will give papers to a horse based on AMHA temporary papers...without any check to see that the horse actually does qualify by size for AMHA...and since some of those horses are very tall and will never get their permanent A papers, and considering that there have been people that have stated they had a horse that grew to almost 39" out of two 34" and under parents--I don't think it is unreasonable that all horses be inspected and measured before R papers are given.

Minimor, on 12 Feb 2013 - 17:33, said:

Well, in truth there are those horses who outgrow their AMHA papers--by A LOT. Considering that AMHR will give papers to a horse based on AMHA temporary papers...without any check to see that the horse actually does qualify by size for AMHA...and since some of those horses are very tall and will never get their permanent A papers, and considering that there have been people that have stated they had a horse that grew to almost 39" out of two 34" and under parents--I don't think it is unreasonable that all horses be inspected and measured before R papers are given.
You are so right, Holly. Had a 34" mare and bred her to a 29" stallion....and the resulting foal grew to 39" !!!!! Definitely a throwback to something way way way back in his pedigree. Yes, I think there should be a measuring requirement for AMHA horses to be 'hardshipped' into AMHR. The assumption is because it's AMHA-registered it is definitely under 34". Now everyone knows what happens when anyone 'assumes' something. :)

I have bought many, really many, AMHA registered only horses and then hardshipped them into AMHR at full cost. Then I showed them AMHA, until they outgrew said hieght requirements, and showed them also AMHR as youngsters, that is, under three yrs. of age. With that being said I agree with Renees' proposal in so much as I feel that it will incourage the AMHA only breeder to register their breeding stock into AMHR if they desire their purchasers to show the young horses that they breed. I have many horses now that are only registered AMHR as they started out AMHA only and outgrew their papers, and I as a buyer had to shoulder the expense of the hardship fees. I also realize that the AMHA only breeders are breeding for the tallest horse possable right now, as that is what is placing in the ring. Then when they realize the youngster is going to go over off it goes. Of course you would no longer be able to show an AMHA reg. only foal in AMHR, and would need to wait until age three to hardship in, so some clubs may lose money, unless this proposal does in fact encourage the AMHA only breeder to act before the proposal is accepted. With being said, I'm all for it! Love my AMHR horses!

I know a 42" mini that has AMHA parentage, so it's not an exact science. Height can be a freaky thing sometimes.

Latest posts

Back