Proper fitting halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthology

Reaction score
I have been trying to read up on getting the proper fit for my minis new halter I plan on buying.

I don;t want to order online and have the wrong fit!

Does anyone have a reliable website that details how to do this?

Tips? Suggestions?

Alot of halter companies go by weight, and I find that to be fairly accurate. I do, however, notice that in winter my mini wears one size and in the summer another LOL She just has sooo much fur!

Depending on the kind of site you are buying from you may be able to get measurements from your little ones (nose circumference, length from cheekbone to cheekbone) and have them compared to the halters for sale but that would likely only work with a smaller company
default_smile.png

I'm curious to see if someone does have a chart, that would be pretty handy to have!

Sigh....

I am looking at a nice adjustable halter online at Amazon.... It isays it is for miniature horses... But it doesnt give a guide for measurements or for weight.

Since it is adjusable, would it fit? AGH! My horse is 33 inches. you don't think it would be this hard!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the company selling the halter is not specifically a miniature horse vendor, it may or may not fit as well as you would like. Companies that just sell mini tack have an understanding of what truly fits an average mini, where as a company that sells a few mini products sometimes thinks that all minis are either really tiny or pony sized. It might be perfect or it might not fit. If you want to be more certain, I would say order from one of the mini tack dealers on Lil Beginnings.

In my experience a 33" horse will generally fit a Mini "L" size halter, assuming that the halter is one of the standard sized ones from one of the Mini suppliers such as Double Diamond, Ozark, etc. If the 33" Mini has a larger head then the XL size might fit better(and this time of year when the horses are very furry the XL may be a better fit--halters that fit in the summer may get to be rather a tight fit over the fur!).

I have learned to be wary of some of the halters sold as "mini" sized--often they are not a good fit at all--I've had a couple that were small in the nose and too long in the cheeks and no matter that the nose was adjustable it could not be adjusted big enough to fit well and there was no way to shorten the cheeks of course.

AHA! I just bought a 33 inch black nylon adjustable halter in size LARGE! I bought it from minitack.com.... I found a webpage that finally gave measurements based on horse height and went with it!

Thanks! It should fit! Glad that part is over! Now.... Off to do more shopping!

I just purchased a Large Mini Showmanship Halter for a vendor that sells all sizes (Big and Little Horses)a reputable company but the majority of their business is full size horses. The halter, reasonably priced and beautiful wouldn't even fit my yearling that is about 26" let alone the 36" guy I purchased it for.

Ordered a harness from the same place, said "fine show harness" ordered for a "B" size miniature. The bridle would of fit but looked like it belonged on a draft horse. The Surcingle portion wouldn't go around the girth of my fit 29" stallion. I was very disappointed in the overall quality of the harness.

I agree stick to a vendor that specializes in miniature horse stuff. Ozark, Prime Design, Star Lake Tack or the like. I think you will have much better luck and not end up diappointed and waiting for a refund like I still am!

Weaver makes a miniature nylon horse halter that fits my 33" boys pretty well. It is not adjustable; I do not like adjustable nylon halters. That pesky buckle under the chin gets in the way of the lead rope ring. It is not a cheap halter, usually costing about $15, but it is well made. I also like their lead ropes. They are a good weight. I do shorten them, though, as they are too long. Not every place that carries Weaver will have the miniature halter, however.

One thing that keeps a halter from fitting miniatures is the strap under the jaw is too long. It allows the noseband to go down too low on the nose and you cannot tighten it enough over the poll to make it fit. I hate a halter that hangs down on the soft cartilage of the nose.

Anyone care to count the misfitting halters hanging in the barn? The ones you don't get rid of because you need them when you are desperate.

Weaver makes a miniature nylon horse halter that fits my 33" boys pretty well. It is not adjustable; I do not like adjustable nylon halters. That pesky buckle under the chin gets in the way of the lead rope ring. It is not a cheap halter, usually costing about $15, but it is well made. I also like their lead ropes. They are a good weight. I do shorten them, though, as they are too long. Not every place that carries Weaver will have the miniature halter, however.

One thing that keeps a halter from fitting miniatures is the strap under the jaw is too long. It allows the noseband to go down too low on the nose and you cannot tighten it enough over the poll to make it fit. I hate a halter that hangs down on the soft cartilage of the nose.

Anyone care to count the misfitting halters hanging in the barn? The ones you don't get rid of because you need them when you are desperate.

If this halter doesn't work, I will definitly look into weaver! Unfortunatly, new to being a horse owner, I didn't think about the under the chin buckle getting in the way of the lead. Wish I would have though about that.

Latest posts

Back