proper breeching adjustment

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max's Mom

Reaction score
We just got a new cart that fits Max a lot better. The other one was too wide and long. Of course I've had to make some adjustments to the harness from where we used put things. Because the cart is much more narrow, we can make more loops to tighten the breeching.

I have a question on how tight the breeching should be. When Max stops quickly, his breastcollar moves forward (so there is actually empty space between it and his chest.) When we asked him to back the breastcollar was moving way forward on him- like maybe 2 inches of air). Does this mean that the breeching isn't tight enough? Is it perhaps a tad bit too low? Or is something else going on? Maybe the cart just rolls more forward than the other one?

I've adjusted the breeching so there is an inch and a half or so of room before it would push hard against his butt when he's pulling forward.

It sounds more as if the traces are too long or possibly he is not placed well in the shafts- as always pictures would be a huge help.....

When the traces are firm, no slack, the breeching should hang just barely below the roundest part of the rump. You should be able to get a hand in there between strap and rump. Two inches slack on the breastplate sounds like a little much. Where do your shafts come to on pony's shoulder?

From what you both have said, I think that where the shafts are placed in the tugs might be the problem! As the cart is new, I'm still playing with exactly where they should be. When I place the cart exactly at point of shoulder, it is in between slots on the traces. I might need to slide them further forward or back. I think maybe the traces are starting out too loose in relationship to where I've placed the shafts. I don't have pictures at the moment, but I'll play with that and see if it changes anything and try to get photos.

Latest posts

Back