Pricing foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlearab

Reaction score
I'm I barn blind????

I have 3 colts and 1 filly for sale.. all are 2006 weanlings.

I have placed a few adds and only get responses to the lowest priced ones.

My ? is.. Do I have the others priced to high?? is $1000 to much to ask for a colt who has placed well in shows and nice bloodlines?

Really would like to keep the filly, so maybe she is to high??
default_rolleyes.gif
: Sorta my plan anyway..price her high so I get to keep her..
default_wub.png
:

I know the market is down.. but see other foals priced much higher and I think mine are just as nice if not nicer..

Or Am I barn blind..???

If I have them priced too high I'd really like to know.. It will not hurt my feeling if you all say they are.. I'd really like to know...

All horses, ANY horse is worth precisely what you can get for it and not a penny more or less.

Perhaps it is the wording of the ad, as opposed to the prices you are asking??

If you feel it is and would like a hand I am happy to help- one thing I am good at is talking!!
default_smile.png

I don't think that they are priced too high, myself. BTW, I can see why you would like to keep your dun filly, what a doll!!
default_wub.png
:

Maybe some updated (clipped?) pics would be helpful. Easy for me to SAY-- it isn't like I do it myself for my own horses too often, lol! But for example, that palomino colt would show much better with some better pics, and ones showing his palomino coloring.

I think that the market is just TOUGH right now...

I agree a horse is worth the price you get...
default_yes.gif
:

I aways say and mean it when I say it

It's not the best price, but the best home. That matters to me.

I always belive pricing them too low, makes them look like a horse to purchused and then resold right away.

So want a fair price... not a high one.

I'm not sure it wording would change much. I just state the facts....HA if I got into my real feeling for them it would be one long add.

I love to tlak about my kids, human and horse.
default_wub.png
:

I've just managed to get onto the website- it wouldn't let me in earlier!!

I do not think they are overpriced at all- maybe you need to be a bit more aggressive- are they on the saleboard here as well??

Have you advertised locally???

$985.00 sounds SO much less than $1,000.00- how about UPPING the price and offering a gelding incentive??

Just throwing ideas at you, there is nothing wrong with the wording as it stands.

Yes Muffin is a doll! She is such alittle diva too.

She must have all your attention or she walks away and pins her ears back gives you that look. :lol: Fine I'm not your friend any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be a lot of things. A big part of the US is dealing with a drought, while some areas are flooding. And then since the horses are R only, you have reduced the number of people who will even consider your horses. No flames, trust me. It is a fact, however, that not everyone will buy an R only horse. And they are babies--not ready to do anything with at this point, as far as performance stuff, so that limits your market as well.

As for your filly, I currently have a horse priced a little higher than he probably should be (not on my sales page yet), but I really don't mind holding on to him a little while longer, or until the right home comes along. I completely understand!

[SIZE=14pt]I sold an average colt out of an average mare this year for 1000. he is amha and amhr. I sold his sister two years ago for 1800.00. She is average also. I have an aspc only show colt for sale now for 1000.00. I think your prices are fair.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I don't know if North Dakota is as dry as we are here in NE Montana; but if you are, people are probably struggling to come up with enough hay to feed and therefore aren't looking to expand (this year). And, since other areas are flooded, many are short on hay this year and probably not looking to expand.

I say, if you have the room, keep them for now; the prices sound reasonable (I don't know about ND, but MT only has R shows that I know of, so R horses are popular here). [Darn slow dial-up is taking too long, but the pictures that did load, the horses are very nice.]

I know I had a hard time coming up with all my necessary winter hay, but just bought another ton a few days ago, and feel much more comfortable now with the quantity I have stored for the number of horses I have to feed.

[i hope that all made sense, I seem to be having problems putting my thoughts on "paper" lately.
default_wacko.png
: ]

For the majority of the stock that I offer for sale.....I use this rule of thumb in pricing:

I price the horse at what I feel it would take for me to replace it in today's market.

When I look at the individual horse, I think, "What would I expect to pay to replace this horse?".

Then, the price seems more valid in my eyes.

Many times the price I'd WANT and the actual price I'd PAY are far apart. Then I have to get realistic about what the market is currently bringing for a horse of this type and quality.

Some of the price for me would depend on what shows they were at...were they point shows and what was the competion like? Miniature horses have not been bringing high prices here in this part of Montana. Many mares just went through the mini horse sale here for far less than normal. Even horsses with a big name on them did not bring all that much....one pretty dun yearling mare went for $650.00 and another pretty proven 6 yr. old mare with real nice breeding with foal at side went for $900.00. A 2 year old stallion who was 2005 Reserve National Futurity Ch. and 2005 Top Ten National Ch. went for $1,100.00 ! These were double registered minis. There were many 06 average colts that went for anywhere from $100.00, $150,$250......It could be that prices have really fallen due to drought, cost of shipping and money being in short supply for some. Just an observation from this area. Mary

I'm I barn blind????

I have 3 colts and 1 filly for sale.. all are 2006 weanlings.

I have placed a few adds and only get responses to the lowest priced ones.

My ? is.. Do I have the others priced to high?? is $1000 to much to ask for a colt who has placed well in shows and nice bloodlines?

Really would like to keep the filly, so maybe she is to high??
default_rolleyes.gif
: Sorta my plan anyway..price her high so I get to keep her..
default_wub.png
:

I know the market is down.. but see other foals priced much higher and I think mine are just as nice if not nicer..

Or Am I barn blind..???

If I have them priced too high I'd really like to know.. It will not hurt my feeling if you all say they are.. I'd really like to know...

Latest posts

Back