Pretty crappy year

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvf

Reaction score
It’s kinda funny how things turn out.

We had an extremely bad year this year. Lost a total of 7 horses.

It started in January when the first mare aborted.

I was disappointed, but I thought, OK things happen and the mare was OK.

Then in April the next 2 mares were close to foaling, but did still have a little ways to go.

No bags…or other signs.

The first day I find that a mare had foaled, it looked full term, out of the bag, dead foal that looked full term, but the mare had no milk.

I thought OK, these things happen, and at least the mare is OK.

The very next day, the same thing happened to another mare. So I had that foal and placenta checked out.

The lab found nothing wrong.

Then about a week later, I had my yearling stud colts out in this big paddock for exercise.

They get this turn out every day. So nothing unusual there.

Well this particular afternoon when I go to bring them in the barn, I find one of my colts laying there dead. He had broken his neck.

This hurt, he was a really nice loud frame overo.

We assumed that the boys were playing and got to running, it was spring so we had mud, we assume that he either hit the gate at a gallop or slipped in the mud. (were not totally sure)

So OK, I know things happen, but I am sure wondering at this point.

A few days later I have a mare on barn cam as I know she is getting close.

My husband and I never go anywhere, but I had bought tickets to a comedian that he likes that was going to be in town for a show.

Well sure enough, we are gone for just a little over 2 hours and I come home to find a deal foal. (It didn’t get out of the sack)

OK, if this isn’t enough…I have another mare ready to foal…..I am there for the foaling, she is a maiden, and all went like a text book delivery.

I am extremely happy to welcome this little red dun stud colt. A grandson to our 25 year old stallion and a look a like to him.

But of course it wasn’t meant to be.

It was still spring and this mare was quite fuzzy………I had clipped her hairy belly, so the foal would easily be able to nurse. Which I thought was good enough.

The foal was doing well and I thought that finally our bad luck had ended.

But, 3 days later I go to check the foal in the morning and find him barely alive.

I thought that the mare had stepped on him.

I check him out and find that his mouth and throat are full of hair.

I didn’t clip her front legs, just her belly and flanks.

Needless to say, it was too late and I also lost this foal. Believe me; I beat myself up about this one.

Then the final blow was another yearling frame overo stud that I just loved.

I had him outside and just leading him around, he reared up and came down and as he came down I heard a snap.

I instantly knew what happened.

I will never forget that sound and I live that moment over and over.

It happened so fast.

(I have to tell you, when I see people post pictures of a horse that is rearing, it just makes me cringe.)

The break was bad and the colt had to be put down.

That one was just about the breaking point for me this year.

But I guess I am tough and I love my horses and it is my addiction. So I will get over this.

Fast forward to the rest of our foaling season…..

We ended up with 7 live foals, 2 are fillies that I am keeping.

Both are special….one is from my 19 year old mare that has had RH colostrums problems in the past. (I have posted about her before)

And the other one is a mare that we bought a few years ago that is a national champion producing mare (driving)

Well I have always wanted a foal out of this mare that is sired by our old stallion.

Last year I pasture bred this mare all spring/ summer to our ol boy. He was 24 last year and had had some dental problems and really wasn’t in the best shape.

It got real late in the season and I decided that since I had not seen show any interest in this mare that I should just go ahead and breed her to another stallion….which I did.

Well I knew that I should have sent in a stallion report for both stallions listing this mare on both of them..

But I truly thought the old boys breeding days were over.

Well on July 1st our last foal was born ( I was there), when I looked at this foal I immediately knew it was Jet’s.

It was still wet so I wasn’t sure on the color, but once it was dry I saw the dorsal strip and it is a red dun.

LOL, now I had to send in a late stallion reports and pay the late fees. DNA/parent qualify.

I Don’t care….I love this filly!!

So as I said at the beginning of this book….It’s kinda funny how things turn out.

Oh, and I am not looking for sympathy. We all know that raising horses, especially Mini’s is not for the faint of heart at times.

Even though I have been doing this for many years, believe me, I still shed a lot of tears in the heartache….

But these 2 fillies almost made up for the lousy year.

Here they are….please meet.. Lincoln Park After Dark and Just Tea-Sing.

lincolnpark1.jpg

teasing1.jpg

You certainly had more than your share this year. Maybe this means you've paid your dues for a while and things will be eaiser for a time. Sorry all this happened. :no:

On a positive note, your two are beautiful!
default_wub.png
:

You do have two beautiful girls to make it all worthwhile. I would have been a mental case if I would have had to go through what you did. The very best of luck to you with the girls, Mary

I was feeling pretty sorry for myself about the last couple of years with foal loss and now I read your sad events with the horses and foals! That is absolutely unbelievable bad luck! I hope its run its course for you and glad you can be thankful and happy for your two lovely fillies.

I have never heard of a foal taking in hair - so have learned from this too.

Good Lord! Your losses were horrific and all so different!!!

BUT, the Good Lord sure did bless you with a couple of beauties.......Wow.

What a combination of I'm so sorry.......but congratulations!
default_wacko.png
:

MA

Wow, you did have a rough year. Thank goodness u got 2 lovely fillies to keep u busy.
default_wub.png
:

OMG :new_shocked: You certainly have been put thru the wringer....in a very short period of time!

I admire your spunk and drive in wanting to continue after a year that would make most of us want to curl up in the fetal position! :no: Bless you....and like someone else has already said, you've now put in your dues.....it should be easy sailing for MANY years now!

Wow Cindy - what a string of terrible luck. My sympathies for all that you have lost this year. Sometimes life just isn't fair at all. Sounds like you are doing ok though. ((hugs))

Your fillies are absolutely gorgeous!

I am getting ready to go visit my sister again in just a few short weeks - if I get an extra moment I'll give you a call and maybe we can visit a bit again. I so enjoyed my last visit to your beautiful farm! :)

:new_shocked: Oh my gosh, you certainly have had a TERRIBLE year! I am so very sorry! ANY loss is terrible, but to endure so many upsets in a year must be even more terrible, to the point I cannot imagine it! So glad you have a good outlook on things and can keep going forward with your plans. COngratulations on the safe arrivals of your new foals, and especially the new fillies that you will be keeping! Wishing you better luck next year, and the years to come!

HOLY COW!!! That's more than crappy!!! I thought bad luck only happened in 3's. You're definity due for a very long run of good luck!
default_smile.png

Your fillies are beautiful!

I admire your courage and perceiverence (sp?). Not sure that I could handle it as well as you.

I am so sorry for all your losses, My prayers go out to you. your 2 little ones you do have are beautiful.

I was feeling pretty sorry for myself about the last couple of years with foal loss and now I read your sad events with the horses and foals! That is absolutely unbelievable bad luck! I hope its run its course for you and glad you can be thankful and happy for your two lovely fillies.

I have never heard of a foal taking in hair - so have learned from this too.
Thanks everyone. I don't usually post things like this...but if anyone can learn anything from this, maybe it could help someone.

For instance, the hair on a mare in the spring......Years ago I never used to shave mares bellies, but have been doing it a few now,,and this still happened.

I just want to warn everyone, this really can be a sereious thing. Please, if you have a fuzzy mare, that is close to foaling clip her whole bottom side, anywhere that the foal could possibly reach.

Oh and Connie P.

Yes, give me a call when you come to visit your sister. I would love to visit with you again.

OMG you have certainly been through the mill this year, I don't know if I could continue after that, you certainly have a very positive attitude, good for you. Your two beautiful fillies will help to ease the pain of what you have been through, may the rest of your year get better and better.

Yvonne

OMG you sure had a horrible year to deal with, but CONGRATULATIONS on your 2 darling little foals. They definitely were worth the wait. When you talk about your old boy--is the VVJet Stream? My Woodstock North stallion has him in his lines, and 2 years ago I had a beautiful tiny dun filly out of my stallion, and a bay mare I own. Corinne

OMG you sure had a horrible year to deal with, but CONGRATULATIONS on your 2 darling little foals. They definitely were worth the wait. When you talk about your old boy--is the VVJet Stream? My Woodstock North stallion has him in his lines, and 2 years ago I had a beautiful tiny dun filly out of my stallion, and a bay mare I own. Corinne

Hi Corinne,

Yes it is Valley View Jet Stream. In fact we would have raised your studs dam. Her AMHA registred name was Valley View Little Dew Drop.

So if i am thinking right, your stallion would be a maternal grandson to Jet Stream

I am so sorry for your losses. I have been there, and all I kept asking was " Lord, What is it you are tring to teach me?"

Take all the lesson and experiance you can from what happened, no matter how awful it was. Hold your head high. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

I was told by a farmer when I had a horrible year last year, "You would only be looked upon as being foolish if you walked away from your defeats learning nothing." He is a very wise man.

Hang in there,

Carolyn

Love your fillies, the Hawk baby is very nice and the Jet baby isn't too shabby either. (Is that four socks I see?)

I hear ya Cindy, this year there were days when if somebody would have happened in with a trailer they could have had a herd of minis CHEAP. (Although I think you get the much NOT sought after crappiest year award.) I'm thinking that this means we've used up all the crappy luck and the next couple years will be smooth sailing.

HI CIndy, yup~~ that is Topaz's dam. I had a chance to buy her at one time too.. Topaz turned out to be a beautiful little black stallion, but he has been having foals of every color, including some nice palomino's which Nancy said is still coming thru from GMB. I'll send you some pics soon. Corinne

Latest posts

Back