Pregnant or not

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My girls

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a mini mare that was a rescue, I adopted her on feb 27,2013, the rescue picked her up 6 to 8 weeks prior to that along with a whole herd of mares and stallions, they were in a situation with poor nutrition, full of lice and they found 2 dead babies out in the field. The mare was checked out very skinny but, a very big belly at that time a pregnancy test was done and showed neg. When I got her on 2/27 I had a vet check. Another test was done it was neg. She has been wormed mulitple times has been on sand clear and now that she is sheded out her belly looks bigger. My question is if she had gotten bred during a foal heat how long would it take to produce a pos. test. Can anyone help with any kind of info. I can have her tested again buy at $100 a test I want to make sure my thinking could be possible. I know the test my vet uses the mare has to be 80 days bred to show a pos. I have had her now for 147 days

101_1380.JPG101_1381.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the WeeFoal 120 would be a good test to try, you do it yourself at home. If you do a search here on the forum, there are several threads with details about using the test and how to collect the urine to test it. [search box is in the upper right corner of any page.]

Here's one site that sells it: http://www.theminiaturehorseshop.com/buyit.html I'm sure there are other places to buy it, but this was the first I came across. And, the company's website: http://www.weefoal.com/

What a lovely little mare and well done you for giving her a new home!
default_yes.gif

She does look as though she might be in foal, but a lot will depend upon her age and how many foals she has had in the past. And no, a maiden mare would not look that pregnant at approx 150 days (IMO), but a mare who has had several foals will usually have an 'enlarged' tummy anyway, so tummy size is not a good way to guess if an older mare is in foal or not.

Do try the WeeFoal 120 as most folks on here agree that the results are accurate. (And dont forget to post the results!)

Thanks for the advice, the info I got when I picked her up was that she was able to breed freely nobody know how many foals she has had, but she came with papers and she is 12 yrs old.

Shes so cute!!

Im in the same boat as you wondering if my little mare is pregnant. Their bellies look alike.
default_smile.png

Thanks for the advice, the info I got when I picked her up was that she was able to breed freely nobody know how many foals she has had, but she came with papers and she is 12 yrs old.

If she came with papers, and you give me the registered name, I can look up how many foals she's had that were registered, if you'd like.

Latest posts

Back