Pregnant or not?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wings

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my little mare Dreamy who was exposed to a stallion from the 2nd of December through to the 16th of January. She was seen being bred on the 28th of December so would be due late November early December in this breeding season... if she is pregnant!

She will be the last mare to foal and the one before her is carrying a very large belly around so I have nothing good to compare her to. I'm also still a rookie breeder, this is my second year so I don't have a lot of experience judging these things and this mare is very new to me as well.

So basically I'm just after some opinions,
default_wacko.png
:wacko

Dreamy belly1.jpg

dreamy belly2.jpg

dreamy belly3.jpg

dreamy belly4.jpg

Thanks Cassie! That's her half sister hanging out with her
default_biggrin.png
My two appie girls!

At this point it is impossible to tell and with all her winter fur too. What I do is I sit next to my mares when they come in for their evening meal and I hold my hand on their tummies right in front of their udders. It doesn't take more than a day or 2 until I feel the foals moving. It can depend on the foal though as they already have their little routines going, sometimes you might need to try at breakfast bc the foal could sleep at dinner time.

Good luck

Thanks Eagle.

Her previous owners think she is, but she lost some weight when she moved in, nothing drastic but it did shift how she looked so now we are all feeling unsure! I'll start putting my hand on her belly, she is such a smooch she'll stand all day for a cuddel. Unless her sister muscles in, she loves the attention even more
default_laugh.png

Doesn't help that the mare due before her is BIG. At least the other three girls are progressing nicely and obviously!

This year one of my mares was tiny compared to the others but she bagged up first and gave birth @322 days to a perfect tiny filly so size of the belly can be deceiving. My other foal arrived at 344 days and he was much taller and skinnier and this mare was huge. Both foals have the same sire and the colts mum is smaller than the fillies mum.

Does all that make sense ?

Back