Pregnant Mare Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgurl_up

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am usually just a lurker on here who only posts occasionally. Well this is one of those occasions! I have a new mare who is in foal. It is not her first, I believe she has had 5 to date? My question lies in her behavior. She is coming closer to her due date, I believe. She was handbred then pastured with the stallion so could range from 320 days (first breeding) to 300 days (last day in with the stallion). She has progessed slowly and I have been monitoring her changes. About 2 weeks ago, her udder was full, decently hot, and hard, but not bursting full, and she was waxing! She did this for almost a week! Since then she has lost her udder? I mean, it has shrunk about half way in size with a lot of swelling in front of her udders and cooler then it was to the touch!! I discussed this with my on site vet and he wondered if she was having a phantom pregnancy, however I have felt her foal kick on multiple occasions and so have other people. I have even watched it kick her side to where her whole belly shakes! So I am doubting phantom pregnancy.

My question is, has anyone else ever expierenced this? My understanding has always been, that when the udder stays full, hard, and hot to the touch that she is getting close. But I've never seen them go backwards in progression after staying that way for a week!

Any advice would be much appriciated!

I have seen them go backwords many times. So frustrating. Theres an old horse saying that when a mares udder is a big at night as it was in the morning shes ready to foal
default_smile.png

Many times if you stall them are at night it gets big and then when they go out for the day it shrinks back again. Once they are ready it stays full no matter what

Sending good thoughts

Yes, that is what makes foaling so challenging! We once had a mare that waxed for almost a month before she foaled. She had a small bag at all times. And she carried the foal for almost 340 days before foaling.

Each mare is different. Some are as regular and punctual as a clock with foaling signs, and others are not. And some mares are very sneaky where and when they want to foal. Best wishes for you and your mare.
default_smile.png

Just wanted to chime in here and say that this is exactly what my mare who foaled 4-24 did. . .she was heavy in the udder and has edema in front of the udders and then shrank back to a tiny udder. About 7-9 days later she foaled on me!

I`ve read a few times, that a mare only gets pregnant on the last day of her season as thats when the egg is released. If this is true wouldnt that give you more idea of when the due date is?

Thanks so much for all the replies!

KayKay, I think that is what I was going on a bit and of course reading the same section in "Blessed Are The Broodmares" every night! I am not new to horses or foaling really but this will only be MY 3rd foal and it makes a person sometimes feel like they forgot everything they new! It's also a bit different when YOU are the one getting up in the middle of the night to check and not someone else! That's where this mare lost me. She had no udder changes for a week, stayed full, hard and hot, and waxed, whether she was outside, inside, you name it. I was up every hour or so thinking she was going to go. But nope! Two and half weeks later, nothing! Nodda!

I have seen the foal moving. Not for about a week though. The last time I saw movement it was back in her flank area around a week ago. I would hope if something happened to her foal that she would have aborted it by now but maybe not?? She is still making bodily changes, like muscles getting more and more relaxed. Her udder is warm to the touch, but not big.

Since I did not breed her, I don't know exactly what happened when. I believe she was handbred the first week and then turned with him out so total stallion exposure whether hands on or turned loose with him was 20 days. She did loose her last two foals with her previous owner. Born too early in the 290 day mark, so I have been watching her like a hawk! I'm praying for a healthy baby!

Tonight, no real changes. Udder is still soft and warm and not all that full. Still has edema in front of her udder. Tail head is maybe a little more relaxed then yesterday. Everything else looks about the same though except I have noticed that she seems to have had a little discharge? Kind of a fleshy color, mucus plug? We are supposed to have thunderstorms on Thursday so maybe she will go for me then!
default_wacko.png

Regards the foal moving, I have been told many times that is doesnt move hardly at all when you are getting very near the day,especially once it has got into postion. My mare is getting very close nows may be a couple of days to go I think but I have nt seen hers move for 2 days. She has had a v-shaped belly for a few days but now has pulled up and is looking rounder underneath. I am on day 359 so wish she would hurry up.

I would agree with all the above! I could also add that from personal baby having experience they tend to move less when they are almost ready to come out as they are getting "squashed" into position - also they can look or feel as if they are ready to come then change their minds and wait!

default_wink.png

Good luck with her and keep a close eye. Look out for that wobbly rump, things will be close then.

X

PS sorry about my non-technical language I just can't find the right words in my brain today.

Back