Pregnant (?) mare playing games with my brain!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendyluvsminis

Reaction score
I have a 29 mare that must have been bred last year, by my fencing jumping (even with hot wire on top) 30 inch, yearling jack. I didn't see him breed her, but I saw him breed other mares during his 3 ventures into the mare pasture, and he must has gotten her right before one of the ones I saw...I'm guessing she is due in August. She has not been that big, so I had her ultra-sounded at what I thought was 8 months, and the vet said there was definately a foal in there. A week later, she looked suddenly skinnier and really thought she might has lost the baby. I looked all over the pasture and didn't find anything, and she did not have any blood on her behind. Well, now she is filling out in the flank area and starting to get a bag. I had the vet look at her again 2 days ago and she said the mare is definately still in foal. She chose not to ultrasound her, said it wasn't necessary. As soon at the vet left, the mare started showing heat to my stallion!!! He was in with all the mares, and talked very excitedly to her and ran around (he runs arounds, kicking up his heels, before he breeds a mare--sooo happy!) and was going to breed her, but I got her right out of there, before he could. She has been having "serious" talks with him threw the fence, ever since, and raises her tail, winks and squirts! Her bag is continuing to come in. I will take some pictures of her at chore time...Is she or isn't she?

Lots of times they show to the stallions before they have a foal.

Even when they are far along? What do you think about her belly being bigger, than suddenly getting smaller? Ever had that happen? This is only my third year breeding (hers would be foal #6) so I have alot to learn and would really appreciate any and all comments! So many kind, knowledgable people here...

I have only ever had 1 pregnant mare here. But the other mares were very "interested" in her a few days and up to the day of foaling.

YUP, lots of mares come into a full heat just before foaling!!!! WATCH HER...she could be getting close!!!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back