pregnant mare in critical condition

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great news!! I am so happy for you!
default_yes.gif
How do mares do with labor/foaling so soon after surgery? I am hoping for a healthy foal and that you can bring both of them home soon!!!

Barb

Absolutely thrilled to hear the news!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Never (luckily!) had anything to do with horse operations, but is everything going to be ok once she goes into labour for her foal?

Wishing her a speedy recovery and a safe foaling, bless her!

Anna
I am not sure how she will do with labor. The vet doesn't seem to worried about it. He has a tight belly band on her to help hold her stitches tight. We haven't even mentioned much about labor and the foal because we were so worried she wouldn't make it. So I'm assuming we will begin talking about that soon.

Great news!! I am so happy for you!
default_yes.gif
How do mares do with labor/foaling so soon after surgery? I am hoping for a healthy foal and that you can bring both of them home soon!!!

Barb
I'm not sure how she will do. I will be visiting with the vet about that soon.

Yeah time to the happy dance
default_risa8.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_worshippy.gif

I an soo happy for you...Now lets all pray for a healthy baby!

My best and Blessings,

Jenny

I agree, the baby should have a good chance of survival now, especially in a hospital. I've had them born way before that and survived, some in critical care, but they did survive. I hope your mare will be okay. We just never know sometimes, you did the best you could. I will pray for your mare and foal.

Beth

Wonderful news, thanks for the update. Will continue my thoughts and prayers!

That is wonderful news! God does hear our prayers.

B

I totally agree about foaling at the vets. Have you seen the size of her incision? I am not sure if it is standard but when Britt was operated on last year her incision was very long. I would guess about 30cm.

I am so glad that she is progressing nicely and I send my prayers and best wishes for a safe foaling. (((((((((((hugs )))))))))))))

Hope all continues to go well with your mare and her pregnancy. These little gals and guys sure know how to worry us.
default_wub.png

Sad news this morning. The vet delivered a dead foal early this morning. It appears it had been dead for a couple of days. He thinks that the fat in her blood from the hyperlipidemia blocked off blood to the placenta. The foals head was turned back for a bad dystocia as well. He struggled for a while to get it out. It was a beautiful little paint. Not sure of the sex yet. The vet hadn't looked. The bright spot in this is that mare can now concentrate on fully recovering her poor body and we can get her home. Thanks for all your prayers. I still feel that this whole experience was a success. We were able to save the mare and that was my goal. I just don't know if I can ever breed my horses again. I will be so worried this will happen again. I know for sure that I will never breed her again.
default_sad.png

Oh, no. I am so sorry!!! I lost my first foal too, in the exact same type of dystocia. She lived for 4 days in intensive care, then it almost killed my mare, too. Cost me $8000 before all was said and done, thank God almost half was covered by insurance I had on my mare. I felt the same way as you. Two years ago though, I did deliver two beautiful and wonderful foals here. And am now expecting one more. I will be keeping all of my babies, and therefore I will not be breeding any more. Sending continued prayers for your mare to have a full recovery. And HUGE HUGS to you!

I'm so sorry to hear that the foal didn't make it.
default_sad.png
Here's hoping that your mare will continue to recover and will be back to her old self very soon.

Oh I am so very, very sorry you lost this foal and sometimes these things happen. I am glad your mare is still doing well and hopefully will come home soon. Don't loose faith about not having foals, I have been through some really, really tough situations myself with mares/foals. You can have more foals and so can this mare! Just have a little faith
default_wub.png

Blessings,

Jenny

So sorry to hear about your foal, but like you said, on the positive side, your mare will be able to concentrate on getting well. The very best of luck to you in the future.

I lost a filly at 10 days this year and said at the time that I will never breed anything again. Have to say, that I "think" I have changed my mind about that statement. Nothing will happen this year, but maybe in the spring. In the meantime I am enjoying my mare - took her back to the showring last weekend and will continue to show her this year.

Latest posts

Back