pregnant mare in critical condition

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indebtedfarms

Reaction score
I started a post a few days about my mare not acting right. If your horse is not acting right DO NOT WAIT! GET THEM MEDICAL ATTENTION!!!! What I thought was her just getting ready to have her baby has turned out to be a horrible case of hyperlipidemia and colic. I have her at the Sheridan Equine Center right now and they are loading her with fluids and hoping she will poop on her own but if she hasn't pooped in one hour they are going to do surgery. I asked what her chance of survival was and he said he won't even venture a guess at this point. I swear I didn't even realize she was sick. How did she become so critical so fast? I wonder what I could have done to see this coming. She is about 330 days pregnant. He did a test and said he doesn't think the foal is ready so he will not take it unless their is a chance the mare won't survive. Then he will try to save the baby. I just can't believe this is happening. Prayers are needed. Thank you.

Oh NO! Sending prayers for your mare, foal, and YOU! I am so sorry you are having to go through this!

So sorry. Praying for a happy ending
default_no.gif

Horses can get extremely sick and critical very very fast (within a couple of hours of visible symptoms...I know from experience). Time is always of the essence. I won't say what you could have done, because I wasn't there. I just hope for a good outcome. Sending good thoughts...

I am a little confused though. From what everyone says, 330 days is not at all early, so why not take the baby with the surgery and give it a chance and the stress off the mare of pregnancy? I will be praying for you, your mare and foal for the very best of outcomes.

I am a little confused though. From what everyone says, 330 days is not at all early, so why not take the baby with the surgery and give it a chance and the stress off the mare of pregnancy? I will be praying for you, your mare and foal for the very best of outcomes.
She is 330 days from the date that I actually witnessed a breeding. But she was with the stallion another month. The vet tested her milk and she is not within 3 days of having the baby. So, the baby is better off inside momma than out. They will only take the baby if they feel they will lose the mare. If she recovers from this she should be able to have the baby with no problem so it is better off to keep the baby in there as long as we can.

Oh dear, I am so sorry that you are going through this. Praying for a successful outcome
default_please.gif
default_pray.gif

I am so sorry, I will pray they both survive this. Have Faith..my little mare was very ill with colic when she arrived at the vet hospital. Yet when they tried to get a tube in her, it took 3 grown men to hold her down and she was 34" tall. They didn't give me much hope that she would survive. She had surgery and they had to cut part of her colon out. She was there for 2 weeks and then spiked a high temp. The vet called said, this is it she will not survive and boy did she prove him wrong, proved everyone wrong. She went on to have 3 foals and has no colic problems. Alive and just as ornary as ever. So they can have a great desire to live, go through all kinds of pain and come out smelling like roses on the other side. So have Faith that your little mare wants to live for herself, for her unborn foal and for you too
default_wub.png

Blessings and Prayers,

Jenny

I am so sorry, I will pray they both survive this. Have Faith..my little mare was very ill with colic when she arrived at the vet hospital. Yet when they tried to get a tube in her, it took 3 grown men to hold her down and she was 34" tall. They didn't give me much hope that she would survive. She had surgery and they had to cut part of her colon out. She was there for 2 weeks and then spiked a high temp. The vet called said, this is it she will not survive and boy did she prove him wrong, proved everyone wrong. She went on to have 3 foals and has no colic problems. Alive and just as ornary as ever. So they can have a great desire to live, go through all kinds of pain and come out smelling like roses on the other side. So have Faith that your little mare wants to live for herself, for her unborn foal and for you too
default_wub.png

Blessings and Prayers,

Jenny
Thank you for your post. It really touched me. I see you are from Wyoming too. Not many on here are. I will let you know how she does.

OMG poor you, I am sending hugs for you and prayers for mama and baby. My mare had colic surgery last year and it didn't look good, the vet operated again after 5 days and said that she needed a miracle. Well not only did she do great but she was in foal at the time and her pregnancy continued just fine.

pray.gif

Prayers coming to you all from the UK - really hoping for a successful outcome.

Anna

So sorry to hear that about your little mare - thoughts and prayers coming from Ireland for a successful outcome

Latest posts

Back