Pregnant Mare Halter Beeper

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bozley

Reaction score
Can you tell me what is a good brand to buy for one of those beepers you put on a pregnant mare's halter and about how much they cost?

Do they work well?

Thanks!

Sue

I have the foal alert system, and yes they work, but be aware if they just lay down for a little nap the beeper will still go off! I used this system for two years by itself, then decided that running to the barn everytime it went off was a pain, and I ran the risk of actually stopping labor by disrupting things. So I installed a camera system, and using the two together works great. The beeper will wake me, and I can check the mares without disrupting them, OR running to the barn!
default_488.gif

I have an Equipage system and it's great! Has saved some foals I'm sure, but as Icspots said it works best in conjunction with a camera. Otherwise you have a lot of false alarms.
default_smile.png
I'm watching one now who lays down full on her side every night about 3 am......I wake up and watch her a few minutes - from my bed! www.foalingalarm.com

Jan

Thank you for the info.

I do plan on using MareStare as well as the beepers.

Sue

I am looking into getting one of the ones that "beeps" you (which cost around $550) but in the meantime, I have a Foal Buzzer that costs around $60. It works on the same principle - attaches to the halter and buzzes when the mare lies down. You do need a baby monitor or something to relay the sound from the barn to the house, and of course, a camera so you can see what is really happening. And you need to stay where you can hear the baby monitor.

Here is one link: http://www.foalbuzzer.com/home.html

We use Breeder Alert and cameras. Over the years we have bought several and now have a total of five cameras in the barn watching five seperate stalls.

The Breeder Alert has worked great for us and like was memtioned in an earlier post, I bought them first, then quickly realized the benefits of having cameras rather than running to the barn to check to see if they were sleeping or foaling!

I have owned mine for years and they are really solid systems and they have had great customer service if something goes wrong.

I have the foal alert system, and yes they work, but be aware if they just lay down for a little nap the beeper will still go off! I used this system for two years by itself, then decided that running to the barn everytime it went off was a pain, and I ran the risk of actually stopping labor by disrupting things. So I installed a camera system, and using the two together works great. The beeper will wake me, and I can check the mares without disrupting them, OR running to the barn!
default_488.gif
I have this set up and it has worked for me.

I have a foal buzzer I bought brand new last year that I used on 1 mare that I would be willing to part with. It does work great along with a camera system with sound or a baby monitor. Contact me if you are interested or have any questions about it at [email protected].

Tammie~

Thanks for the tips everyone. I appreciate it.

Joyce, one is due the beginning of June, the other beginning of July. We are setting up foaling stalls in our garage which is attached to the house. That way we don't even have to go outside to check on them. I am very excited but nervous about our upcoming deliveries!

Sue

Okay, what baby monitor have you used that worked the best. I just got a foal buzzer(already had camera set up), and just need to purchase a baby monitor, one with GOOD range and minimal static. Thanks for you input..

I bought my buzzer and baby monitor from another forum member off the LB Sales Board, so both are used. The monitor is a Sony Sound- Sensor Nursery Monitor. It doesn't say what the range is, but there is an alarm and light that tells you if you are out of range. Our barn is fairly close to the house.

With the foal buzzers, when they go off do they reset themselves or do you have to go out and reset them? I am looking to buy a set up now, I already have a camera and will be setting the cams on line. But I also wanted to have some type of beeper system.
default_smile.png

foal buzzers only buz if they are titled to a certain point or sideways. they automatically buzz if they are tilted and stop buzzing when sitting upright. I've had the halter shift and make them go off and not right back up..but if it's just the mare laying down and then she gets back up it will stop buzzing on it's own.

Latest posts

Back