Prefix-Farm Name-%%%%%%

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummmmmmmm..........you guys are so dog-gone SERIOUS !! This has been a hilarious thread to follow !!
LaVern needs to learn how to put smiley's in her posts so that people know when she is jerking their chain!!!!!
[SIZE=14pt]Jean hi, even if LaVern was jerking our chain don't you think that this topic was important, especially for new people coming into either Miniatures and/or Shetlands?[/SIZE]

Jenny

default_biggrin.png
:BigGrin
default_biggrin.png
:BigGrin Jean, How could you ever think that I would be taking light of such a serious topic? Name dropping? It is at the core of all we do as humans. It is what differentiates us from the lower species.

Whether it is our Gucci bag or or Cadillac car. It makes a statement about who we are. It is our ability to communicate and use our vocabulary to brag that sets us apart.

Riding a name-- I'm the Queen--(must confess) At the time I bought my first Buckeroo son from Lowell, the name Boone was just as prestigious as Buckerro. No one knew me, everyone knew Lowell. So after I had purchased Rascal, I called Lowell and offered half interest in Rascal- for one dollar. ( I still have that dollar.) That way I could tell people that we owned him together and make people think that if Lowell didn't want to sell all of him he must be a good horse. Luckily he was.

I told Lowell of my plan and he laughed.

I think we all do it and I guess whatever works. Whether it is double reg. shetland-mini, a double AMHA-AMHR, an Arensoa, an NFC, a Rowdy, whatever.

But, of all the names(farm names and blood names) in the miniature horse world, the one we ride off the most, must be, the little Buckskin stallion Buckerro. People often ask how much can a miniature horse carry. Well, Buckeroo has and still is carrying so many of us.

I guess that is all there is, when it is all said and done -your good name.

I hope I got those little yellow guys in the right spot.
default_saludando.gif
:salute
default_saludando.gif
:salute

Last edited by a moderator:
LaVern... I never thought I would see the day you would think about venturing over here to Ohio and looking at some of these shetlands
default_laugh.png

But you are right ... times are changing (or is that - people changing?)
default_wink.png

I wish I had seen this post earlier ... its a hoot
default_yes.gif

default_wink.png
:wink
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
Well, Leeana I feel like I must. There is so much that I think I could improve on the Shetlands if I could just get some Shetland mares bred to some good straight miniature stallions. You know, for the betterment of the pony. I feel it is my duty. Is there a button for don't shoot me.
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png

default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
Well, Leeana I feel like I must. There is so much that I think I could improve on the Shetlands if I could just get some Shetland mares bred to some good straight miniature stallions. You know, for the betterment of the pony. I feel it is my duty. Is there a button for don't shoot me.
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
Maybe it should be for the betterment of the Miniature horses that you add new Shetland bloodlines, because lets face it all Miniature horses come from Shetland ponies one way or another. I think the Miniature horses have greatly benefited from the newer Shetland lines in my humble opinion....flame away
default_rolleyes.gif

Jenny
default_wink.png

default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
Yep LaVern - that's why we breed to the miniatures - to IMPROVE the Shetlands.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
:BigGrin OK OK - just joking - no flames, remember SANTA is watching!

I do think that there are horses and ponies that will improve either breed, and both registries have outstanding individuals.

But yep, I'm riding on poor ol' Buckeroo too!! Just about the only horses I have that don't have Buckeroo in their pedigree are those that only have one or two generations. And since we're not that far from LIttle King it's entirely possible that he's back there somewheres!!
default_biggrin.png

Oh, No, Jenny You got it all wrong. The Shetlands and all horses came from miniatures. I gotta find the right little yellow guy.
default_smokesmile.gif
:smokesmile:
default_smokesmile.gif
He's my favorite.

default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png

OMG so funny and really off topic a bit.. but since all miniatures came from shetlands..then they already have the sheltland lines and now our miniatures(and really shetlands since there are no miniatures they are all shetlands) need so much improvement.. then I guess La Vern is right...we better start crossing those shetlands on those minis to start improving the ponies

Thanks for the huge laugh La Vern with of course a slight bit of truth mixed in for good measure
default_laugh.png
and yes by the way...
default_smokesmile.gif
default_smokesmile.gif
right back at ya.. pass the bag of chips and don't forget the diet coke and cookies any type of cookies and we can hang on the front porch and talk this stuff for hours

(and yes before anyone gets their panties in a bunch I own ponies)

All I have to say is now that so many folks are getting into shetlands and shetland/miniatures, its harder to place at AMHR rated shows as all the taller minis place over the smaller ones. I for one wish there was AMHA shows here in Michigan so it dosnt feel like its a big waste of $$$ to loose to a taller mini in most of my classes just cause the new fab is taller or the judges like shetlands better.
default_no.gif

Yeah, it is tough to beat a taller horse, but if they measure in, it is fair I guess.

But getting back to the Prefix thing, I thought of something else.

Say, you were really proud of your farm name and felt you had accomplished something and you were getting OLD and FEBBLE and FORGETFUL, and knew in your heart that you could not do this much longer and you did not want to do it if you could not do right by the horses. And some young people came along and you sold or gave away the whole darn herd. Could you sell them or give them your Prefix? And would the Registries allow it? I know that other businesses sell their name.

That way they could be 100% (Farm Name) for a long time.
default_unsure.png
:unsure
default_unsure.png

Renee,

You are NOT getting old and feeble, You have many years left to enjoy the horses. Maybe that Birthday Party at Nationals made you feel old, but you're not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HA HA HA, Can't wait ti see you next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbie

I'll tell you what infuriated me! At an A-MINIATUREHORSE-R sanctioned show I overheard the decidedly prejudiced towards ponies sanctioned presiding judge say to the steward of the day "There are sure some nice PONIES out in that ring!" In every class he judged the Shetland crosses from best to worst and the worst Shetland placed over the best Miniature every time whether he/she deserved to or not.

And to answer your question Lavern: Why the heck not? It's YOUR name to do with what you please. Oh, and if you're lookin' for someone to give it to there's gonna be a lineup!

Latest posts

Back