Preemie born this morning. Sixteen Pounds !

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
Bond Tivoli had a preemie this morning. It is a silver black tobiano pinto colt. She birthed at 320 days. Hair length is 1/4 inch. I did not really expect her to foal. There are two other mares I thought would go before her. But I braided her tail last night and put a halter alarm on her. She was not fully bagged up.

She has been in the mare foaling barn for a month, but this foal would have died in the sac without assistance. I ran out to the barn when the Breeder Alert went off . I could see on the monitors that she was down. When I got out there the foal was almost completly out, but was trapped in the sac. I tore the sac open and stripped down his nose. He was alive, but quiet.

For those of you that saw this on WeFoal I thought I would fill you in with more detail.

Tivoli is tired and laying down a lot this morning but is an excellent mom. You may have to really increase the size of the screen to see the new foal as he is so tiny.

I expect he will be in the foaling barns for quite some time. Check him out from time to time to see his progress.

Off to the barn!!!!! I miss him already!

Congrats the baby is tiny!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Yes he is! And since he is a silver you have to look for him in the straw.

I need to paint a n arrow on him so you know where he is!
default_yes.gif

Like all preemies he is a little quiet. But he should pick up speed in a couple of days.

Fortunatly the barn is about 60 degrees and he does not need a blanket today. Tonight might be a different matter though. There is certainly no extra weight on him.

Glad I have baby blankets in stock! That is one item you need to have BEFORE you need it.

So glad you got there in time. Plant a kiss on mom and baby for me!
default_aktion033.gif
default_cheekkiss.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
default_no.gif
I can't see him on wefoal. Could you post pictures?I sure he is handsome fellow

i am glad mare and foal are doing well.
default_wub.png

Congrats on the new foal....my mare always foals at 320 days and none of them were considered premies maybe hes just tiny! This year she had her colt at 315 days and shes never carreid a foal over 320. They all have been healthy and I let them out the day after they are born to run around a little. How tall is the sire and dam? Does he seem weak at all? I am sure hes a cuttie!

Aw, congratulations!! And great save!!!!
default_yes.gif

I just checked him out. He was bellied up to the milk bar and seems healthy and happy to me. I can't wait for close up pictures. He looks adorable!!

Kayla, this colt has the typical 1/4 inch silky hair associated with a premie. I do know when she was bred as we do sonograms here and are accurate on our dates.

This is, by the way, a Regumate baby. The mare had Regumate the morning that she foaled. We lost an important foal two years ago with her and decided not to take any chances this time.

Other than her dropped croup and a few tiny drops of colostrum, I would not have thought she would foal. Her udders were not large.

To me, the value of a Breeder Alert and camera monitor system cannot be over stated.

A client of mine in Australia watched the birth live and contacted us last night. I was thrilled she was able to see the live birth.

These cameras really DO make this a small world.

Due to some camera problems yesterday I was not able to get any photos. I will try again today and post them. Thanks for your patience.

If you go online, make sure you right click on your mouse to increase the size of the images. He IS small. At night he has a blanket on. He was quite active last night, running and bucking.

My mare last year foaled at 312 days. The foal was BIG and very healthy.

Wow! I had to hunt around to make sure he wasn't just a tiny lump of straw!

Thank the Lord for Breeder Alert!
default_yes.gif

I looked for him earlier and couldn't find him, so I kept watching and mom finally threw some hay on him and woke him up. :DOH! He was right there the all of the time!

Shiela you comments made me laugh out loud!! Thank you. He is easier to find when he is in the blanket and last night he put on quite the show by running around the stall.

I am awaiting a foaling as I write this so I only have Feather's stall on the cameras right this moment. I will have the four stalls up after Feather foals.

Here are the long awaited photos. Sorry it has taken so long. The bucket is shown for size comparison. He is the most beautiful platinum silver. Left eye is bright blue with four socks. I am not sure about any body white yet as he is so light! He has a nice blaze though. Like all premies he need to grow into his head!!!
default_biggrin.png

Bucketpose.jpg

Left.jpg

Latest posts

Back