Prayers needed for our newest rescue

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kaykay

Just picked this cutie up today and shes in bad shape. She really needs some prayers. shes a 9 month old quarter horse filly. Very underweight. When we got her here she started eating grass and we saw it stream back out her nose. Checked her for a cleft palette but nothing there. Took her to the water and she drank like crazy but it all came out her nose. Called the vet. He said shes having a choke episode. Tubed her and he felt the blockage move. we waited about 30 mins and still grass coming out the nose. The vet said by tonight it should be better or she may have done permanent damage to her pharanyx.
default_sad.png
Well shes still not better. But Im going to stay hopeful and keep praying. edited to say the vet thinks shes been choking for days but the owner wouldnt call the vet out. when we got her she had stuff streaming from her nose but we thought she was just sick. she has a touch of pnemonia from aspirating hay into her lungs

Also her back hocks are horribly swollen but we arent sure why. Doc said could be a very heavy parasite load. Or could be because shes been standing on concrete. I was worried it could joint ill but he didnt think so.

Anyway here she is. Vet estimates shes 1/2 the size she should be.

rescuebodyshot.JPG

swollenhocks.JPG

here you can see the grass coming out her nose

headshot.JPG

backview.JPG

swollenhocks3.JPG

Last edited:
Prayers coming to you and that little filly. I hope that she is better soon and that it's not too late!

[SIZE=12pt]Seeing her and hearing her situation where she could have been choking for days brings tears to my eyes. Bless her heart. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Sending prayers and lots of hugs to that precious girl... Please keep us posted on her condition. I hope it's not too late for her... Shannon [/SIZE]

Still not so great this morning
default_sad.png
Also i just want to add that we only took this girl in because she is such an extrememe case. Time was of the essence with this girl. Still dont know if we got her in time but im hoping we did.

Oh I almost didn't look, these things hurt me so but I had to look. She is so pretty and how any owner could ignore her troubles just breaks my heart. Have you asked your horse neighbor expert to have a look see? Poor darlin...is se on anti inflams or antibiotics and probiotics? Fecal check for worms? Poor darlin...she says her name is Mary...at least to me.
default_wacko.png
: If I can help holler.

I'm sure that your vet knows what he is doing just wondering if you have used Oxytocin? We had a terrible case of choke on our QH mare in the spring, she had stuff coming back through her nose and our vet had us give her oxytocin as he was on his way out and then after tubing her and no luck we gave her another dose and it did work!! I also had to give some to a mini stud we had!! Just a suggestion!! Best of luck with her!!

i was just out hand feeding her again. (i have to hand feed her or she eats too fast because shes so hungry) I think she is finally swallowing better. Not great but better. I keep talking to her and massaging her throat. Shes on antibiotics and 1/2 bute for swelling. Cant give her too much because shes so underweight. He estimates her weight at 450 which is way under what a quarter horse foal should be. h2 i will ask my vet about the oxytocin thanks for the tip. hes supposed to call and check on her this am.

I hate it because shes so dang hungry but I can only give her small amounts.

Thank you everyone for your prayers.

does anyone have suggestions on her hocks?? She does have an old scar of a cut down one back leg. Or maybe it was standing on concrete all that time??

oops wanted to add my neighbor had knee replacement surgery and is still not up and around very well. but i am thinking of just calling and picking his brain. we are having a major storm today ughhhh

Last edited:
I hope everything turns out okay and thank you for taking her in and giving her a chance
default_smile.png

Champ

Hi Kay,

I just want to add in case anyone reading this has to try Oxytocin for choke, do not give to pregant mares!! It will cause labor, but is perfectly safe to use if not pg!! We have had the hocks stocked like that before on one of our reining horses after the QH Congress, from being on the concrete, we used banamine, bute and I also used liniment!! It took awhile but they did get better after about a week. Keep us updated!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Hey Kay? Have you named her yet and I applaud you for taking her..large or small...she is an equine but most of all she's a needy child. You deserve "nothing" but good words for taking her in. :aktion033:

Glad you took her in.

I like the name Mary.

I am not an overly religious person, but it just seems fitting for this time of the year.

default_wub.png
:
default_pray.gif
:

This is amazing, when i first saw her picture i thought to myself: If she were mine I'd name her proud mary.

I name all my female horses names inspired by songs, and my boys get names inspired by characters in books, tv shows or movies.

How interesting that so many have thought of "mary" when they saw her.

KAYKAY,

IT IS GREAT THIS FILLY FOUND YOU ALL. WE ARE SENDING PRAYERS YOUR WELL. WE HOPE SHE GETS WELL SOON.WE WOULD LIKE TO THANK PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO WILL HELP OUT THE HORSES IN NEED. :aktion033: :aktion033: KEEP US POSTED ON HER.

AS FOR HER NAME MARY SOUNDS GREAT.

TAKE CARE,

MELISSA

Oh Kay I hope it works out for this poor girl, I'd hate to see her pass on
default_sad.png
Thank God for your rescue. I have no help for the hocks, sorry. But she does makes a good Mary.

Kay,

I'm glad you got to her. I hope her legs are only swolles because of standing on concrete. Have they gone down much? Does walking seem to help them?

Christy

the swelling in her legs is going down!! but her drinking is getting worse again. waiting for the vet to call back
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back