Prayers needed for our newest rescue

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:no: Poor girl! Just makes you want to cry when you look at her. Proud Mary sounds like an excellent name.

Fran

Kay,

I'm glad you got to her. I hope her legs are only swolles because of standing on concrete. Have they gone down much? Does walking seem to help them?

Christy

Hi Kay -

Newer member here. I'm so glad that this little girl has you to care. I'm wondering, has anything been done to keep her hydrated since it sounds like she's not keeping stuff in? I'm sure your vet is probably taking that into consideration, but I have to say that I've suggested things to my vet more than once and sometimes given them some ideas. . .

Renee in Iowa

Kay if there is anything i can do PLEASE let me know. I dont know how long you will have her but Lexas has yearling size winter blankets and halters to spare if you need anything i would be more then happy to send you some for her.

I get so heartbroken to see horses in that condition but at the same time i am just so happy to see she is finially getting some TLC and care. :aktion033: :aktion033:

default_wub.png
:

How interesting that so many have thought of "mary" when they saw her.

I think SHE has been telling all of us what her preferred name is..... Makes perfect sense.

Kay, she is so very lucky to that you have her! Kuddos for all that you are doing. Sending Prayer and White Light her way.

(BTW, part of the reason I feel she's choking may be medical, but part is that she was starving and doesn't know how to "graze". Was she living in a group?)

MA

Kay is at the vets right now. From what I've been told, Mary was in a stall or barn on cement and did not have access to "grazing" or even a clean place to stand. There are other horses at this facility in the same condition...the Humane Society has been called. Apparently Mary has a cleft pallet but they think they can help her. Please pray for Kay and Mary.

Ginny

[SIZE=12pt]I'm glad the vet thinks he can help Mary. She looks like a precious soul... I was going to add that when my two QH mares spend any time at all on concrete in the crossties, their hocks swell. Maybe QH's are just sensitive like that. But a little exercise or just walking around helps the swelling go away. Poor girl, if she's been on concrete for a long time, it may take a long time for them to go down. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Please keep us posted on how she is doing tomorrow. ((((((HUGS)))))) to Mary! Shannon[/SIZE]

That's a ray of hope for Mary that the vet thinks they can help!
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

HUGS TO BOTH KAY AND MARY!!!! HANG IN THERE!!!
default_wub.png
:
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

Ginny, please tell me what a vet can do to close a palate on a filly. I'm folowing Mary's story quite closely. It touches a place in me, like so many others. My prayers and light are with them.

I hope she is doing better soon.

On the legs... just had a problem a few months ago with my soon to be 2 year old QH gelding. He likes to spend a lot of time in his run in shed and he is a very heavy sleeper(he snores too
default_smile.png
so we know he sleeps really well). His shavings have to be pretty deep or he rubs the sides of his hocks and parts of his back legs on the ground. He did this and it caused an infection. Both of his back legs looked like the fillies. Vet put him on SMZ's. Swelling went down within three days or so. A friend of mine just told me that people don't realize you also, have to bed down stall mats really well too. She had a filly that got a swollen area on her knee ( I believe it was the knee) from rubbing too much on the mat too. I have mats in my barn which are pretty well bedded. Just didn't have enough in my run in shed which is fully bedded now.
default_smile.png

Good luck with her. She's a cutie.

Kim

Wanted to check in. I have been thinking about her all night. Prayors going out to all horses involved, god bless you kay (and Fran to im sure, i see her yellow truck there in the background)
default_wub.png
:

Her legs look to be "stocked up" I havent read any responses yet so maybe someone has already said this but it can come from a horse who has been standing (not necesssarily on cement but could be) and not getting alot of excerise.

I did have a school horse who stocked up bad overnight and if he sat for a couple of days it was bad as well but once he started working it went down kinda like well people who have swollen ankles from poor circulation or lack of movement ect...

Latest posts

Back