Prayers need please My mare finally foaled

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hey everyone

foaled at 2:15am this morning.

i have had a long night,. my mare who lost foal last year foaled a nice black tovero colt with two blue eyes. the birth went great, but foal isn't nursing well. i gave him igg per vet until vet got here. the vet came this morning. the vet tube him with igg. the vet check his levels they were great, but he isn't nursing well. he is sleeply lately. please pray he does well. i am egg shells. i pray my sweet dream colt makes it. i have wanted him all year long. he is so cute and tiny. i will try to post photos later. i have to give him igg every 1 hr to 1 1/2 by mouth. The mare dripped milk for 2 weeks. the mare was 18 days late. he came out sucks but isnt' doing so well at sucking now.the vet said if he will nurse more he should be fine but i am worried he isn't nursing enough/ the foal has pass the bowel stuff. prayers please

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You keep saying the vet gave him igg? An IGg is a test to check their plasma levels to make sure they got colostrum for their immune system. Did you vet give him plasma? That is done IV with the foal sedated usually. He may be a "dummy" foal and with aggressive treatment they will sometimes pull through. But you need to be tube feeding him his mom's milk every 2 hours around the clock if he does not nurse.

I will be praying and encourage you to seek a second opinion if you are not happy with what is going on or answers you are getting. Foals go down hill fast and the faster you act the better. The foal needs his mom's milk!!

I'm assuming you mean the vet tubed your colt with colostrum? Did your vet also give you a 60cc syringe to milk the mare, and another one to put a small amount into the corner of his mouth? Did your vet show you how to do either of these things? If he is sleeping alot you may have to wake him up every hour and stand him up and try to get him to nurse, if not you will need to milk the mare and feed him yourself with a syringe being very careful not to let him get it in his lungs. VEt should be called back out around now, since it has been 12 hours since his birth to check him. You may ask your vet about some antibiotic shots since he has haad a rough time of it. That's about all I can offer you for now. Keep us updated, and good luck!

so sorry to hear your foal is not doing well , you have been given good advice on here but I think you should phone the vet again to be sure you hav understood his instructions , tell him the foal is not doing well and you want him to come back , be polite but firm , if you do not act you may lose your foal

he is nursing more now thank God. When he sleep he is standing up. i have be giving him igg by mouth every 1 to 1/2 hour i also get him to nurse during this time. i am so tired. i haven't been to sleep since 1:35am which is when i got up with her. you all be careful with your foaling alarms mine has always been great, but this time i had bad dream woke up to see my mare about to foal thank God I woke up.

kee prayers for my fellow

the vet tube him with colostrum

IMAG0147.jpg
here he is few hours old

AAWW! God Love Him, he is too cute. I hope Saint Francis already has a place in his heart for this little guy and that his prayers to our father will inspire him to keep him safe.

thanks i am in love he has two blue eyes as well. i think he is tovero what you all think?

i have be giving him igg by mouth every 1 to 1/2 hour i also get him to nurse during this time.
What do you mean by giving him igg... do you mean you are syringing him some milk/colostrum? There is also not really such a thing as 18 days "late" - foals come when they are ready and our calendar and supposed due dates have nothing to do with it!
default_wink.png

I hope he continues to do well!
default_yes.gif

he is doing better thanks for the prayers.

he is nursing like a champ now thank God.

i love him we have bonded all day

Congratulations to your cute little colt!
default_aktion033.gif
Glad to hear that he is doing better!
default_aktion033.gif
Please post more pics of him if you get a chance! Maybe after a liitle bit more sleep!
default_wink.png

So glad all worked out well and your very pretty colt is nursing and being a normal colt. Very Nice and Congrats!
default_aktion033.gif

Blessings,

Jenny

SOOO cute! Looks like that black spot on his butt crosses over the centerline of his back? If so I believe that makes him a Tobiano, but I'm not an expert. I am a sucker for blue eyed paints though! Good luck.

So glad he is better! Sounds like he was bit of a dummy foal. he is adorable and I love his off the side face marking. That really gives him a dishy face!

Back