Poultice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justagirl

Reaction score
I have a horse whom I believed has injured his stifle and I would like to make up a poultice to apply but haven't a clue what to use .

If you have experience with this type of treatment , then I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks in advance

How did (s)he injure it? I have dealt with many leg and joint issues, and the veterinarians have never had me put a poultice on it. Sometimes just cold water or colt compresses if the animal fell on it (such as a knee) to reduce bruising...

A stifle is a weird joint to injure, so I would guess you would want to treat it more with drugs and anti-inflammatories?

I would go with what your veterinarian recommends.

(Did you actually see the accident? I personally have never come across a true stifle injury, and most issues are stifle-lock related ones)

Andrea

Actually this was a full sized horse . I did not see the "incident" , but apparently my nieces were riding and put the saddle on improperly and when they got on the horse started bucking so hard she bucked the saddle down her back and hips and around her hind legs . This horse is dead broke so I'm certain they didn't have her saddled properly.
default_frusty.gif

I have been giving her meds and rubbing her legs daily with linement which has helped a lot but she is still very sensitive to touch only around her stifle of the particular leg I'm speaking of. The vet is coming out Thursday ... already had him scheduled before this incident.

I just thought I could give her a little more relief by applying poultice ( was recommended by a fellow rider , not my vet) until the vet gets here.

Any thoughts ?

First thing is, if the injury is not fresh, poltice is not going to do what it is intended to do. poultice draws heat, that is its only purpose. So unless the area is generating heat, there is no point.

What I do before i poultice anything is cold hose it for 20 minutes or so. The stifle is going to be a hard area to wrap, so I would go with a product called "Stay Sound". It is basically poultice, but you don't have to wrap over it. If you use regular poultice just cover the area with about 1/2 inch layer of poultice, then wrap the area with a WET brown paper bag, then use a regular wrap over that. If you don't use the paper bag you are going to ruin your wraps. I will take the wrap off the next day, cold hose the area(which cools it but also cleans the poultice off, which gets hard and crusty and sticks to the hair) and then re-do it as necessary.

Good Luck!

First thing is, if the injury is not fresh, poltice is not going to do what it is intended to do. poultice draws heat, that is its only purpose. So unless the area is generating heat, there is no point.
What I do before i poultice anything is cold hose it for 20 minutes or so. The stifle is going to be a hard area to wrap, so I would go with a product called "Stay Sound". It is basically poultice, but you don't have to wrap over it. If you use regular poultice just cover the area with about 1/2 inch layer of poultice, then wrap the area with a WET brown paper bag, then use a regular wrap over that. If you don't use the paper bag you are going to ruin your wraps. I will take the wrap off the next day, cold hose the area(which cools it but also cleans the poultice off, which gets hard and crusty and sticks to the hair) and then re-do it as necessary.

Good Luck!
No there's no heat anywhere in the leg anymore , there was the first couple days , it's been 6 days now since the "incident" .... but I will kep this tid bit of info for future reference .

I'm not in a position to say if you need a poultice or not and have only set bowed tendons but I will answer your question on what to use.

I use Antipholgistine

This is how I prefer to make a poultice on a leg if anyone needs to know:

Get a brown paper bag and tear it into strips.

Soak them in a bucket of water

Hose the leg and get it wet

Then start applying your poultice by smearing thick portions completely around the injured leg until you cannot see the horses leg

Then take your strips of brown paper bags and start wrapping them around the leg. Do it nicely and as even as you can get them

It will be messy and you may have to keep adding a bit of water while you apply it

Then apply a leg quilt, you might need two of them it just depends

Then a track bandage or polo wrap

Now it will "set" but you need to keep the horse stalled at first then hand walk only if it is going to work

http://www.jefferspet.com/product/antiphlo...b-tub-10135.cfm

Latest posts

Back