Potomac Horse Fever vaccine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilnickers

Reaction score
The vet is due to arrive here for vaccines any moment(she's late). My question is: Who gives Potomac Horse Fever vaccine and what state do you live in? Thank you.
default_smile.png

Since I had a horse come down with that last year and it cost me $3,000 to save her. absolutely.

I am in Michigan

I have always in the past but have not the last couple of years after talking to a few people, I am however in MI and after ruffians post I am reconsider my vaccine protocal. I hear that horses around water are more suscepitable, they think its the snails that carry it. Anyone have anymore ideas on causes and symptoms so we know more about it?

Well, my vet rescheduled
default_unsure.png
I understand,ruffian, after what you went through, why you give PHF vaccine. I have a nearby friend that ended up losing her old mare due to it being caught too late.

You are right ,mightymiracles, about the snail carrying it from a water source such as a pond, stream, creek, etc. nearby. I have a creek out back and water runoff through 2 pastures. I have always vaccinated against PHF, but this year, I have more horses and was curious what shots I dare eliminate to pare down the bill. But my theory has always been, "it would cost much more if a horse had to suffer the consequences of not getting the shot".

Sooo,I have decided to vaccinate 3-way and Rabies to the broodmares now(about 4 wks prior to foaling), and wait till after the foaling to do the WN and PHF, therefore the bill would be in 2 installments instead of one.

I was hoping for more input on the PHF vaccine, too.Maybe it is not that common.

Thank you for replying
default_smile.png

I am in SW Oklahoma and don't know of anyone here who vaccinates for it. But we are in a pretty dry area.

I talked with the University of Ohio about this vaccine as they intially thought that was what Tiny had (turned out she did not) problem is the vaccine is not very effective. But they did say horses that were vaccinated tended to not get as sick but still got PHF

KayKay is absolutely right. I have a friend here in Michigan who vaccinates for Potomac Horse Fever every year and her gelding still came down with it. As KayKay indicated it was a much milder case.

Latest posts

Back