Possibly bred Misty?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I've got some questions. What is hair colic? Do I need to shave Misty's belly? It is still pretty cold here.

She looks as though she's developing quite an udder! Can you get a side-on picture for us so we can see how the foal is lying - down on your knees so that you are at Misty's level (sorry!).

Just been reading your earlier posts - are you still lunging her? if so, I would stop now that she's getting closer to foaling. If she has plenty of pasture space to move around in, that will be fine for now, or you could take her out for some in hand walks if you live in a safe area - great for bonding time!
default_yes.gif

How are your pregnant goats progressing - anyone getting near to kidding?

I took some more photos but didn't post them because I thought it was too soon to post side shots again. I know most people don't take them every day like me! I lunged her 3 times since I've gotten her, but mostly have been doing hand walking because she goes so fast when I lunge her and it makes me nervous for the baby. In her mind, when it is time to work, she wants to work, none of that walk or trot business.

edited to add another photo

mistyleft3.jpg

mistyright3.jpg

mistyudder3.jpg

mistytop.jpg

mistyudder4.jpg

mistyudder5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From these pics I am going to guess that she isn't pregnant. She has put on some weight and is nicely covered now and her tummy doesn't seem so bloated.

posted 17th Feb

803921_10100604883830095_786147031_n.jpg

posted today

/monthly_03_2013/post-45104-0-91266200-1362492475_thumb.jpg

Ladies do you remember Jess's mare's udder? it looked very similar to Misty's don't you think?

I think she's pregnant, well I hope so! We dont have her history, so maybe she has had foals before and this is the way her pregnancies progress. But I do think it is a little difficult to tell as she has put on so much nice condition recently and therefore changed shape somewhat.

Guess time will tell! LOL!!

Well I hope I am wrong but her udder really reminds me of the udder Darla had. Maybe Jessj would be kind enough to post a pic of it for us too see.

Have you tried the mare pregnancy test? I'm not sure what that one is... Think it's called "Wee Foal"? Think some of the mini horse tack sites sell it... I know others on this list have used them.

Also, yes, your vet should be able to draw blood and tell if your mare is pregnant. Don't know if they can determine how far along she is - personally the last time I had it done that way in 2009 - it was a $100 charge. It would have been much less expensive had I had the mare palpated or U/S - however that vet didn't do that with ponies smaller than 13 hands and neither does my current vet... My current vet does do external U/S @ $45 per test and that is ususally less than the Wee Foal w/ shipping IF my vet is already at the farm doing other things...

http://www.weefoal.com/ - US based - but site hasn't been updated since 2010?

http://www.weefoal.net/aboutus.htm Canada based

I looked into it and biotracking does a blood test for 25 dollars. I think I'm going to do that. Apparently the test for horses is more complicated than the test for goats and the blood has to be treated differently. Not sure why?? It annoys me that the tests for goats are only 10 dollars and the blood doesn't need to be chilled, but the horse one is over twice as much and does have to be chilled. Oh well. I'm going to suck it up and send it in.

Have you tried holding your hand on her tummy just in front of her udder whilst she eats her feed or drinks? If there is a baby this is the easiest time to feel it kick.

She does look to be pregnant. With these naughty ladies tho you never can tell. I thought my Bindi musta been a month away from popping from this photo in December,

7 dec 12.JPG

Turns out she was sneaking mars bars out of our fridge.

Misty is such a pretty girl, would be nice to see a baby from her.

I really don't know what to think. Her belly moves like the lady who posted a video's mare every time she eats, but it is up high and I'm not sure if it is just digestion movements or what. To me, she seems huge, but her udder seems to have gone down.

The grass in the paddock is almost gone so I'm basically dry lotting her and the goats now. Misty is getting 2 big scoops of alfalfa chaffhaye twice a day, along with a heaping cup of mare and foal twice a day, and free choice coastal hay. (All together, her and the goats end up eating about 2 flakes of coastal hay a day.) I think she's gained weight since I've started the grain, but I honestly don't know what a healthy weight for a mini looks like. Please let me know if you think I'm over feeding her, it won't hurt my feelings. The goats eat free choice chaffhaye, but I'm just really nervous about letting Misty do the same.

The biggest change is the bonding. She and I have bonded a lot and she's bonded with my goat who just kidded, Charlotte. She is certainly part of the family now and I'm head over heels in love with her. I wish I would have gotten a mini earlier. I love horses, but have never found a full sized one that really fit with me. Turns out, I needed a mini. I just love her.

I'll post more photos in a second.

Latest posts

Back