Possibly bred Misty?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normally I would think that her program is ok but she does have a large belly so if she doesn't have a bun in the oven I would imagine that it is from lack of protein. Diane will fill you in more as she is far more experienced than I am.

It is hard to see in your pics is there any chance you could take some profile shots form the other side with her head up?
default_please.gif

I will take photos this afternoon of both sides with her head up and post them. Thanks for all your help ladies!

Put your hands on her too, I imagine even in TX they are pretty wooly, so hard to see anything; and feel her ribs and backbone. How easy is it to feel her backbone, hips and her ribs?

The profile shots are from today, the front shot is from this weekend, the back shot is from last week. I didn't think to get updated front and back shots today. Sorry!

misty3.jpg

misty4.jpg

misty5.jpg

misty6.jpg

She has been on a big grassy pasture with a small cup of horse feed morning and night with regular wormings for the past 6 months, she also had coastal hay.

Edit: I forgot to say, she feels fat over the back to me, and over the ribs.

Last edited by a moderator:
/monthly_02_2013/post-45104-0-19395800-1361642642_thumb.jpg /monthly_02_2013/post-45104-0-51872500-1361842035_thumb.jpg

There does seem to be some change in the shape of her tummy, when was the first pic taken?? Any chance you could take a new pic of her udder when you get time
default_please.gif
I find it easier to judge the udder if the pic is taken from in between their back legs. Just lower yourself down to knee height and lift her tail
default_yes.gif

I'll take them tomorrow for sure. It is funny. One day I'm convinced she isn't, the next day I'm convinced she is. I feel every night when I feed and feel nothing though.

She does seem to be growing
default_thumbup.gif

/monthly_02_2013/post-45104-0-51872500-1361842035_thumb.jpg /monthly_02_2013/post-45104-0-60165500-1362023574_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry for the confusion. She was getting 1 cup of horse feed aka "grain" twice a day at her last home for the past 6 months. Since I've had her, I've switched her over to alfalfa chaffhaye twice a day (9.5 percent protein) and all the coastal hay she wants because I was told she was probably not pregnant and I was very afraid for her health being overweight. I've read that being overweight for minis is very serious. I can't feel her ribs or hips or spine easily at all. She certainly has a layer of fat over her back.

I do feed my heavy bred does (goats) grain, but Misty doesn't have access to it more than maybe a little nibble that falls on the ground. I'm going to the feed store tomorrow and I'm going to buy mare and foal feed and the purina free balance. How much should I feed her?

Misty has had foals before though I don't know when. The first udder photo was the first day I got her, the second was from tonight. Her udder wouldn't look like that as a result of prior foals right?

These are photos of her 6 months ago when she was first rescued by my friend. Doesn't help much, but I thought I'd share.

edited to add a second photo.

mistyold.jpg

mistyold1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great pics, it makes it much easier for us to understand how she is doing.
default_thumbup.gif

Charlotte kidded with twins today. The brown one is a buck and the blue roan is a doe. They were both sold before they were born, but I get a little while with them at least. Misty was nickering to them and trying very hard to mother them. When I wouldn't let her she decided to try and mother their mother.

I put Misty on mare and foal today, and increased her alfalfa chaffhaye as well. She was spunky, trotting all around.

babygoats2013.jpg

Oh those babies are just so cute - many congratulations!!

Incidentially, research says that for a mare to go through labour and birth is on par with a fit racehorse undergoing a very hard race!! So it is up to us to get our wonderful mares as prepared as we can for this effort - plenty of availability to get exercise and some top speck food to give them all the nourishment, vitamins and minerals that they will need. Great to hear that Misty is enjoying some 'play time', always a good sign that they are feeling ok - well done you!!

Latest posts

Back