Possible Strain?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrymini

Reaction score
Hey all

Was lunging my little stallion today and he wasn't really into it. His head was bobbing slightly more than normal so I just got him to walk around for a bit to suss him out and I noticed his back left foot kinda clicks (no sound, just looks like a click) when he walks. Is only slight like you wouldn't see it if you weren't looking for it. It looks like in the pastern/fetlock area. Is this a strain? I was lunging him about 4 days ago and he was fine, trotted quite fast. I'm wondering if he hurt it then.

Anyways, will this heal with rest or will walking him help it?

Thanks

default_smile.png

Strains aren't very common.

If the long digital extensor is short (or if his feet are at the wrong angle), then the release in pressure is to pop the pastern forward. Most of the time this can be corrected either by a trim or an improvement in body condition.

Dr Taylor

Can you keep him on turn out for all day and all night? The free exercise will help and if he needs to rest it he will. I wouldn't force exercise on him. You might also try some liniment or mineral ice.

Strains aren't very common.

If the long digital extensor is short (or if his feet are at the wrong angle), then the release in pressure is to pop the pastern forward. Most of the time this can be corrected either by a trim or an improvement in body condition.

Dr Taylor
Ok thanks, he is in bad condition, fitness wise, which is why i started lunging. I purchased him in April were he was sharing a small yard for three years with the other mare I also purchased. They didnt have room to run around. This is the same mare that I mentioned a few months ago on lb that showed stifle lock symptoms after she galloped around my paddock. Now she recovered after about a week or so but I have noticed that she consistantly gets stifle lock about a day after I've seen her bolt or gallop. I'm thinking the three years in a smaller yard hasn't been the best thing for them. At the moment they are both out 24/7, she is in a large paddock and he is in a smaller one but still has room to canter around when the gelding next door stirs him up. I've got vet coming out monday to look at my mare, but has anyone got ideas about possible causes (incase the vet has no idea).

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry, forgot to mention that when he was lunging the second time the foot that has the issue kinda rolled a bit like when you roll your ankle. I checked where he'd lost his footing thinking there was maybe a rock but it was just dirt, no reason to roll.

Is it wise to work a horse lunging or in circles with a stifle situation? I would think straight lines.

Is it wise to work a horse lunging or in circles with a stifle situation? I would think straight lines.
Sorry, my last post was a bit muddled. The mare has the stifle problems, the fat stallion I was lunging had no problems.

I checked him a few times today and he's gotten a lot better and tonight he is walking really well. What would be the best approach to getting him back into exercise? Leave it a few weeks? Then when I start should I only walk him till he's really fit then start with the trotting again?

Thanks

I would hand walk and trot him 3-4 times a week for a while, in addition to the daily turn out and food control. This method would be a way to also work with his ground manners, roadside &/or new encounter manners, etc. Not saying he is/has an issue with any of these ONLY that the gentle introduction to such work and movement has other benefits.

If you have an area with some grade to it, small hills also have benefits for hips, legs, fetlock, etc. in strengthening, stretching and using those muscle areas to better prepare for heavier use. Just like you would need to build up slowly, so will he.

Sore muscles hurt -- I speak from my own pains
default_whistling.gif

I would hand walk and trot him 3-4 times a week for a while, in addition to the daily turn out and food control. This method would be a way to also work with his ground manners, roadside &/or new encounter manners, etc. Not saying he is/has an issue with any of these ONLY that the gentle introduction to such work and movement has other benefits.

If you have an area with some grade to it, small hills also have benefits for hips, legs, fetlock, etc. in strengthening, stretching and using those muscle areas to better prepare for heavier use. Just like you would need to build up slowly, so will he.

Sore muscles hurt -- I speak from my own pains
default_whistling.gif
no, he could do with some more lessons in ground manners lol. When I do start lunging him again would sand be better for him than grass in the round pen?

update - vet came out yesterday and sussed out my stallion and said he was fine, yay! will start back up slowley tho

Latest posts

Back