Pleeease help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy Hogan

Reaction score
I could really use some input from those who've experienced a dental issue with their mini. Handsome has a molar root that apparently has become infected and has ruptured through the bottom of his jaw. To be clearer, the tooth has not ruptured, but the infection from the tooth created this "blow out." He is on antibiotics. We are waiting 5 days to do x-rays etc. to see what has developed.

Please, if anyone has experience with this I'm all ears. I'm really kind of frantic over the whole thing.
default_no.gif

Thanks!

Peggy

Well... the closest case I've seen, the recommendation was to put horse on antibiotics (for longer than five days). If the infection cleared up and saved the tooth (see with x-rays) then all was left alone. Otherwise, the tooth could just rot and fall out on its own. I think the course of action you're following so far is spot on.

I wouldn't worry about it, worrying will do nothing and your horse will likely be just fine. This is a wait-and-see type of thing.

Good luck,

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no personal experience but from what I've been told by a couple others, this can be very hard to clear up. It appears to heal & then suddenly pops open again. A number of years ago I had a horse with a sore under its jaw, and I thought initially that this might be the problem--I asked around and did some research at that time. Fortunately it turned out that this wasn't the problem with my horse--he had just a minor problem that was easy to clear up, thank goodness.

Good luck with your horse.

Thanks for all prayers and words of encouragement. I wonder if there is an archive on this issue?

Well... the closest case I've seen, the recommendation was to put horse on antibiotics (for longer than five days). If the infection cleared up and saved the tooth (see with x-rays) then all was left alone. Otherwise, the tooth could just rot and fall out on its own. I think the course of action you're following so far is spot on.

I wouldn't worry about it, worrying will do nothing and your horse will likely be just fine. This is a wait-and-see type of thing.

Good luck,

Andrea
I agree with Andrea. It may take longer than a five day treatment, but just stay on it and I bet things will be fine. Good luck!

I could really use some input from those who've experienced a dental issue with their mini. Handsome has a molar root that apparently has become infected and has ruptured through the bottom of his jaw. To be clearer, the tooth has not ruptured, but the infection from the tooth created this "blow out." He is on antibiotics. We are waiting 5 days to do x-rays etc. to see what has developed.

Please, if anyone has experience with this I'm all ears. I'm really kind of frantic over the whole thing.
default_no.gif

Thanks!

Peggy
DON'T BE ATITHER..IT HAPPENS..MY GOLD HAD THE SAME THING AND WE HAD TO HAVE THE TOOTH CUT OUT. IT WAS 6 INCHES LONG "L" SHAPED AND HAD TO COME OUT IN 2 PIECES. HE IS GREAT NOW ..JUST HAS TO HAVE FLOATING EVERY 3 MONTHS ON THE TOP ONES THAT DON'T GET ANYTHING TO GRIND AGAINST..

Hey Hogan so sorry to hear that Handsome is under the weather with this. Had something along those lines with a Quarter Horse a long time ago so a thought besides anitbiotics would be to ask your vet for something for pain and possibly a round of probiotics. Hopes for a speedy recovery for talented little Handsome.

Hey Hogan so sorry to hear that Handsome is under the weather with this. Had something along those lines with a Quarter Horse a long time ago so a thought besides anitbiotics would be to ask your vet for something for pain and possibly a round of probiotics. Hopes for a speedy recovery for talented little Handsome.
Thanks Marty,

He's getting Banamine for pain and I'll do the probiotics...thanks for the reminder. This is the little guy who rings the bell for the Salvation Army and he's my main therapy horse. Makes me sad
default_no.gif

Wanted to update the Handsome file:

Vet saw him and did xrays today. As you predicted, the antibiotics have been continued. I'll know more once the xrays are read. I should post a picture of his thing, it is really quite amazing. Thanks to all who are helping me with this.

Latest posts

Back