Old Gelding with nasal discharge

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
Had our 21 year old gelding to the vet's clinic today. He has a single nasal discharge (smelly!). No temp, eating well, etc. Vet found a tooth at the back that was quite suspicious (next to last one, of course!). It had a hole in it and was fractured up and down vertically. It wasn't really loose; but he decided the best decision was to pull it. Took a bit of effort. It was decayed; but he seemed have gotten all the root. Now he will be on antibiotics for several weeks, flushing the mouth out on that side several times a day. And we will hope to see that discharge clear up. Otherwise, he said he will x-ray his face on that side. I guess to check the jaw and gutteral pouches. We are all hoping that the tooth was the culprit and that the removal and antibiotics will clear it up. (ouch the bills!). Anyway-just wondered if any had had their own experience with something like this? I will let you know how our old fellow goes along.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too was going to suggest a tooth - hope it is the answer and he recovers very soon.

We just had this happen to our 30 year old gelding this spring. He didn't have any nasal discharge, but a lump on his face, and his eye was tearing. His breath smelled awful. Once the tooth was pulled, I too had to flush the socket and he was on tucaprim for seven days. All better, but yes it was exspensive but worth it.

Yes I have seen this in an old stallion I had....in his case it never really cleared up after the teeth were pulled because the tooth roots are so close to the sinuses erosion caused openings to form and food and saliva would sometimes pass into the nasal passages. In his case though he had no molars left, all had loosened and when one was pulled basically all the rest fell out....

That said he remained healthy and fit for 4 more years before we lost him at the age of 29.

I too was going to suggest a bad tooth when I saw the subject line. So glad it's all been taken care of already. I am sure he'll feel so much better now!!

Wow, thanks for sharing. I'd never heard of this in a horse (before we had something similar - see below), but had seen it in a human friend... It's a lot less expensive to deal with in a horse than with a human, LOL.

As to a tooth - we had a Hackney mare that was eating "off". She'd had her teeth done just 3 months before, so I really didn't think they were the problem, but I couldn't get her mouth open (my one real fear when doing anything with equine is teeth, getting my fingers crunched or getting actually bitten - I'm death on feeding treats and will "almost kill" a horse that starts biting or nibbling) far enough to see an actual problem... So up to the vet's office we went.

She had a broken molar in the back - split just like yours vertically. The 2nd half - was imbedded in the side of her cheek!! This was on the bottom but the vet said that if it had been on the top, that it would probably have done the same as what several of you describe. Anyhoo, both halves of the tooth were pulled, she was on antibiotics and also got her mouth flushed a couple times a day to keep food particles out of the "holes" as they healed. I'm happy to say that she healed fine, went on to eat well again and wear a bit while both ridden or driven. I sold her for a children's lesson pony to a dressage barn at the age of 25 and she was still "working" at the age of 29, but I'm not sure how many years longer she lived as it wasn't long after that that I lost touch with the barn...

Just wanted to do a quick update on our boy. He has been doing fine. The nasal discharge cleared up within 3-4 days of antibiotics (he has 2 weeks worth though) and there is 2 weeks of flushing. He had been eating before, but did seem a little "down" in personality (I'll bet it felt lousy); but in just 3-4 days you could see a more alert "cheerfulness" in him. Feelin' better! Vet called to check and said we probably have it pinned down correctly. Hopefully all will be well now!

That is great news! Glad to hear he is feeling himself again!

Glad you caught it in time and consulted a vet rather than home medicating. Tooth infections can lead to abscess that can become fatal if they rupture. So glad to hear he is recovering.

Latest posts

Back