Pleasure driving outfit question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
I know it's a bit early to be worrying about what to wear when driving as my boy is only a 2 year old now and won't be shown in harness until next year. But, I noticed in all of the photos I've seen online that ladies wear dresses or gowns when showing. Now, where I come from, it is expected that one wears a gown for Stakes classes or evening classes, but typically one wears a nice day suit in a pleasure class (either a qualifying class or a class before 6 pm). Is it in vogue to wear gowns in all Pleasure Driving classes in AMHR, or have I maybe just found the photos from Stakes/evening classes and that's why all I see are gowns?

AMHA tends to be fancier than AMHR and more into the evening gowns in general from what I've observed, but in the AMHR shows here in the Pacific NW at least you will almost never see an evening gown even in the Stakes classes. The men wear suits, the women wear skirts or pantsuits or some sort of blazer arrangement and everyone has a good time. I've never been to any of the larger Regional or National shows but I suspect they follow the "fancy dress after 6PM" rule like the Arab shows I grew up with do. Most people advertise with their horse's National photos so it's not too surprising we see so many dresses in the magazines.

Leia

Most often you'll see those glittzy dresses at AMHR Nationals and then only in the evening. You would still be fine at that show with a nice fancy suit or top. I think some just like to use it as an excuse to dress up as where else can you go these days and dress that fancy? My first Nationals I took the bolero jacket that I had been using all year and simply added crystals to it (ok, a LOT of crystals).

Especially for local shows, don't bother with the gowns. save that for Nationals.

I usually just wear what I'd wear for halter classes in my driving classes (except Roadster of course). I wear slacks and a nice top.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back