Please keep my Merry Beth in your thoughts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just talked to Jerry...he said you are back out in the barn.....DARN YOU>>>>you better have your winter coat on!! No, you can NOT sleep on top of the shavings with your little girl. Monday you can take her to the vet. I am no expert by any means but she's standing, alert and pooping she may just have the holiday blues. Did you switch Christmas Music...is there a light out in your fence....is Sonny stinkin up the barn??...sorry, just trying to make you smile!

hugs

Hang in there Marty, You are doing all you can.

Thinking of you

xox Leonie xox

Oh Marty just got home from our Family Christmas and read this,

Thinking of you and Merry Beth, sure hope she takes a turn for the best
default_wub.png

Lots of
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
coming your way.

My concern is no water intake.I tried everything (applesauce, kool aid, Gatorade, honey, brown sugar)to get my mare to drink and finally poured some molasses in a dog bowl and she licked it up.then we made molasses broth and she slurped it down.Got lots of water in her to keep her hydrated.No idea what is going on with your mare but keep us posted and good luck.

Marty, only one suggestion I'll add if she's still not eating - you might syringe some Karo syrup into her along with the other things you are doing. Hope things turn around and she bounces back quickly.

Jan

I still can't figure out where the poop is coming from but there was yet another pile and it looked normal as usual. I have to wonder if My Archangel is in the barn secretly feeding her candy canes behind my back. How ironic, Michael once made me a sign that hangs in the barn that says "Protected by Angels" Michael are you helping me out here or what tonite?????
default_hypocrite.gif

Merry Beth is in a matted stall with shavings and I decided she needed something softer so I made a big fluffy warm bed of hay to lay down to rest. Came back in the house to get her a bucket of warm water, when I returned there she was laying down in her hay nest and nibbleing on some hay!!!!!!!!! She got up when she saw me coming back and drank about 1/3 of her bucket of warm water. THEN SHE ATE A CHRISTMAS COOKIE!!!!!!!!!

default_risa8.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_488.gif
default_thumbup.gif
default_xbud.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

I baked special horse Christmas cookies for the barn and didn't realize that must be some pretty good recipe I came up with because she was begging for another. I tried her on a little bit of her food I mashed with applesauce and she ate most of it too, then went back to nibbling on some hay. Not sure if it was the banamine that is helping her or what exactly but time will tell. I'll be checking on her every hour tonite and hopefully by morning she will be feeling lots better and won't have to go to the hospital. But to cover my bases I still would like our mobile vet to come out and look inside her mouth just in case I am missing something. I'm such a parnoid I don't want to count my chickens just yet but the way its going right now, I'm already smiling and I'll be caroling my head off all day tomorrow while putting new ribbons in the Prancer's manes!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting my day off right with some good news about Merry Beth. Hope she is still on the upswing this morning. Yes, Marty, I am sure your archangel is watching out for you and Merry Beth.

((((HUGS))))

Barbie

I am praying your girl keeps showing inprovement, and you have a nice uneventful holiday this week. Keep us posted.

Good morning Marty!

I am sorry to hear about Merry Beth, but glad it appears she is turning around for you. I hope that she continues to improve for you.

This is good news!

Beth

I am happy to hear she is drinking. I use molasses water at shows or if someone is not drinking. Actually in Aulstria they give molasses water to kids when they get dehydrated they found out that it is like a natural electrolyte. I know mine I have to watch one mare she will drink and drink. It is not a problem it is good at flushing the kidneys but you get a very wet stall.
default_wink.png

Yaaaaayyyyy!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Go Merry Beth!!
default_new_multi.gif

I know exactly how you feel so big, big hugs from Washington!

Leia

This is the best Christmas news!!! I can only imagine the relief you felt to see her eating and drinking again. God bless you and your little mare and I hope the new year finds her gobbling her food as per normal. It brought tears to my eyes to hear she was eating finally, very good news indeed.

I have to watch one mare she will drink and drink. It is not a problem it is good at flushing the kidneys but you get a very wet stall.
Not to hijack Marty's thread (and I'm happy to hear Merry Beth is improving!
default_smile.png
) but drinking too much can also be a problem. I have one who will drink so much he flushes out electrolytes & all the good stuff as well. I intended to show him as a yearling but he just didn't thrive, had no energy and no muscle tone. Blood work was all normal but he was drinking excessively. I still have to watch him and restrict his water if he is stalled, which I hate doing, but we finally have him back to normal & energetic. Just an fyi.......
default_smile.png

Jan

We ended up taking her to the hospital early Tuesday morning when I found Merry Beth just not eating a thing again and laying down. I was really beginning to second guess myself because Merry Beth wouldn't eat unless she was on banamine and I just got scared that maybe I was screwing around with something else and had to be sure I was on the right track.

We did miscellaneous tests and a blood work up and tested manure; by the way, there is some new test they do from manure that tests for more than worms......so we did that test too. We don't have a worm problem and I didn't suspect we did.

But the other results are crappy.

I was on target with the ulcers. All her blood work is very low and of course from not eating doesn't help, and we did need a tooth float so we did that too while we were there.

So Merry Beth is now on a full blown regimine of You-Name-It.......she's got it! Gee whiz every time I go into the barn I have to do "something" to her, she's so sick of me by now I'm sure. I was told this is not going to be a quick fix and to prepare for a very slow healing cause this is a bad one. Crap crap crap.

The good news is that when we got home and unloaded Merry Beth, while we were still parking the trailer in the barnyard and she went right on over to the open bale of hay in the isleway and began to eat the tarnation out of it already so something is kicking in thank heavens. So I let her do that until dinner time. She is eating in small amounts, I do dampen it, but she is not quite back to her full ration just yet, and is also eating her hay and drinking water. I can tell her stomach is still sore so I give her plenty of pity and mercy and promised I would quit bothering her with the ribbons and bows. Darn stupid ulcers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back