Please Judge My Horse!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celia

Reaction score
Hi all, just was wondering what you experienced mini-folks thought about my horse from a judge's/professional standpoint. I'm not going to show him until, most likely, summer '11 (unless I can find a just-for-fun day-show nearby; my other mini is ailing & can't accompany him, so I wouldn't want to serperate them).

He is a black medicine hat pinto gelding, about 31-32 inches (I have yet to get an exact measure on him) and will be turning 10 this summer.

Now, he isn't registered--well, I mean, he technically SHOULD be but he's not really...long story short, the people we rescued him from "never got his papers...we swear..." *rolls eyes*

These pictures are from last summer....he was nine, and had just been gelded & rescued, so he was not in top condition as far as that goes ("Holy Macorole! Where did all my testosterone go???"
default_laugh.png
and "Wow...you mean...we get turnout, and you feed 3 square meals a day here?!?!?!"
default_no.gif
). So that was going on there, too.

But anyways, if you can give me back any feedback on my little boy--do you think he could at least make it out of an open/pleasure show without being completely humilated? That's the last thing I would want! I'm just bad at judging conformation...not to mention, I'm a bit biased.
default_wink.png

Links to pictures:

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt66/th...pg?t=1263078352

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt66/th...09/P1090023.jpg

(He was standing like this by himself in turnout!) --> http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt66/th...09/P1090024.jpg

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt66/th...otoShoot013.jpg

~Celia

P.S. I wish I had a video handy...he has SUCH a fancy trot!!!

Hi all, just was wondering what you experienced mini-folks thought about my horse from a judge's/professional standpoint. I'm not going to show him until, most likely, summer '11 (unless I can find a just-for-fun day-show nearby; my other mini is ailing & can't accompany him, so I wouldn't want to serperate them).
He is a black medicine hat pinto gelding, about 31-32 inches (I have yet to get an exact measure on him) and will be turning 10 this summer.

Now, he isn't registered--well, I mean, he technically SHOULD be but he's not really...long story short, the people we rescued him from "never got his papers...we swear..." *rolls eyes*

These pictures are from last summer....he was nine, and had just been gelded & rescued, so he was not in top condition as far as that goes ("Holy Macorole! Where did all my testosterone go???"
default_laugh.png
and "Wow...you mean...we get turnout, and you feed 3 square meals a day here?!?!?!"
default_no.gif
). So that was going on there, too.

But anyways, if you can give me back any feedback on my little boy--do you think he could at least make it out of an open/pleasure show without being completely humilated? That's the last thing I would want! I'm just bad at judging conformation...not to mention, I'm a bit biased.
default_wink.png

Links to pictures:

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt66/th...pg?t=1263078352

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt66/th...09/P1090023.jpg

He is beautiful and you love him, all that matters.

LILDRUMMER

(He was standing like this by himself in turnout!) --> http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt66/th...09/P1090024.jpg

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt66/th...otoShoot013.jpg

~Celia

P.S. I wish I had a video handy...he has SUCH a fancy trot!!!

I am a bit confused (or maybe biased!) as I thought from the heading that you were talking about Pleasure Driving shows, but you don't say that he drives, so I guess not???

My suggestion would be to get him registered with the Pinto association (www.pinto.org) if there are any Pinto shows that you could get to. And train him for some performance classes anyway (e.g showmanship, trail-in-hand, hunter over fences, driving. At the Pinto shows there is a big emphaisis on performance and there are all kinds of awards you can win. In our area the shows are fun and very family-oriented. I think he could hold his own in halter competition there and give you valuable show experience at the same time! You should be very proud of him!!!

And let me add for others who might have the same questions: don't let poor conformation stop you from showing!! Our sweetest, "cutest" and most versatile mini also has the poorest conformation. We didn't show her for several years, and then when we did, she started winning performance classes and beating our "show" horses!!

It's too bad they didn't get his papers, I like him and he could hold his own in a show ring. I would take the suggestion and at least register him PtHA, go have some fun!

It is only $200 to hardship him into AMHA. I would go to the expense to do that. I think he would do well.

I show Pinto also and the shows are a lot of fun and you get some great awards! He definately would be easy to get registered Pinto. I don't know about your area but we also have "open" shows locally that include mini events in them and are great fun and not a lot of money....and your horse doesn't have to be registered.

I like your little one! I think you should definitely show him.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I think am going to look more into the PtHA.
default_yes.gif

Sorry if I had any confusion in the title; I guess I meant more like "fun shows" rather than pleasure. That's a showing-newbie for you!
default_wacko.png
Though, that being said...(and I don't know if you can judge just by some photos; so I'll give some personality pointers, too) what kind of Conformation/personality type makes for a good driver? My other mini who WAS my driving prospect has Equine Motor Neuron Disease (whole other story *rolls eyes*) so he at least will not be able to drive for A WHILE, if not ever. So could my little pinto Calvin be a driver? He has a lot of forward motion, and a fancy gait--plus, puts a whole new meaning into "All go and no whoa." (!) He is super smart, very responsive to verbal cues, and has up to now (well, when our footing isn't covered in ice XX) been SPECTACULAR at jumping. I want to persue some more jumping this summer, but wanted to know if I should concentrate on that, or do "double-duty" and can split his attention/atheticism between that and driving? Or would it be a better idea to get him Really thorough in one area before I even attempt at another? Again, I'm all new to this, so ANY advice you have about ANYTHING (that is at all whatsoever relevent!! LOL), Please feel free to give your two cents!

Thanks again!

~Celia

Check out the Lil Beginnings Driving Forum for lots more about driving. TEMPERAMENT is actually the most important thing (after soundness) in picking a good driving horse. Some driving purists may disagree, but I (and most of the people at our pinto shows) think you can drive and jump - and do halter, showmanship, and trail, with the same horse. Our Mini Division High Point award at each show is hotly contested!! Being forward is a good thing for a driving horse, as long as he isn't super spooky at the same time. And being smart (I have one of those!), your boy might be happier doing more than one thing anyway.

And as you will read on the driving forum, if you are new to driving, it is best to get some help, at least when you get to the point of actually hooking to a cart.

Good luck with your cute boy!

Anything is appropriate for a fun show as long as it is sound an healthy. So if that is what you are looking for, find some classes you love to do and go for it!

I like him
default_wub.png
I am not experienced enough in showing to give an expert opinion, I just know what I like....and I think he's a good looking boy. Nice that he has been "rescued"

Thanks, Genie
default_smile.png

Okay...so I am currently on the PtHA website...and also majorly confused...which form am I supposed to fill out? D: (I am a youth....I want to get a membership & register calvin...so where am I supposed to be??)

Heh heh please excuse my spontaneous confusedility. Wait...that's not a word...
default_wacko.png

~Celia!

The website is confusing. Hold your cursor over the word "pinto" in middle left of screen and a menu should appear that has "forms & resources". That will have a list of forms including the registration & membership forms. Some of the rules and specifics for horses don't apply to minis. For example, they don't divide minis by "type" so you can leave that part blank. And for sire and dam just put "unknown".

He's a pretty guy, isn't he? Here's my honest opinion of him, based on the photos. It's so hard to get a real feel from photographs, so I may be a bit off base. For in hand classes, I would work on his hoof angles. He looks to me to be a bit steep, especially in the left fore. It would be interesting to find out what his hoof angles are. He has a little of a downhill balance, but again, that may be the photo. He has a lovely shoulder and a well shaped neck, but he does tie in a touch low to really get into his bridle high. For in hand, his croup is a bit too rounded for me, but as a performance horse, I'd say it would be a help as it looks like it will be easy for him to get under himself. Likely, with work, you could stand him out of the croup issue. It doesn't surprise me that he's a fancy mover. He's build for it from the back end and the shoulder makes me think he'd have nice scopey movement. JMHO
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Merci for the clarification on the PtHA site...& a "thanks!" to Mominis for your evaluation!!

Okay...since my threads always seem to morph into wayyyy different topics, anyways, might as well keep going on this one....So...I am brainstorming for Calvin's registration application, and was wondering if you have any suggestions for his name choices? This is sooooo exciting...!! hee hee...can you tell I'm a newbie??
default_laugh.png
ha ha!

Up to hearing any suggestions!

~Celia

Celia,

I think he is a good quality little boy and kudos to you for rescuing him.

Do you know anything about his reigtered name, association? You can contact AMHR, AMHA and ask for a duplicate copy. There is a form you can down load. You just need to have the last people that held his papers sign off, and you will be able to get it. I had to do it with a mare I had. pain in the rear, but worth it.

The PtHA is also well worth it. Especially with his markings.

Hope to see you are there showing!

Ellen

My opinion, for what it's worth
default_wink.png
, his neck ties in a bit low so the AMHA or AMHR halter classs probably not gonna do good. However, the Pinto depends on how many minis attend and who they are using for judges. I've said here before that the Pinto shows I attended here my state were a real "trip". One judge actually commented on how my stallion "looked just like a little horse". Wow, some judge huh! Many of the shows I went to the minis were backyard pets that were not registered. So depending on what the competition is in your area you might do well OR not.

I've also been to open shows around here. That's another world! The minis were somewhat more competitive when they showed up. I often ended up showing against ponies (yeah, anything under 14.2 is a pony) and full sized horses in both halter and driving. My filly won some of those halter classes and she isn't usually given much of a glance at the breed show. There again you have to just go, have fun, and see what happens.

Other than his neck looking a bit thick which may affect the way he drives too (breast collar has to fit somewhere), I like his overall appearance. Good luck!

Of course, if you were going to aim for performance or driving, it is a whole different ballgame!!

Sorry this is so confusing, so many different opinions etc, but I do think you need to get him AMHA reg while you still have the chance. As said, for a gelding it is not that expensive and it would be well worth your while if you intend to show. From AMHA registration you can then register into AMHR, and the world is your bi-valve of choice!!!

PtHA , yes, of course you should do that too, he is a loud (marked) pretty boy, and none of the pictures, IMO, are good enough for a proper evaluation except to say, as you already know, he is not in shape. There is plenty of time for that.

Kudos to you for taking him on and especially a big standing ovation for gelding him, how many times we have had people "rescue" then keep entire horses with far less going for them, so well done you.

He looks like a fun, flashy little guy. If he were mine I definitely would get him out and do lots of things with him, obstacle, driving, showmanship - whatever the two of you enjoy
default_smile.png
Good luck with him

Back