PLEASE HELP. Mare won't let stallion breed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniluver

Reaction score
default_sad.png
I have a mare that I thought was bred because she hasn't shown to a stallion since the end of April. She happily breed several times and then never acted in heat again. I took her to be ultrasounded and she was not pregnant but she had several follicles on each side and one dominate one that was 29 mm. I was told that size should be fairly close to ovulating. I would think she would be showing to the stallion and even letting him breed but she won't. I am getting so frustrated with breeding and breeding mares and them not settling. (The stallion has been checked and is fine) The stallions don't act as if she is in heat either. Can anyone give me any suggestions? :no:

Listen to the stallion, they know when the mares are in heat. If he isnt intrested she probably isnt in.

Two possiblities at play here.........

One is that your mare has "silent heats". This could mean hobbling the mare for hand breeding (which I hate doing.)

The second is that your mare has a preference in her stallion! And the one you want isn't the one that SHE wants!

MA

Sometimes the mare needs to switch pastures with the stallion, to throw her into a cycle.

Ive tried this before with heat sucess, within a few days of pasture switch.

This way she can smell his smells and visa versa.

Also a mare may not be in a full swing ovulating heat,durring a cycle,- so the timing may be off for a breeding.

I agree, wait it out til they "both" act intrested, and then breed them no more than once a day.. Usually they prefer the cool of the morning, or later in the evening or sunset.

You can tell if they are intrested if you bring the mare to the fenceline, to meet the stud, and let the stud snort/ or talk through the fenceline "nose to nose" with her.

"If she is ready", she will usually squat and pee for him..

If she is not intrested, then she will pinn her ears, or just act bored, or annoyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 29 is tiny for a full sized horse, I don't know what minis ovulate on but its pretty small. My guess is the stallion isn't wooing her the way she wants
default_smile.png

If there is one thing that I learned, it's to "listen" to my stallion

He knows; he always knows.........

So I trust him and take my cue from him.

A follicle of 29 is still pretty small - mine usually ovulate around 40 and tend to grow about 3 mm per day. If she has several follicles she may still be doing some transitioning - watch and wait, let your stallion tease her daily and see if the attitudes change on both of them within the next week or so. Also, the follicle alone is not the only thing that needs to be "right" - she needs to have a uterus that is ready & waiting with the proper edema and also a cervix that is soft & pliable - if these things aren't also in full swing yet, she will be unlikely to conceive even tho she is showing a visible heat cycle.

This mini breeding stuff can be really frustrating - & EXPENSIVE!

It has been a bit of a weird season here. I have a mare who lives with her stallion, she's had 2 foals by him and unless she's just ready for a divorce lol, they are compatible. He bred her last in early April, I assumed she was in foal and overlooked her when we ultrasounded. Had her in the barn this week and she is showing to the young stallion big time, but not to Echo. He is interested, tried a couple of times to breed her and she kicked him away. Don't know what gives.

Had another ultrasounded with a big follicle (thought she was bred). She stood perfectly fine for the stallion and is now I hope in foal, but she didn't show to him at all although she was very receptive to him last month, and has a foal by him at her side so he's not a stranger.

As I said, strange patterns here this year.

Jan

I have 9 stallions on my place, 8 under 34" and one over. Normally I do not breed mares to stallions taller than themselves however I have one mare who refuses, even when in full blown heat, all eight of my under stallions but stands for the taller one! For two years I did not get her bred until I gave in to her wishes....

Also when working on an arab farm we had one mare who would NEVER stand for a stallion. Had to anaesthetize her to breed her, and I mean lay her right down on the ground and AI her. She took when bred that way.

I'd say that mare knows who she wants to breed her and no one else will do !!!!!

Back