Platform Mini Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuelqhs

Reaction score
I don't have a way to weigh my mini feed. Does anyone know how many cups of the mini feed = 1 lbs? Thanks a bunch

Sorry, I don't have that feed available. However, the textured and pelleted feeds I do have run from 5-6 oz per cup. I'm sure someone will know and post for you. If not, measure up a cup, put it in a ziplock bag and take to your post office, if they aren't busy, I'm sure they would be more than happy to accommodate you or take to the grocery store and weigh.

I think I read some where that 3 cups equals 1 lbs. When reading the directions on how to feed that, the chart on the back is based on 150 lbs, so you'll need to make additional calculations if feeding a mini that weighs more than that. Also, that is based on feeding 1% of the horses body weight, average is closer to 2%, which included both hay and grain.

1 8oz measuring cup of platform miniature horse feed is approx. .31-.33 of a pound (3 cups equals 1 pound). I took it to my local deli counter and had them place it on a digital scale. Thank God they know me, anyone else would have thought I was a quack!

Carolyn

Thank you for bringing this topic up. I was going to ask the same question myself, because I don't have a scale either. This was very helpful information! Looks like I am under feeding my baby! I will slowly, over a few days, work her up to where she should be! :eek:

Thanks for letting me know how much to feed. I didn't really read the bag just the chart that was on there. Poor girl, I way under fed her last night. Only gave her 1 1/2 cups. All well she always has free choice Alphalpha (sp) hay so i'm sure she didn't take it that hard.

Now I need to take her into the vet and put her on the dog scales so I can see what she weights right now.

Thanks again

As a test farm for this feed, I wanted to make sure I was closely monitoring what I was feeding each horse so that I could monitor the results for each horse.

I bought a simple food scale at my local hardware store. And I DO weigh it. Remember, this is a PELLETED feed -- and it crumbles easily (making it highly digestible). A cup full of intact, unbroken pellets will weight quite a bit less than a cup full of broken, crumbled pellets.

My suggestion, spend maybe $10 for a scale. Then you know exactly how much you are feeding.

Edited to add:

And I suggest that you monitor the results for each of your horses closely - and not feed just by the weight of your horse. I have weanlings that weigh around 120 to 180 pounds and then get 1/2 pound both morning and night, and as they mature/grow this will be increased as necessary. I have a mature stallion that weighs around 350 pounds, and he gets 1/4 pound both morning and night. As I see them gaining or losing "bloom" I adjust accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Jean on watching your horses and adjust their feed as needed. Some may need more; some may need less.

I use a scale that I got at Wal Mart in the housewares section. Where the kitchen gadgets are. They have several different kinds and are very inexpensive.

I have an antique spring loaded dry goods scale that can be calibrated that works really well. Got it a yard sale for really cheap.

Definitely adjust based on what you see. I've got a 3 year old who had been starved who has gained weight steadily. Right now he gets just over a pound since he gets free choice hay (or as close to free choice as we can). His pasture mate who had also been starved, a mare, will only eat about 3 cups of food (under a pound) but loves the hay. She is also steadily gaining. The 8 year old gelding gets the least but seems to be an air fern. That being said, I have a 14.1 hand Quarter pony who is almost a thousand pounds and requires very little grain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Jean on watching your horses and adjust their feed as needed. Some may need more; some may need less.

I use a scale that I got at Wal Mart in the housewares section. Where the kitchen gadgets are. They have several different kinds and are very inexpensive.
That is where I got mine it was 7 bucks.... has a little bowl to way grain and I can take that off and weigh hay it goes to 5 lbs I think maybe a bit more I never need it that high so dont pay attention.

Before I got it I took a baggie of all my feeds put in one cup and off the grocery store I went to weigh

Latest posts

Back