pinto genetic question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
Erica's cc - her gorgeous new colt has prompted me to ask this question.

Is face white - blaze- with parents with no apparent white not even a blaze at least in pictures. A sign of the horse carrying a pinto gene. Trying to find out why the combination produces such loud color. Our new stallion has a blaze but neither parent appears to have any white at all in pictures could this be a pinto gene. I know I'm rambling and I hope you understand what i'm asking. Can we expect his foals to possibly be pinto when bred to a solid mare? Is there something I should test for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Photos are always helpful to comment.

But in general, solid horses are just that, solid. No facial white.

Pintos can be so minimally marked that color may only occur on the face, or with small socks or coronet bands.

It is very helpful to have photos of the sire and dams, but as has been mentioned before, genetic testing is also very useful for the tests that are available.

As new tests continue to become available, we will likely all be changing our descriptions of what our horses genetically are.

Yes, IF your horse carries pinto he can throw it. But he must have a pinto gene in order to throw pintos.

Just having pinto parents does not guarantee the horse received the pinto gene from his parents. They must have received a pinto gene in order to pass it on.

If neither parent is a pinto, then he cannot be a pinto.

The Rowdy line is the one line that I personally am careful of. Often his line carried the frame gene (though in a very minimal form) and still produced some loud pintos. I would consider this line to be an exception to the common rules, and as I have a frame breeding program, anything that has Rowdy in it is tested for frame (lwo) prior to breeding.

All the Pinto patterns carry face white except Tobiano.

Frame does not seem to carry leg white,in minimal expression, however.

So a horse with what used to be called "normal white markings" has Pinto, yes, but in that minimal an expression it is more likely to be Sabino/Splash or Tobiano than Frame.

There are no such things as "normal white markings" all white is caused by Pinto.

There are several genes that may produce white on the face and/or feet. While a lot of people don't recognize these as being "Pinto genes" when there is only a tiny bit of white on the face, many of these genes can also be expressed as large amounts of white, possibly on other areas of the body as well. Animals with only a little bit of white (or no visible white) don't usually produce loudly marked pinto foals seemingly "out of the blue," but it does occasionally happen.

OK i'm very pinto color challenged

but I found a front view pic of his dam

and she does have a blaze but no white on her legs

============================================

But here are pics of our stallion

he is a palomino so hard to see the white

but in person it is more pronounced

he has a crooked blaze and front white socks too not sure of the back legs yet

as he is still dressed in his winter woolies but he appears to possibly have socks only in the back

buzz2010-11winter051small.jpg

front legs

buzz2010-11winter006small.jpg

You would not be able to register him as Pinto but, yes, he is.

Without some white on the mare to help it is rare for a pinto as minimal as this to produce a "real" Pinto, but it is far from impossible.

Well, I can say that sometimes a horse without a lot of white can produce loud color. My Jewell is sired by a chestnut stallion that has socks on both front legs, one hind leg has a half stocking and the other has white to just over the hock. He has no white on his face. Jewell's dam is a solid, so she had no pinto gene to contribute. Jewell's color all came from her sire. This is Jewell:

Jewell_1sm.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
"it is rare for a pinto as minimal as this to produce a "real" Pinto, but it is far from impossible."

*sigh*

Latest posts

Back