pigment

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy2m

Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that my 20 month old filly is loosing the pigment around her one eye. She is fed a 10% complete pellet from purina and T/A hay, and free choice purina minerals. Any ideas what it could be? If I can get her cooperate Ill get a picture.....Thanks, Kathy

Any chance that she has appy background? Sometimes they can take years to start showing characteristics.
default_yes.gif

I bought what I thought was a quaterhorse/TB filly. She was 6 months old when I got her. I didn't have her but 2 months and she modeled on her nose. Then she did get a couple of spots, across her shoulders. Not quite what I thought I was getting. Go figure.

Any chance that she has appy background? Sometimes they can take years to start showing characteristics.
default_yes.gif

Not that I know of, her mom is pinto, dad chestnut, and she is roan, grandsires are pintos too.

I had a bay horse with no appy in his pedigree I owned his sire and dam as well as had both before and after full siblings.

There was no doubt he was a bay and not an appy and he started losing the pigment around his eyes and then it moved to his muzzle. He never did get mottling he just literally lost the pigment and went from a dark muzzle to a pink one

it was very bizzare and the vet felt it was just a skin disorder other then that he was perfectly healthy

Here's a question and answer article from The Horse that discusses vitiligo, loss of pigmentation around eyes, muzzle etc.

Why the White Spots? by: Marianne Sloet, DVM, PhD

I'd like to ask a question about my horse's skin problem--depigmentation. He is a 10-year-old chestnut Hanoverian gelding with dark eyes and eyelids. But now there is a pink spot on his left upper eyelid and I think it's getting larger. The skin hasn't changed, only the pigmentation. At first I thought it was an injury, but his keeper disagreed. I have read about lack of copper, but his blood copper level tested OK. He also is a little bit thin, but he used to be thinner. I tried to find information about the skin problem, but I found only the following statements: "It exists but nobody knows why," or "It can disappear or not." Could you tell me something more about this problem? Dominika

The name of the disorder is vitiligo. Like most disorders of pigmentation, vitiligo is only a cosmetic problem and not significant for the horse. Vitiligo is, in my opinion, an idiopathic (no apparent cause) loss of pigment especially in hairless or thin-haired areas. Others define vitiligo as depigmented spots and larger, poorly defined, areas of depigmentation appearing on the body being either idiopathic or resulting from primary damage to melanocytes (skin cells that produce pigment). However, in my opinion, depigmentation in areas with hair is better called leukoderma (partial or total loss of skin pigment) or leukotrichia (loss of pigment in hair).

Whatever definition you use, in the form described in the question there is no known cause. However, some breeds and individual families may be more affected, suggesting that there is a genetic basis to the condition. The skin is otherwise normal, but there is a gradual, often profound loss of pigment often around the muzzle, face, and eyes, and/or sometimes around the genitals. The depigmentation may wax and wane in intensity, but is usually permanent. There is no known treatment. Regrettably, there is no more information available.

I understand your worry that it seems to deteriorate over time. This is quite possible and happens often; it may end with white rings around the eyes. Lucky for your horse, it's just a depigmentation and doesn't do any harm. As an owner, remember that a horse isn't likely to look in a mirror and worry about his appearance!

I had a Saddlebred who shipped to Maine with pink skin around his eyes and on his muzzle. If it wasn't obvious to look at him that he was a Saddlebred, you'd swear there was Appy there somewhere. He was given a Zinc supplement and within a short amount of time, it turned the skin around his eyes and his muzzle dark. Not sure it would work on every horse, but worked really well on this horse. He had A LOT of pink skin that the zinc supplement turned dark. Lots of people swore up and down because of the change he must have been tattoo'd, but he wasn't. He was just given the Zinc supplement.

I have also heard that sometimes it's a copper deficiency as well.

Jen

I once had a sabino stallion and some of his foals did this. I researched his pedigree as well as the mares that I bred him to when this happened and not one single appy was found. I am not sure what causes it but my sabino stallion is the only horse who produced foals that did this.

I've come across this in a couple of horses here in Ireland. The problem here was copper deficiency. The vet prescribed a shot of copper (injection that is) and the problem began to clear up within a couple of weeks.

K

Latest posts

Back