Pics of clipped neck with the manes...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epona Stable Belgium

Reaction score
I have our newest horse just for one big month now and he's manes are a little bit messed up
default_sad.png

They are not very long but not to short also, he has a lot of manes so I will have to reduce his manes when he will be clipped.

But...

Do you clip on the underside of the manes our on the outside?? I see a lot of horses who are clipped at the outside?

Do you have some pic's to show me the manes of your horses when you go to the show??

Thank's!!!

sorry, no pictures here, but I do believe I can offer you some help! I usually take even amount from both sides of the mane, just in case you want to flip it over to the other side at some point, plus it looks better than having a whole big section missing from one side. It looks more natural. I also trim it to somewhat of a point in the front, so the first hairs can flip up because there isn't as much hair. This just looks better when they are moving in the show ring (ie. trotting past the judge etc.) I will see if I can find some pictures for you, as it would make this explanation much easier to understand!

OH and one more thing to remember while clipping manes...always take mane away in SMALL sections, I mean small, so just edge your clippers along the mane taking off bit by bit until you are happy with the thickness and the way it looks. I hope that this was helpful to you, and good luck in your clipping endeavours!
default_smile.png

sorry, no pictures here, but I do believe I can offer you some help! I usually take even amount from both sides of the mane, just in case you want to flip it over to the other side at some point, plus it looks better than having a whole big section missing from one side. It looks more natural. I also trim it to somewhat of a point in the front, so the first hairs can flip up because there isn't as much hair. This just looks better when they are moving in the show ring (ie. trotting past the judge etc.) I will see if I can find some pictures for you, as it would make this explanation much easier to understand!
OH and one more thing to remember while clipping manes...always take mane away in SMALL sections, I mean small, so just edge your clippers along the mane taking off bit by bit until you are happy with the thickness and the way it looks. I hope that this was helpful to you, and good luck in your clipping endeavours!
default_smile.png
Thank you Nigel! I see what you try to explain me. Thank you for the tips, My stallion must be shaved a little bit on the outside because it's a little bit curly on the extern side of the manes
default_smile.png

Just hope he wont move to much or I cut everything of
default_laugh.png

I will try to see for a picture of his manes, I suppose some baby mini's had the pleasure to eat of his manes as his tail has ben thinner than normal... poor boy, to nice with other horses
default_wink.png

I only do the underside of the mane for thinning purposes. I do a 1/4 to 1/2" on the top side just to catch the short hairs. I also angle the top to make a nice roll that enhances the neck IMO.

I don't show, so don't know what is prefered there. I did however clip both sides of the mane once and the top looked horrible once it began to grow out, and took a very long time to get long enough to blend back it. I will never do that again. Now I just clip underneath, and it works wonderful for my purposes, and looks nice and neat.

Look at the post for "FlyingG Bonsai" with a closeup picture of a beatiful horse, but you can see the underside of his mane trimmed.

Hi, I have a stallion with an extremely thick mane and I have to take a lot of mane off to make it lay flat. I try to take most from underneath but since it is so thick I take some from the top too. It looked really bad on the horse that I took it all from underneath because the mane is supposed to be center on the neck and one side or the other will look goofy if it is too far off. Here is a picture that you can kind of see how far I had to go underneath:

MCS_00091.jpg

And here you can kind of see where I took off the top.

MCS_0003.jpg

Hopefully this helps!

Back