People "stealing" information from your website

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is pretty pathetic on their part, stealing your ideas! Do they have no beliefs/ideas of their own
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I would just tell everyone you talk to about it!!! :lol:

That is frustrating and upsetting when someone steals your words. I also have something on my website regarding "ownership" of everything on it. Some of the copywright warnings that others have are pretty good. However, bottom line is, unless you're willing to spend the bucks and take someone to court over it having a copywright does very little......and most people know this and that's why they continue to do it. I would email the people and let them know they've been "caught" at it and see what they do.

Oh yes, not only words but my whole design!

I found a site that I feel helps, I put their link on the bottom of my page:

cs-bk-234x16.gif

CopyScape web site

I had a photo taken from my website of one of my stallions. The farm, no longer in existence I believe, was a HUGE farm down south. It was a great photo taken by my daughter, and I had listed her as the photographer.

When they used it, they listed ANOTHER photographer (professional). I sent them an e-mail explaining it was my photo, and got a snotty response - basically said I was full of it, and it was was their photo.

I calmly wrote back that I had the photo on MY website, PLUS I had the entire photo the head shot was taken from, PLUS I had the disc from the camera, PLUS I HAD THE HORSE IN MY BARN!!

Photo was off their website the next day. :saludando:

Some people write better than others, and those others apparently know quality writing when they see it, so they take it. I'd certainly e-mail questioning why it was taken, and since it had been, to give credit where credit was due, and link back to the original website.

the issue of copyright was brought up recently on a blog I read, with regard to some issues with the NFL's application of copyright on the Superbowl

NFL's copyright story

this contains not only some explanation of copyright law, but also links to further resources, including law resources. I recomend it for reading and reference when learning about these issues.

I can go one better!

A number of years ago, I hosted a mini horse show in an area that had never had one before. I publicized the show relentlessly in the media and thru local outlets. I knew my efforts were going to really pay off so I decided it would be a good idea to let the spectators who came to the show get an understanding of what they'd be seeing at the show, so I sat down and wrote out a section in the program that would explain each division - halter, the different driving and performance classes, etc. I wrote how the classes were judged and what the judges were looking for. It took hours to write. We ended up with about 4,000 spectators at this show. all of them walked away with a lot of information on our breed.

Apparently, someone else walked away with that info because I found out she used it not only for her own horse shows, she then copied it verbatim in an article she published (and was paid for) and even had the nerve to put a copyright on it. How's that for nerve?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? To steal someone else's work AND get paid for it!!

This is someone who knew me, too and had no trouble facing me.

I quickly learned to copyright everything.

The only time (that I know of) that someone used a picture of mine off my website, a friend gave me a heads-up and I politely emailed them and asked that they remove it, and they did. It really was no big deal, the pic was on a "cute horse pics" page, but I would prefer someone ask permission.

I think that pics are much more easily "proven" ownership-- like Ruffian said! she has the horse!!-- but taking the text from someone else is just as wrong. I hope that you will be able to find a solution.

A number of years ago, I hosted a mini horse show in an area that had never had one before. I publicized the show relentlessly in the media and thru local outlets. I knew my efforts were going to really pay off so I decided it would be a good idea to let the spectators who came to the show get an understanding of what they'd be seeing at the show, so I sat down and wrote out a section in the program that would explain each division - halter, the different driving and performance classes, etc. I wrote how the classes were judged and what the judges were looking for. It took hours to write. We ended up with about 4,000 spectators at this show. all of them walked away with a lot of information on our breed.

not to totally change the subject but... I would love to work something out with you to perhaps be able to use some of that info.. we are having a show in our area and no one has ever had a AMHR breed show around these parts so would be so helpful

Lisa-

Absolutely -- I'd be happy to help out if I can find the info.

Let me dig around the farm this week and I'll get back to you.

Jenifer

One way to get people to remove stolen information and pictures when they refuse to do so is to notify their ISP, their website host, and their domain registration service. Generally they are going to be in violation of the Terms of Service of at least one of them and a TOS violation often means a website being totally removed until the problem is corrected. I know of several professional web designers who have used this route when other people have stolen their original graphics and code from websites they have created.

We have this problem a lot. We take a lot of time, effort and money to get the pictures that we use in our catalog and on our web site. The majority of the horses are our horses, Dreamweavers or at Larry Parnell Stables. We have also been lucky enought o get some great pics from fellow forum members !! I am always getting emails from friends telling me that they have seen our pictures on a competitors site. 1/2 the time they will remove the picture - the other half they simply ignore me. A lot of time it is not even the same product but one similiar that they are trying to pass off as the same as ours. And if it is a product that all of us sell they think they are entitled to it because they are selling it also - when we explain that it is our picture and not the mfg they do not seem to care. We always take our own pictures so that we can be different.

I try not to get stressed out about it - but a lot of our pictures are really good and very specific to the product being sold. I do not want people to think that we have taken the picture from the other site. We have even had people use our cover pictures.

Thanks for letting me vent. Legally and blood presure wise it is not worth fighting with them - they know they are doing wrong.

Thanks, LisaB

Ozark Mountain Minitack.com

minitack.com

gosh i feel bad for all of you

i must admit when i first came here i used a picture of a beautiful horse in my avatar...of a horse called POETRY....i didnt know it was only our own we could use, until Nootka kindly asked me in a very polite way {thanks nootka }
default_smile.png
if i had bought him...im so glad she did , and i was very embarrased, so sorry to the owner but i wish i did own him lol
default_wub.png
:

ive seen a site that is poaching people...and also photos and threads to make there own site more entertaining....

its an awful thing for someone to see there own hard work used at the click of a button :eek:

It is impossible to stop this from happening. There are no safeguards that one can employ on the web that can completly prevent theivery.

You can write a note that everything on the website is yours...but that won't stop anyone from taking things. And court isn't worth the cost <G>

I would just write the people who stole your information, tell them that although you are flattered that they liked your creativity, it is yours and they don't have your permission to use it. This might work in a few cases, but don't hold your breath.

In other words, there isn't much you can do but fume!!!

Latest posts

Back