can someone help me with this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zelda

Reaction score
I posted this in the sale board but it was moved to the wanted page by the powers that be. I did not get any feedback so I will give this a go. I want my own website . Problem one-- only have a computer at work. I would like one that I can change myself and have my own domain name. Problem two I know less than nothing about this but I have wonderful horses and would like a site that will celebrate my wins as well as help sell a few. Any input would be helpful. People who might be willing to set it up, best free site to use-- or one that doesn't cost too much. I have looked at quite a few sites and have some good ideas but don't have time or a computer to make it happen.

Any suggestions? Many people have told me to go the social media route however I can not access that--I am going to have to go with what I can use.

Thanks

Barb

Get a friend with a PC to help or go to the library. Or a random internet person might help you out for free or cheap. Otherwise, it might be pricey to hire someone to make a site for you, especially if it's all from scratch and not through one of the sites below.

Webs.com

Weebly.com

Wix.com

All good sites with free templates and builders. You can get hosting and domain name from them, too.

My sheep site is through Weebly. Had a rabbitry site through Webs and Wix, but sold the rabbits. Webs is always 'updating' and causes issues with log in for me, so I switched to Wix. But I don't bother with my own domain and all that, just don't need it. Enough people find it w/o such things.

http://forever-farms.weebly.com/

some of Weebly.com info. Then you buy a domain name after you pick a plan or not use your own and just have it under weebly.

site.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I agree that would be the cheapest and easiest way to go

Mine is through freeservers.com

Its very easy for me to figure out and the domain name is very cheap

Thank you to all who replied. I will try it see what I can do. I attached a photo. A photographer came last summer and took some wonderful photos for me. I feel like they should be shared.

Take care and thanks again

Barb

Big D 03.JPG

Looking for a Webmaster would have been acceptable to add to the sale board under the "wanted" category. Since I'm not sure how your ad. was worded I don't know why it was removed. Posting a request like this is fine for the sales board and also the wanted section here on the forums. Let me know if I can help you get that back up.

The answers above are good ones for you to do some research, hopefully you'll find something you can use. I have to ask though How you plan to have a Website that you can update yourself with no computer??

Since you have gorgeous horses who show and you plan to sell you do need a professional looking Website, so you are on the right track.
default_yes.gif

There are a lot of Webmasters who frequent here that would love to help you and there are many do it yourself sites like some of the ones mentioned above where you can get a professional business site, if you have the time to do it.

The example site is very nice! I love those little sheep.
default_wub.png

Keeping a Website up to date is crucial. It is also very time consuming to put it together and to keep it updated. You just have to weigh the price difference to get what you are comfortable with.

Social media is good for advertising BUT it should be used to get people to your personal business...NOT used to run your business from by putting your wares on the shelf with 3000 other people in the conversation selling the same thing. So you are on the right track there too. A lot of people don't realize how many people do not frequent social media. That is where your own Website with good SEO practices comes in.... Like the difference in having your own professional business card or nice sign in your yard as opposed to having your name scribbled on a bathroom stall is how I look at it...And just like everything else you get what you pay for.

Thank you again for your input...I can use my work computer to update the website, that is no problem.. but just can't be on it all day trying to set one up. What I may do is come in on a Saturday and try one of the sites recommended and see what I can do on my own. I have sold advertising for our miniature horse club show and have done some of the artwork myself. It came out pretty well. IMO. We have some pretty good software here on my job that creates some very nice graphic. But I need to keep my day job to help me enjoy my hobby so I don't want to take advantage. Should be okay on using my own time. Thanks again. If any webmasters are reading I would be willing to talk. Take care.

If you can go in on a Saturday and use it then you are all set!! I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about any of it. Good luck to you. Debby.

I use webs.com It is VERY easy and I can update it myself. It does have limitations if you want to get real fancy with stuff but I like being able to do my own and it's free- or you can pay for a cheap subscription that offers a bit more. Very cost effective.

Why don't you try squarespace. I recently discovered that website and it offers fairly easy to use templates and allows for nice big photos that would help to show off your beautiful horses. ?

Back