People "stealing" information from your website

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildhorses

Reaction score
I was surfing around tonight looking at some websites. I ran across a farm sales page, who "stole" the introduction that I have on my cover page/intro page of my website, and they have it on their sales page, word for word, punctuation for punctuation.

The introduction on my website was very carefully written by me, word for word, and was a long process to perfect, taking me several weeks to tweak until it was the way I wanted it. It states my beliefs in my breeding program, and my goals, etc. I was completely blown out of the water that someone would take my text, word for word, quote for quote, and represent it as their own....to me this is VERY WRONG!!!

But I don't know what to do about it. I hate to be the "butt-hole" about the whole deal, as I don't want a reputation as being the bad guy, but feel these people stole something that is mine, and it angers me the more I think about it. To me its no different than stealing photos of my horses off my website and representing them as their own. How do I approach this? Do I have a right to be upset? The could have asked permission, or at least tried to paraphrase a bit. What makes me even more upset, is they are listed as a "Farm of AMHA" on AMHA's website, which is where I found them.....real honest people, AMHA should be proud of these type of people as sponsors.........tell me if I am out of line or not.

I didn't check your site, but on my front page it says all pictures and information belongs to me.

Does yours say anything similar or close?

If you wrote it yourself, for you,,,,,,,I would nicely ask them if it was taken from you, and if so, could they kindly remove it.

In my opinion, we all work too hard for what we have and others should not be allowed to take what we have worked for, and in my opinion, your web site is included in that.

We pay for it, we work on it, it should be yours.

And no, that are not allowed to just lift it if you have a copyright, or say, all information is owned by you.

I hear ya! I have also written something for my Sales Page, and have seen it in use on a few other sites as well. It kind of ticks me off, but then I thought, well I guess maybe that is what they wanted to say also, and since they are only words, who am I to say what they can and cannot say. I guess there is not real way of proving it came from my site, other than my KNOWING it was what I wrote! :eek:

I have read that imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Unfortunate as it may be, I really doubt there is much you can do about it. I wonder how they found your web page? I couldn't find it. It is not in your signature or on your card.

I have read that imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Unfortunate as it may be, I really doubt there is much you can do about it. I wonder how they found your web page? I couldn't find it. It is not in your signature or on your card.

That Works :bgrin

I have read that imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
What the other farm did isn't flattery, it's plagiarism.

These scoundrels should be exposed. You should consider going public with their farm name and website.

I have read that imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
What the other farm did isn't flattery, it's plagiarism.

These scoundrels should be exposed. You should consider going public with their farm name and website.
I was not condoning it, simply pointing out that it would be nearly impossible to prove. It would simply be one's word against the other. That said, you can let it eat away at you and make you sick, or you can blow it off and forget it.

Well, I guess I'd be a butt hole too. If it were me, I would be asking them, immediately, to remove it. I wouldn't curse or be all mean about it, but I would tell them that it's part of your site, word for word, and you expect that they will remove it as soon as possible.

I ALWAYS ask if I can use something - whether it's a picture or a graphic - anything. And funny thing is I've NEVER been turned down. I've actually had people thank me for asking first!

Also, I once came across a photo on someone's site that I knew belonged to someone else. I emailed the original owner and she was stunned. She asked the other people to remove it and they did. No hard feelings either side.

Yeah, I'm a butt hole
default_yes.gif
:

I had this happen as well. The part that was "borrowed" was even in a different font and size from the rest of their page!

I went to the owner of the site and mentioned it. They acted like they didn't know, blamed it on their web master, changed the wording slightly but the basic meaning was still there.

Yeah it got to me. Yeah I said something. No it didn't accomplish anything. Now the same basic meaning is the same font as the rest of their page and it just blends in better. The part that gripes me is I know it doesn't happen at their farm the way they claim as they have no way of doing it. At least they did not at the time, they may now I truly dont know or care.

Truthfully, I feel sorry for these people that think this will make them look better as in the end things seem to work themselves out without saying a word, if you get what I am saying.

even if you don't post a copyright notice, your intellectual property remains your own.

I'd first research and document when you wrote the piece, and when you posted it. then I'd request the "borrower" either remove it or credit you for the piece.

It may well be that they had an outside party build their website, and don't know that what they paid for was not original to their own.

That is actually a very relevant point and one I had not considered.

Perhaps, as said, the first step is to point out to the owner that the piece is copyright and has been used without permission- and supply a link to your site with a date of writing, then see what the result is.

many farms pay a web master to build their site, and I know of people who have had nasty surprises when they discover that their webmaster was stealing pictures and text from other sites. i would start out giving them the benefit of the doubt. I would send them a kind note showing how their text is word for word from your site, and ask them to change or remove that section. I'd even put in there, "perhaps you didn't realize your web master used text from our site" since even if they blatantly stole it that gives them a way out that saves face.

Then if they refused i would draft a cease and desist letter, make it look official. That usually scares them enough to make them stop using your stuff. If none of that worked I'd probably just drop it and move on, but I would at least give it a try first.

be lucky it is only a page.

Someone stold my whole idea, my wording and even my original page color.

Autumn House Farm....

I sold top quality sheep(by the time I moved..wasn't selling sheep any more) and wool, roving and yarn....and was doing well.

Then I moved three winters ago and the orders stopped, which as was really strange. Quite by accident I stumbled on a web site...that some was riding my hard work and benifited from it...to the point they were the ones taking my buisness...most buyers did not even know. My farm name that I have for many, many years and was working well...my excat wording...and even page color...set up was near the same.

I was beyond angry....I emailed them polity...and basicly told...tough...S***

Wish I I could of forced them to shut down or change their web site...looked into it legal wise and could not afford it.

Lying cheats they are.......

Last edited by a moderator:
My webmaster added this to the bottom of each page. To me that says enough. The pics on my site are all mine or I have been granted permission to use them from the owners. You could have this added to your site which might help.

[SIZE=8pt]Copyright 2006 © Silver Belle Farms. All rights reserved.[/SIZE]

Each page on my website has a copyright to me that can be clicked on and linked directly to the more exact copyright below.

Access to this web site is subject to the terms and conditions laid out below. This web site is copyright protected in line with US and International laws, and as such all material contained therein is the property of the above named copyright holder unless otherwise stated. This refers to, without limitation, any information accessible from files viewed or accessed using the URL prefix mentioned above.

Examples of copyright protected material include, without limitation:

- Scripting (HTML, Java, JavaScript, XTML, ASP, ActiveX etc.)

- Images (graphical or photographic)

- Written information (text on the pages)

Material may not be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, posted, broadcast or transmitted in any way except for your own personal non-commercial home use (not for use on a web site of any description). Any use requires the prior written permission of the above named copyright holder. You must agree not to adapt, alter or create a derivative work from any material contained in the above named site, or to use it for any purpose other than your own personal non-commercial use. You agree to use the site only for lawful purposes, and in a manner that does not infringe the rights of, or restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of this site by any third party. Such restriction or inhibition includes, without limitation, conduct which is unlawful, or which may harass or cause distress or inconvenience to any person and the transmission of obscene or offensive content or disruption of normal flow of dialogue within this site.

If you wish to use any material from this web site for use other than non-commercial use, then please contact me to obtain permission before attempting to do so.

There are tracking procedures in place, and any copyrighted material will be tracked if removed from the above named site and used without my express prior permission. All images or photographs contained within the site are digitally watermarked and can immediately be identified.

The following procedures will be followed for anyone violating my copyright:

1. You will be contacted (if possible) and asked to remove the material immediately.

2. If the material is not removed or you or unable to be contacted, then I will contact your Site Host (ie. your ISP or Web Server manager) and inform them of the situation and request that they remove the material immediately.

3. If the material continues to violate my copyright after the first two procedures have been carried out, then I will not hesitate in following them through with legal proceedings against the person responsible for the violation.

The above named site and the information, names, images, pictures, logos, icons and scripting regarding or related to the above named site or copyright holder, it's products and services (or to third party products and services), is provided "AS IS" and is on an "IS AVAILABLE" basis without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind whether express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular propose, non-infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy. In no event will the above named site or copyright holder be liable for any damages including, without limitation, indirect or consequential damages, or any damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use, data, or profits, whether in action or contract, negligence or other tortious action arising out of or in connection with the use of the above named site. The above named site and copyright holder does not warrant that the functions contained in the material contained in this site will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs or represents the full functionality, accuracy, reliability of the materials. The names, images and logos identifying the above named site or third parties and their products and services are proprietary marks of the above named site and/or third parties. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as conferring by implication, estoppel or otherwise any licence or right under any trademark or patent of the above named site, or any other third party.

If there is any conflict between these Terms and Conditions and rules, Copyright Information and/or specific terms of use appearing on the above named site relating to specific material then the latter shall prevail.

If any of these Terms and Conditions should be determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of any state or country in which these Terms and Conditions are intended to be effective, then to the extent and within the jurisdiction which that Term or Condition is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be severed and deleted from this clause and the remaining terms and conditions shall survive, remain in full force and effect and continue to be binding and enforceable.

The Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Florida. Disputes arising here from shall be exclusively subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of Florida.

If these Terms and Conditions are not accepted in full, the use of this site must be terminated immediately.

I am glad I am not the only person with this problem. A few weeks ago, while doing some shopping around for horses, I found a website that had done the same thing to me. They took the information off of my coverpage of my website. I do have a copyright warning on the bottom of my website pages as well. The information is identical, with the exception that they underlined the information on their website and have it in a differnt color than mine. I am the author of my own information. Here is my website address: www.venturaminiatures.com.

Here is MY writing from MY website:

I learned very early that in order to produce quality, one must start with quality. I have searched very carefully, and hand-selected horses that will compliment each other, and contribute to the advancement of the miniature horse breed. I strive to produce horses that have the conformation, style, and "attitude" to be winners in the show ring. Winners that can go on to produce winners. I produce quality, not quantity.

Now from "The Other Farms" website:

I learned very early that in order to produce quality, one must start with quality. I have searched very carefully, and hand-selected horses that will compliment each other, and contribute to the advancement of the miniature horse breed. I strive to produce horses that have the conformation, style, and "attitude" to be winners in the show ring. Winners that can go on to produce winners. I produce quality, not quantity.

It's funny, when I copy and paste it from the other farms website, it is identical when it posts. I have not decided yet what I am going to do or how I am going to handle this. I too feel this is stealing. It is very wrong. They could have either 1) asked permission 2) given me credit 3) paraphrased so that they weren't plagerizing 4) writen their own material rather than taking from others websites. I feel even if you hire a webmaster to design your website, you are still personally responsible for the information posted on your website. Your website is your professional presentation to your customers, and you must be held responsible for the content contained in the website. I think it's a bigger deal than some people seem to feel it is. What complicates it more for me is that what led me to this farms website in the first place was interest in a particular mare, a mare that I wanted to inquire about purchasing, that is available for purchase. Now I really don't know how to proceed! Maybe I should tell them I will trade them the mare for my copyrighted writings on their website!

I feel it is wrong too. You know, many of us may have the same ideas, but we all put it in our own words on our own sites. In the long run, anyone reading the info will know what you mean, but it should not be stolen from someone else's website!!!

Yes, that is plagerism. I know that students are tested for that now on everything they write and if found to be copying from the internet, a book or whatever, without putting things in their own words, will be kicked out.

I would certainly put a copyright notice on your site (dated with when you put that on there) and kindly ask them to remove your info from their site. Tell them YOU wrote out the info on your site yourself and did not copy from anywhere else. You would appreciate it if they did the same. Underlining it means nothing- it is what it says that is stolen.

Are people so brainless that they cannot think of something in their own words and have to steal from someone else? :eek:

I realize how upsetting it might be but I also have to say alot of this is kinda generic stuff that anyone "could" have written not saying that you didnt write it so please dont take it the right way

horses that have conformation, style and attitude to be winners or to produce winners whatever I bet that is on many web sites maybe with only a word or so different.

Quality not quanity again something I see on hundreds of web sites- contribute to the advancement or betterment of the breed again something I see all the time. on large horse and mini horse sites

I am not taking away from the fact that some sites have exact wording but I think sometimes at least phrases are to common for that however word for word is something different

Not the same thing but kind of. I see things I have said and words I have used and whole speeches I have said used on others and by others all the time.

I just kind of shake my head and remind myself if it helps other animals thats what its all about.

I admit sometimes I get ticked off because I sometimes think they are using me to convince others they are communicators as well. And as we know it is the animals that pay in the end....again and thats what i get mad at.

On the other hand if they get 1 out of 5 correct it helps animals so that makes it okay with me.And I sure don't own the dictionary.

Someone did take a saying that I had on my blurb on Little Beginnings and now I can't use it, as it would look like I am doing the copying! Sigh!

But i know its different with web sites and even though its flattering to you, I understand why it would upset you.

I havent had this problem with my website but i have received some emails (from the 1 source) asking me about using my stallion to cover their mares.

Some of my answer was then put on another Irish website in regard to people using their stallion for covering.

How do i feel?

At first i was angry but then i thought well if they have had to use my words/theory/practices then it is actually a compliment because i must be doing something right when it comes to letting my stallion cover outside mares, and of course everyone will know sooner or later.

What goes around comes around.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back