people living in San Antonio vs. Missouri??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetOpal

Reaction score
Ok so I just returned from visiting my in-laws in San Antonio, Tx, they moved there a year ago love it. They are older and are getting to where they need help. Considering moving! I have always wanted to move to Missouri or Kentucky ( love the trees and beautiful green lush grasses) , never thought about Texas. Looked alot like desert to me, very brushy! Now im wondering has anyone moved from Missouri to Texas or from Texas to Missouri, or if anyone lives in San Anton what can you tell me about the weather or any other things?? Any input would be great. I did look at about 10 farms while I was there, nothing grabbed me!

Hey Jenny,

I was born in San Antonio and live in Houston now. I spent most of my life in Northern Arkansas and Northern Oklahoma. Lots of trips to Missouri.

I MUCH prefer Missouri. There is actually a winter there. We've still got mosquitoes out even this time of year in Taxes. Plus, like you said, there is pleasant vegetation there.

Oh, I only speak English and a little German so I can’t understand half of the people down here. (But that’s a growing problem everywhere.)

Jenny,

Well, it depends on what you like. I'm not from San Antonio but my father is and I spent many a summer there visting my grandmother. I personally LOVE San Antonio. It's filled with history and I find the landscape beautiful. Except for the mesquite trees - they will eat you.
default_wink.png
: There's nothing more beautiful than the hill country and if you move down here, I'll invite you to our lake house on Lake LBJ!

While some people complain about the lack of seasons (Mike :saludando: ), I prefer the lack of winter. We have spring, summer, and fall with an occasional ice storm every now and then. It means year round horse training and foaling as early as January! It's a jump start on our northern neighbors for sure!

The one thing I dislike about San Antonio is the distance from the majority of the horse shows in Area V. The San Antonio club has one show a year in July (its a hot one!). The majority of the shows are south of the Dallas Fort Worth area, Houston, and OK. If I could move any where in TX, I would move up between Waco and Dallas. Centrally located to all the shows and an easy drive to Tulsa!

I would love to hear more about Missouri too if anyone can do that. I go to San Antonio every year for a competition we have down there and I love it. But, what is Missouri like?

I can understand why you'd love the lush rolling hills of Kentucky (and northern Missouri). However if family obligations are a part of your decision, I suggest you take a drive up Hwy 281 heading north out of San Antonio....up to Blanco and maybe a little beyond (which puts you just West of Austin).....It should be greening up by now....and Springtime in the Hill Country (which that is) is actually very pretty.

If Larry and I were to ever have to move to Texas, that's the area we would look at seriously......

MA

Well since no other Missourians have spoke up, I guess I will. I live in the Ozarks, about an hour from the Arkansas border. You'll notice the change in seasons more here than in Texas, as others have mentioned, but the winters are *normally* pretty mild. There is lots and lots of green, and in the fall the colors are amazing. We have rivers and lakes and natural springs EVERYWHERE. If you like to trail ride, camp, hunt, fish, float, etc. there are many opportunities for you. From what I hear, you can live a lot cheaper in these parts than much of the country
default_rolleyes.gif
: Whatever that means.

That's about all I have time for at the moment...if you have some specific questions I can try to answer them for you.

:saludando:

I'd be very happy to move over and share my mountain with you and my heart-throb Geshaun anytime!

How about Tennessee.........?????????

ummmmmm not much in the way of English spoken here either but after 10 years or so, you'll be saying "urines" too..........Just look at it this way: You can keep your washing machine and refridgerator and couch on the front porch, let Geshaun have the house, and nobody would think you were strange. :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

I'm in extreme SW Missouri, about 2 minutes from the AR state line, 15 minutes from the OK line, and an hour from Kansas. I've been here all my life, and don't know much else so I can't give a comparison. I do like it here. Property is fairly cheap compared to other places. It's going up fast, because Wal Mart headquarters is just south of us in Arkansas. A lot of folks are moving in, but our little town can't grow too much because of the river and bluffs. Here's the main web site for our little town. Noel, MO

Minimama, I grew up in central Missouri and just moved back after 17 years in north Florida. I'm still getting used to winters again. My poor horse (the biggun) had never even seen a hill.....but had also never seen so much grass. Once you're there.....anyplace can be "home". If you have specific questions about Missouri I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Thank you all for answering. I do love the look of Missouri, but I think if it were completely up to me and the in laws were not a factor, then for sure Missouri or Kentucky 100%. I just hope I can get use to those darn Cactus again down in San Antonio. The weater in San Antonio seems to be very compareable to our weather here in So Cal. Is that what those big bushy trees are called, Mosquite?? I imagine you can plant whatever trees you want. As for the shows and traveling, I am used to that, we have a few pony shows about 3 hours away but not alot of competition, if I want competition I have to drive about 10 hours to show so that is not really a super huge factor. I went through this adorable little town by the name of Fredericksburg in Texas, it is about an hour north of my in-laws, it was such a beautiful little town, I really liked that one, would not mind living a bit south so that I was closer to the inlaws.

MiniV, I have some listings for Blanco that I didn't get time to look at, we are suppose to go back in the spring and take a look, that will definately be one of the places as it is not to far from Fredericksburg either. The inlaws are in San Anton, but right on the outskirts, they are right next to Boerne, so I too am thinking NW would be best.

I live in SW Missouri, and where I'm at its pretty boring to me. Would love to live in the Branson area, such a beautiful place down there, lots of entertainment. Actually I would love to move down to TX but I don't see that happening any time soon, so a move to Branson I would love to do. But according to my friend I can't move so I guess I'm staying. She lives in CA so how did that happen lol.

Jenny,

The trees are Mesquite and they have 2 inch thorns on them! My advice is cut them down and use them for BBQ!
default_wink.png
: They have a tendency to take over a place so you have to keep them in check.

I can understand your choice of needing to be in Texas.

I use to live near Lake of the Ozarks (about 45 mins. south on old Route 66) I LOVED it there, the lake is beautiful and I was centrally located from everything to do, about 1 hr up to 3 hours away from it all, St. Louis, Kansas City, Springfield. I really, really miss it. I am transplanted to North East Arkansas, by way of my husband... he didn't know what he was missing, but I think I have finally, after 11 years on the 13th of this month, that the hills are beautiful. He now wants to move to West Arkansas, I am all for it.

San Antonio, I can only tell you that their summers are sweltering hot! I was stationed there for basic training with the Air Force from during Sept. season time frame. We didn't have much basic training for the 2 plus months that I was there because of the heat index. It was miserable. I never got to see the city, but from photos, it looked beautiful!

I wish you the best on your decission.

~Karen

I just can't resist saying this......You know Missouri's state motto is.........................................................

The Show Me State
default_wink.png
: :bgrin

Well I live 40 miles west of San Antonio in a small town of 30,000 called Kerrville & it is only 20 miles from Fredericksburg. We have cedar trees here, but frankly no mesquite, dont see much cactus anymore either, that must be more west of here. We love living in the Hill Country, it is beautiful & the people are great. It is very hot in the summer starting in may till sept you can have 90+ degree days, our winters are mild, with only a few days of freezing, infact it is suppose to be 70 tomorrow. One problem we have had in the last few years is not enough rain. Not much mini stuff around here, there is the club I helped start so many years ago still holding a show a year near San Antonio & there are some breeders around here,. but as others stated, most shows are in the Houston Dallas area. The one downside to Texas is how big it is. Where we live takes at least 7-8 hours to get to any border, but only 4 hours to the beach. Property is really high especially in Fredericksburg area, many people from California are moving to our area on large golf course luxury homes because I hear that a small home in California will buy a 4000 sq foot luxury home here. YOu can buy a nice farm for your horses with about 20 acres for around $350,000, no personal income tax, but high property taxes just to warn you. Minis can be hard to sell even quality horses unless you have a buyer knowledgeable about them, because we are in cowboy country, they still dont have a lot of need for something you cant ride. The go for $75-$150 at local auctions with papers, they are in our local paper for $300 & up, have no idea of the quality of anything, just seen the ads, & have had friends at the auctions report back. Of course there are still breeders getting top dollar for their horses, so it is not all like that. Alamo Miniatures, Little America, & many others are in this area, & they all have some of the nicest horses & are very nice folks. Send for chamber of commerce visitors guides to our area for more information.

The trees are Mesquite and they have 2 inch thorns on them
Ah, but the live oaks sure are pretty! I love those and wish they grew in Oklahoma!

You can keep your washing machine and refridgerator and couch on the front porch, let Geshaun have the house, and nobody would think you were strange.
LOLOLOL!!! Yep, you can have that right here in Oklahoma too!

But, seriously, I love the San Antonio area! I have relatives down there, but we never go visit anymore. There's so much history, I would love to go down just to vacation!
default_smile.png

Whitestar, appreciate that info, coming from CA it is extremely REASONABLE to buy there. As for property taxes, we pay $12,000 a year now, and our electric bills are $1200 a month, I can not imagine that it would cost us this in San Antonio area. I have also heard that you can have ag exempt property and not pay property taxes. My inlaws said they ran thier a/c all summer and thier house is about 2400 sq ft and thier bill at the highest was around $250 a month in the summer. Do you find this to be true. When you say very warm in the summer, you say around 90+, and what kind of humidity? We have a very large house now, and I didn't see many large houses on lots of land there, seems like the average house is about 3,000 sq ft or smaller. No golf courses for me, need land and lots of it.
default_yes.gif
:

I am loving this thread, as my sister and I are also contemplating moving to one of these states. For those of you who know me, I know, I know, been saying that for a couple of years now... BUT.. with the major issues that I am currently having where my horses are (unfortuately I don't own my own place and am leasing a small area from some friends..) and lack of $$$$ to buy anything here in California now, it looks like it will probably be sooner rather than later....
default_smile.png

We have also really thought hard about Missouri, as my sister has some ex-inlaws that she is still very close to that live there and the overall climate of the area, so will probably re-start my search there..

Good luck, Jennifer, on your move!

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Whitestar, appreciate that info, coming from CA it is extremely REASONABLE to buy there. As for property taxes, we pay $12,000 a year now, and our electric bills are $1200 a month, I can not imagine that it would cost us this in San Antonio area. I have also heard that you can have ag exempt property and not pay property taxes. My inlaws said they ran thier a/c all summer and thier house is about 2400 sq ft and thier bill at the highest was around $250 a month in the summer. Do you find this to be true. When you say very warm in the summer, you say around 90+, and what kind of humidity? We have a very large house now, and I didn't see many large houses on lots of land there, seems like the average house is about 3,000 sq ft or smaller. No golf courses for me, need land and lots of it.
default_yes.gif
:
Jenny,

I think you'll find huge savings here in property taxes and utilities. I'm sure your house is probably 4 times the size of mine, but we only pay $160/month for electric. I can't imagine $1200. :eek: Very warm can be an understatement. It's down right hot with 100% humidity. At least that's what I'm told, I'm native and the heat really doesn't bother me too bad. I'm so used to the heat that I found all the complaining about Congress quite funny. The weather at Congress was a normal June/July show for me! You either get used to it or you find ways to cope with it so you can survive. :new_shocked: OR, you stop showing in June and pick back up in October.
default_wink.png
:

You can find the land and you might just find the house you want on the land you want. My advice would be to contact a farm and ranch realtor as they'll know what you need.

Latest posts

Back