Pawing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtominis

Reaction score
My min has started pawing with his front legs, as if he's a dog. Obviously most dogs don't weigh 300 pounds and have hooves, so I'm assuming what he's doing isn't acceptable. How do I stop this? He's a 17 month old gelding.

Teddy.jpg

I am not sure why but my 13yo mini stud does that too. I dont know why, I know his mom did it so its a learned behavior I assume but also my mini mare who we bred and was sold as a weanling does this too. I just recently got her back. Shes 8 now.

Pawing can be a bad habit, from boredom, or a learned behavior (pawing because they are hungry and then they get fed so they keep doing it) OR it can also be a sign of pain. It helps if you can tell the difference. Pawing can be sign of ulcers or colic but there are usually other signs present if that is the cause. But not always.. I would be suspicious that constant pawing, or to the extent that it wears down the hooves, might be from pain. First thing is to figure out if there is a pattern and if it is bad behavior (e.g. horse wants to get fed or wants attention) then don't reward it. If it seems to be from pain, consult your vet.

All four of my horses paw...usually when not so patiently waiting to be fed. My hard keeper will paw in displeasure over being stalled. Another horse we had pawed so much that she dug holes in our stalls when we didn't have stall mats down.

I've learned to ignore it for the most part. The only time I correct it is when I working with a horse in some form of training.

Its just a really annoying habit most of the time. Especially when they're being impatient. Most of the time if you yell at them they'll stop but then continue a few minutes later at least in my experience. I usually give up yelling and put my foot in front of my mare or touch her leg with my foot cause its easier than constantly yelling lol

Mine pawed when he was in the cross ties (just impatient) I would step on his foot a little with my foot and he would stop. I could be grooming him for 15-20 mins. BUT he knew that as soon as I left he could do it again. Somehow you gotta be smarter than the horse. lol

My husband turned the pawing habit into a possitive and taught our gelding to shake hands. Everytime he pawed we shook his hand and then rewarded that behavior. Not only stopped a bad habit but everyone is impressed at him shaking hands with everyone that comes out to see our minis

Only took a week to change it around

Good idea BeeBop! All my yearlings and tweens pawed for food and during eating. They outgrew it but not before they wore their toes. When their toes were worn enough to hurt when pawing they quit and would switch hooves. I tried an experiment someone suggested once. When preparing and doling out meals, the gate bangers and pawers were ignored (hard to do for so many reasons!) everyone else who was quiet was fed. Went about my business, they are seperate mind you, then went in the house, you have to plan ahead, for about an hour. Then go out to fiddle around. Nickering is allowed, so is big doe eye expressions, if the pawing and banging starts again, repeat fiddling, then go in house. The first day the culprits didn't get fed until nearly 4:00 which nearly killed me! But when I went out they were quiet and acted like, "Don't waste your energy, she doesn't have the food anymore." So I fed them. Next day took one hour. Haven't had a problem again. This got serious, I didn't want bad meal manners developing or any injuries because you never know. Wait, Jewel tried once again, but she left her hoof on the gate and had a defiant expression. I fed everyone else and she backed off the gate, quietly stood there so she got fed last, but she didn't have to wait.

Devil does a "wave" trick, but he just paws the ground, he is rewarded when he does the trick at a VERBAL CUE! other than that, i ignore him when he waves for treats. If we are grooming, i tell them to stop, and with the tone of my voice they know im serious. If its a REALLY bad behavior problem, like he is impacient, i use a crop and tap him with it on the front of his shoulder or on his leg. If that doesnt work i hit him harder. It also works if he paws his bowl, NOW THATS ANNOYING LOL!

He really only paws whenever I have him standing still, and it's not constantly with one leg. So I'm thinking it's impatience, and when I tell him no he stops, but will do it again later.

Latest posts

Back