Patty hurt her leg. What should I do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim P

Reaction score
Patty got her leg hung up in the fence. I know that she was standing there for at least four hours, maybe more. She seems to have locking sifle in her back right leg. She is laying down a lot. Should I just let her rest for awhile or keep her up?

If you are unsure and are unfamiliar with the type of injury she may have, call your vet. She may have strained it or even something worse if she struggled awhile and might need help getting everything back to normal. And, she'll probably need some anti-inflammatories from the vet.

Take her vitals, they'll tell you if she is stressed or shocky from the incident, and at least put a call in to your vet with that information and the information about how and where she was caught in the fence.

I have some anti inflamitories and muscle relaxers. But Annabelle is still nursing. I guess I could put patty in her pen.

Start with her vitals: temp, respiration, pulse they'll tell you if she is shocky or stressed from the incident. I would at least call a vet, and see about anti-inflammatories with a nursing foal and what the next step should be.

I hesitate to offer any advice over the internet for fear it might make her condition worse, that is why I keep saying vet. If we knew it might be just a locking stifle, the recommendation for that is to back them up til they unlock; but if it's not that, then it could make things worse rather than help. Hopefully she is just sore from the incident and nothing more serious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just about said the same thing Chanda. But then if its not a locking stifle , it could make things worse.

When in doubt , ring the vet
default_smile.png

Okay. I finally got the vet. He said that since there are no cuts and she is walking to just give her a couple of days to work it out and not to give her anything. He said that she is probably just sore.

Keep us posted and if you are not seeing any improvement within a couple of days, ask your vet to come and give her an examination.

Hope Patty is back to her old self in no time
default_smile.png

Thanks for the advice. I was scared. I have never seen Patty so quite and still. She did not even try to take a sample of everyone's food. I will keep everyone posted. Hopefully she will feel better tomorrow.

If she's walking found ok, but stiff, you might try to back her a few steps to see if it helps any, but don't force the issue. Hope she feels better soon.

Do you have a place to put her separate? Unless she is the dominant one in the group I would like to see her kept away from the others until you know 100% for sure she is just stiff and sore. You don't want anyone getting after her and possibly making things worse. Hopefully she is back to normal in a few days.

Patty is definitely the dominant one. I stayed with her good while last night just rubbing her while she layed in the sand pile. She is better today. She is walking around. Not fast. She really felt bad last night. She just ate a little grain. She usually eats all hers and tries to get everyone else's too. She is not limping or looking like she is locked up. She walked with the rest of them to eat this morning. She is not being a glutton. Eating slow. I think she is going to be fine. I do not like seeing my girl like this! I want my bossy mare back soon!

You might look into getting her some ulcer meds for a few weeks or so, you can get a few over the counter preventative products at places like TSC. The main one I've used is U-Gard pellets, they mix in easily with regular feed. Just a thought, since getting stuck in the fence was likely stressful to her, it might be a good idea.

Glad to hear she feels a bit better this morning.

Well she walked funny a few times when she pregnant. My farrier said that it was not uncommon and their small pen that I had them in was muddy. She has not done it again until yesterday. She is walking fine, just slow. She does not feel good though.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back