Patty hurt her leg. What should I do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it not okay to give banamine while she is nursing? I had one get a foot caught in tree. We got to him right away. He laid down. I gave him banamine paste. Vet came out. He got up that evening and was almost back to normal the next day.

Neighbors dog chased him. We had to get a saw to remove part of the tree to get his foot out. Luckily he did not struggle.

Sure gave me a fright. I feel for you.

Maybe a hip problem my mare walks a bit funny some times. I had a chiropractor give her a good ...whatever they do (massage type thing?) she's been great after. Do you have anything like that around?

Goodness, he was really in a bind. I wish that I had gotten to Patty right away. I don't have any ban amine. I thought about rubbing some essence oil for sore and aching muscles on her that I bought on my cruise but I don't know if it would be poison if she licked it. My sister in law said to get some horse rub at tractor supply and put on her.

I find that large animal vets vary greatly in our area. Some take the laid back wait and see approach, while others run labs and take x rays for every bump and bruise. I feel that the client plays a huge role in this as well, one can only do what they can afford and sometimes, all you can really do is wait. If she can bear weight on the leg, walk without a limp and there isn't excessive heat or swelling then she will probably be okay.It won't hurt to take some precautions to aid her healing though. Alternating hot and cold therapy offers much relief with joint pain especially if meds are not being used. While she may not have sustained a serious injury, there is a possibility for long term injury to her hock or stifle joints. I have a colt who did something similar when he tried to breed a mare through a gate, he got hung up at his stifle and pulled it. While he did not tear or fracture anything, he did strain the ligament and as a result his stifle locked for about 6 months after the incident. Because we treated him right away, first ice cold hosing to curb swelling for the first few days, then hosing with hot water to relieve soreness during the healing process. After letting him rest in a box stall where he had enough room to turn around rather than spin around on his hind, and keeping him away from others and distractions that caused him to get excited, we began strength building exercises. He was encouraged to walk over ground poles with the idea in mind that the high stepping would strengthen the ligaments and shorten the slack causing the lock. We have added a joint supplement to his feed which seems to make a difference. Because they cannot tell us what and where exactly it hurts, we need to take precautions to keep them healthy. Always seek advice from a veterinarian but remember that you know your horse better than anyone so when you really think something is wrong you need to advocate to get what they need. Often, all you can do is wait for things to heal, but sometimes they need a closer look. I have had vets blow me off and not want to deal with something that seemed minor (it is usually something with a sick calf) but I am always persistant until we figure it out. Remember, you pay the vet for a service, so they should be willing to help you. Hope your mare makes a speedy recovery.

I came late to the table, since our DSL was down. I gotta' tell you that, my first thought on reading your subject line was "Call the vet."

I guess people's capabilities to deal with a problem might be more competent than mine, and their access to vet services might be different.

My husband and I had a conversation after an emergency that resulted in a dead horse within about 24 hours. Afterwards, we talked and were never able to come up with a price limit to put on their heads. We did agree that in the future we weren't going to screw around. If one of ours had a problem, we weren't going to dink around but get 'em in to the vet hospital and at least get an evaluation. It has the potential to cost a couple bucks, but my theory is that if we can't afford it, we shouldn't own horses. To date, there's been a few bucks spent, but on the other hand at least I'm not trying to figure out whether I should feed a smidge of garlic or a smack of flax or smear some essential oils and hope for the best, or worry whether a pregnant mare can have banamine. I really don't mean to sound nasty, but I've been there--done that--with a horse that was actually seen quite promptly by a field vet. It was hugely heart-breaking.

Patty is perfectly fine now. She is walking good and swishing her tail. As for not eating, we'll none of them were. My husband bought a different kind of feed and they did not like it. He went and got their usual today. Once again thanks for the advice.

And it is a GOOD thing that they "didn't like" the accidental feed.

Had they eaten their normal amounts, they could have all had bad "tummy aches" (COLIC) that may have resulted in having to have a vet tube them (pump out their stomachs using water forced in, which then comes out back out thru the tube by siphon to empty the stomach bringing out the foody contents). Then oil is tubed directly into the stomach as well as serious stomach soothers (the vet I used to work for varied depending on type of colic - sometimes used a pink bismuth liquid sometimes a white powder that I can't remember the names of). A change in feed requires some time to change over (I generally go at least a week, sometimes two).

I'm so glad that Patty is doing better.

Here is our story on something similar - hope you don't think I'm stealing your thread - not my intention!!

I got a panicked call 3 yrs ago when I was in TX. My hubby had gone out to check something and noticed the JR stallion (Wizard) standing weird. He'd managed to roll, get his hind legs caught in the stock panel and still stand back up. Larry said it looked like he'd woven his hind leg in and out thru several squares (the fence IS NOT flexible - so his leg "became so"...). Bolt cutters were handy - so he was able to cut him loose & Wiz stood quietly while he did (good thing as he was quite alone!). BUT Wizard would neither put weight on the leg nor was he willing to really move (I can only imagine). This was in October and the weather had changed drastically that day - turning COLD. I recommended that Larry call our vet and we both ended up doing so (we'd had our new cell phones for 8 months but we couldn't get the conference feature to work yet...), plus I called a girlfriend of mine who lived about 5 miles away. She arrived as the vet was arriving. The injury that showed (some barked up hair) wasn't much of anything - however - the fact that they didn't know how long he'd been "locked" into that position or had any internal stuff damaged (no bones broken) - didn't know.

Cause for concern - compression injury. Least of our worries - skin could/would slough off over injured leg from lack of blood flow during "stand" - skin looked "wrinkled". Nerve damage, or venous/artery damage that could cause problems later. He was standing on it somewhat by the time exam done (according to hubby and my girlfriend), but not "square" or fully. Did move off - but favored it. Our pretty trotting boy (had been at Shetland Congress 2 months before and done well in Foundation halter and Foundation Futurity - 2 yr old stallions) was certainly not trotting... AND he was NOT interested in eating. Hay or grain. He also didn't do his normal "whhrrr, whrr, hurr, huff huff" dinner talking that he does and for my hubby to note that - it was bad!! So he was started on antibiotics and ulcer meds. He was given a shot right then by the vet (I don't remember what - tetanus? - and the receipts are packed right now) and Gail agreed to come over to give the injections 1x daily (penicillin) that he needed till I got back home. The vet came by & gave two injections of penn before I got home and Larry did one (?i think) & gladly tossed syringes and needles at me when I arrived back. I want to say he was on Penicillin 2x daily for 14 days. Larry would do the liquid anti-inflammatory & stomach soothers via a syringe in the mouth - neither hubby nor pony had a prob w/ that. Before I got back, Wiz was moving better and was back up to snuff on eating, but skin did slough off later. I can't remember exactly when - I told trainer about it when he went back to IL for conditioning/hauling/showing, and he called to let me know how it looked when he clipped him out (first time - pretty raw looking and hair really wasn't growing there)... By end of show season, he was completely sound and all hair had/has grown back in - HOWEVER - he still gets a "greasy" like substance in that spot when weather changes in the fall (LIKE NOW).

Now anyone who has been on this forum for a while, knows that I TRY to do MOST of our vetting myself. I did my first "ride along" with our vet in CO when I was 13 yrs old and spent plenty of time every summer, spring and Christmas break "helping" him. I did a lot and saw more. Then I was out of horses for a long time while I was in the Army, overseas and starting my family. The 3rd year I was back & into the ponies, I leased 5 acres from an equine vet who had both a 2 stall medical practice and a mobile unit to go out with. I worked & volunteered w/ her for 7 years PLUS took care of mine PLUS worked at the boarding barn (also owned by the vet - 2 miles down the road) - at one time I cared for up to 70 equine - mostly by myself (I didn't usually work the boarding barn on weekends - but did work at the clinic when needed). I still LOVE to do most of the work myself - but I have NO PROBLEMS with consulting a vet, or calling a vet in and have now mastered calling/emailing more than one to get 2nd (& 3rd or 4th) opinions/options if I'm not happy or don't agree with the original vet's prognosis.

I am so GLAD that we DIDN'T WAIT to call the vet for Wizard that day - even though the injury didn't look like much! Honestly, I don't know how it would have turned out if he hadn't been on antibiotics, anti-inflammatory meds and stomach soothers. We also did some "physical therapy" - started slow and did some specific exercises with him over the winter to build his use of the leg back up. He is now SOUND and HAPPY. He did go back on the show trail and is just a little short of his Halter HOF in Foundtation Shetlands... He may never go back out to finish due to changes in our finances and lives, but I'm happy. His first daughter IS AWESOME... He is SOUND and HAPPY!

Please continue to let us know how Patty is, we've all "fallen" for her (at least I have!!)...

Here's a few pics. Amazingly, I only got 4 - 2 my hubby took the day of and 2 I took just a week and a 1/2 later (November 9th). He went back to trainers the weekend of Feb 5, 2013... I have no pics between Nov 2012 thru July 2013 when we saw him again at Shetland Congress...

August 2012 - working the rail at ASPC Congress show. I picked Wizard up at the AMHR Nationals in September to bring him home (along w/ the mini filly that showed there).

126-015-12STC.jpg

Larry's 2 pics the day of the injury. The leg doesn't look all that "bad"... The 1st one - you can see where he's cut the panels. These were taken with his cell phone. I had the camera w/ me in TX.

12oct28wiz0938.jpg

12oct28wiz0939.jpg

He's still spending a lot of time laying down 12 days later. You can still see some swelling.

12nov9wiz1159a.jpg

He did stand for the farrier, though. This is the last pic I have of him until July 2013.

12nov9wiz1237a.jpg

And again at the 2013 Shetland Pony Congress -

13jul10wi1546a.jpg

I'm not sure why I don't have any other photos. I've just been thru a lot of them (originals) to double check... Guessing I just didn't think about taking them, since his injury didn't seem extraordinary.
default_smile.png

He sure cleans up nice!! I still applaud Excalibur Stables (Jason & Brenda Prince) for the EXCELLENT job they did of training, conditioning and presenting him for our farm for 2 show seasons - 2012 and 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I can show you some really ugly photos of a hind leg that was caught up in field fence for maybe an hour or two...(it makes Paula's photos look like no big deal at all)...that healed up very well with nothing but coconut oil applied topically 2x a day. The young mare was very stiff when I got her out of the wire but at that point there was nothing to indicate that she needed a vet. As time went on she lost more and more hair--the damage was actually much more extensive than I first thought. The leg swelled up quite a bit, which I expected--the actual wounds healed up within the month but the swelling took at least 2 months to go away completely. She did not get infection (i do credit the coconut oil with excellent healing powers). My biggest concern was that she had cut circulation off enough that she would lose the hoof--but the foot was never "cold" anywhere and so I was hopeful she would come out okay. She did. The injury happened in mid June and she has been back to normal for number of weeks now. Calling a vet would have had no benefit to me or her.

Had another one get injured trying to escape a kicking March earlier this month. He came up lame afterward--I separated him since I didn't know how serious it was. After a couple of days it was obviously BAD and at that point I had the vet out to confirm. Calling the vet earlier would have had no benefit--even with an earlier diagnosis I would have taken a wait and see approach--would not have put the horse down if he did not get worse but there was nothing different I could do to make sure he didn't get worse...since he did--the outcome was the same either way. There was nothing that could be done for him and so there was only one choice.

Some things do need early vet attdntion; other things do not--as long as the horse is in a safe location so that it is unlikely a serious injury will be made much worse...a wait and see approach is justified.

I am glad patty is back to normal!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back