Pattern Info...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAD Minis

Reaction score
Sorry i know I have been posting alot latley :DOH! , but im just full of questions I guess
default_rolleyes.gif

I was just wonderig about Gus's pinto patterns, they are really neat in my opinion! His dad was a Bay i believe and his mom was a really spotty pinto, with the same 'dots' that Gus has all over. So could some please educate me on what type of pattern he has. Just curiouse, I have been calling him a pinto so just wanting to make sure Im not misinforming myself or others. Thankyou!!! Hear are some pics.

Picture051.jpg

You can kind of see the spots under his mane in this picture

Picture051-1.jpg

Not sure if this one shows it better,

bulletjun2.jpg

And a picture of the other side from when he was little. Not sure if this helps but I only have pictures of his one side :DOH! , so I can take more today after work if it helps.

He has 4 big stockings and a couple splashes all over his body, but up under his mane is these spots that make his pinto splash look like chedder cheese
default_rolleyes.gif
:DOH! Thanks for the help again!!Look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Id say hes tobiano. You can test him to know exactally.

His pinto pattern is Tobiano. The little spots you see (called ink spots or paw prints) is often an indication that a horse is homozygous for Tobiano (carries two copies of the gene & will always throw Tobiano).

But....if his sire is truly a solid Bay, then it would not be possible for your little guy to have two copies & be homozygous. The little spots don't "always" indicate a horse is homozygous for Tobiano.

Also...If his sire had any white markings on him at all....he could very well be a minimal pinto. If that is the case, then your boy could have gotten the Tobiano gene from both parents and indeed be a homozygous Tobiano. As mentioned in the previous post, you can test for this to find out for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
This colt is definately a tobiano pinto, and most probably a homozygous tobiano. I owned both of his parents. His dam is a silver homozygous(for tobiano) pinto, and his sire although looks bay, is genetically a tobiano pinto with minimal white. I had him tested, so both this boys parents are pinto, and I think there is a strong chance your guy is homozygous. For $25.00 US you can find out.
default_yes.gif

These are pics of his parents...

Liley (dam) Lab tested to be homozygous for tobiano.

liley.jpg

Bay Escapade (sire) Lab tested to be tobiano.

bayescapade.jpg

Thankyou very much everyone!!!I plan on having him tested but just wanted to see what you guys thought!!Thankyou also to Mona for posting the pics and the info on his parents!!

Latest posts

Back