pasturing stallions together ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a magnetic dry erase board with pasture lines and fields drawn in permanent marker.I have magnets with each horse's name and move them around.I also have a drawing of the inside of the barn with stalls drawn.I have used this plan for "in case of hurricane weather."I just have to do some more playing with the board.Thanks for all the ideas.Will let you know how it plays out.Today I came up with the idea of leaving the stallion and gelding next to each other for company and in case of really bad weather I can put those 2 in the barn for a day or 2.I have over 30 stalls in the big dairy barn and am down to 14 horses.All are out with run in sheds or access to the barn for feeding.I'm jiust getting wimpy and I age and am facing shoulder surgery in 10 days.Thanks again.

We have 2 acres - I have kept as many as 6 or 7 mini stallions together, including 2 mature breeding stallions who we would pull out of the pen to breed and then put them back. No problems ever aside from a little noise now and then. In fact, the stallions treat each other more gently than the herd of mares does - I never found the kind of scrapes and marks on the boys that I do on the girls.

The pen I do this in is not adjacent to any other pen... I don't know how it'd work if they were immediately adjacent to mares.

I like to let the horses BE horses - meaning also that they develop their own pecking order no matter who *I* think should be in charge, and sometimes that means skirmishes. Of course, if I had one that was too aggressive, I'd keep it by itself - but if I had a stallion that aggressive, I might also be re-thinking whether or not he should *stay* a stallion, as disposition is one of the things I've always bred for.

Here's a bunch of my wild stallions....

wildstallions1.jpg

My old stallion is a total gentleman always, and I would literally trust him with my life, but to put him in with another stallion? No. He is one of the kindest horses I have ever known, with people and his girls and foals. He is a great babysitter to the youngsters too, and literally babysat the neighbors yearling colt on a parade trip last year - just would not risk it with another aged stallion. This doesnt mean he would be gelding material- this is Mother Nature, and in the wild, you would certainly not see the herd stallion seperate himself from the group in winter to go hang out in the 'man cave' with the other guys, LOL

For the ones that can run together that's great, but certainly is not what I would call the 'norm' for an experienced breeding aged stallion who was not raised this way, and is wanting to protect his harem from an 'intruder'. Myplace is way too small and I would never chance it. If I had 10 acres, now that might be something different, but would probably only try this with horses that have been raised in this manner and know how to handle it.

Back