Parade

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way to go Dapper Dan!
default_firstprize.gif
You both look maaarvy!

Our son was just here. I was telling him about the parade; he is a mountain biker and told us about some cool led light things for wheels. One is an led valve stem cover. It just screws into the valve stem and motion sets it off. There are other led things that attach to spokes. They are inexpensive. All available on amazon and some might be at the auto parts stores or even Walmart. Look for "led bicycle lighting". I wish I had known about them sooner! I'm certainly going to look into it for future night drives.

Haa Haa they are referring to his color - he is a "Pangare".

A lot of donkeys and ponies have this countershading that is much more noticable in the winter. I have a QH bay mare with Pangare who looks buckskin in the summer and like a mule coloration in the winter :)

We just got finished the last parade of this year for us. Prince and I were driving the wagon and Cheerio and Marg were working the crowds.

This was the only day time parade that we did this year.

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

These were all from before the parade waiting to form up. ther ewere 3 teams of heavy horses in the parade this year. it was great!

All these parade photos make me want to get into our town's parade this spring. I must come up with a costume and try it on the little guy before we try to trot him through town.

I just came back from our town's Christmas parade, and the horse drill team or whatever didnt bring horses? I dont think our area is allowed to bring horses at night parades due to a liability issue, but ill have to look into that for sure. I have put B in a parade before, but i just led him, and we did fine. I want to put Jazzy in a parade, as thats mainly what im training him for, as a pleasure driving horse as well as a performance driving horse, like B. But im not sure how he would react at night? Of course, we are still training, but just thinking about it gets me excited!!
default_smile.png

All these parade photos make me want to get into our town's parade this spring. I must come up with a costume and try it on the little guy before we try to trot him through town.
This is how I did Isaac for our Parade this year..And I made it myself...Fairdale Fair Parade 036-2.jpg

This is how I did Isaac for our Parade this year..And I made it myself...
That is so cute. Is that wings that you made yourself? The unicorn theme is cute. Wiseguy doesn't like things touching his ears so a unicorn horn would be perfect.

I can understand the liability problem as we just got back from a nighttime parade. The big horses can be seen easily as they go back to their trailers but we had to drive our little guys back to the trailer thru the streets including the main drag with all the cars without any police or help of any kind. Hey, waiting at a stop sign trying to get out in traffic is a big problem and probably an accident waiting to happen. I wasn't happy with the way things were handled ( or not handled as the case maybe). And yes the only route back to the trailers was to drive down the main drag or at least cross it.

Then this little town has very few street lights -- this parade doesn't make me want to go back!

My normally unflappable little mare that does everything for me in the arena didn't like the sloping driveway, hated walking towards the oncoming car lights, and while she crossed the railroad tracks with the crowd of horses, refused to cross them going back with just two of us. I got cold, my muscles all ache, but my daughter enjoyed herself.

All the parades that I have attended here, start and finish at the same spot. They are a big circle. The roads are all blocked until the last float goes through back to the start. We have had no problems with traffic. I was the only horse drawn float in the Brighton parade but one of 4 in the Campbellford parade. These are small little country towns so not sure if that makes any difference. The routes are only about 1.5-2 miles long.

Yes, steep downhill grades on pavement are not nice. It might be a good idea to check over the route first on a parade one has never done before. Dapper Dan also sees scary chasms sometimes on black tar strips on the road.

Most parades end up at a different place than the start. It's nice to have a helper bring the trailer up to the finish, especially with night parades. But we've driven through town before in the dark. Just keep all your lights going and follow traffic laws, use the traffic lights, take your time. It's part of the driving adventure.

I really like the jester/elf hat idea. I didn't put antlers on DD this time. I think a santa hat might be cool. Next time I'll do that. Also love the glitzy hooves, but I'm not sure how to do that, especially since DD's feet are so hairy. I took my bottle of hoof polish, bent down to apply, and couldn't figure out how to dab it on with all that hair hanging down. How does one trim up the feet without making the fetlock hair look choppy?

Wish the photos of the big horses had turned out. Many had garland all around the headstall/noseband with lights in it. Those horses really put up with a lot!

But I think the reason the spectators like the miniatures better than big horses, is most big horse groups are unorganized and tacky looking. They act like they are sauntering out on a trail ride and few bother to dress up or groom their horses properly. They make no effort to ride in any formation or order. Parades are all about exhibition; they wouldn't go in a show ring without dressing up; parades are the same.

One of the hrose groups was the Lawton Rangers, a group of men. They were in dashing black & white outfits with silver glittering on man and horse. They were definitly a good sight to see!

Marsha, for the glitzy hoofs just take a small sponge brush,paint the hoof with Elmers glue,spinkle on the glitter..And you can get it all at Walmart..

You know had thought about doing our parade her in town but there is a you must pick up your own poop thing (kind of tough when you are driving). And I hadn't even thought about having to cross the railroad tracks, twice in making the loop around. Although I guess if we could cross them once I could take the horses to my daughters and bring the trailer to meet them that would at least keep us out of the traffic.

We have a lot of fire trucks and the ambulance with sirens in our parade it might be too much stimulation, I would certainly want to do it in hand first before driving. Maybe i will work on a "costume" for next year.

That is so cute. Is that wings that you made yourself? The unicorn theme is cute. Wiseguy doesn't like things touching his ears so a unicorn horn would be perfect.
Yes..I made the wings and the horn..Message me and I will tell you how I did it..I don't want to highjack Marsha's post.

That is a great idea about the Elmer's glue and glitter. I am going to a parade next Saturday (Dec 1) at the Okla. City stockyards. I'm not taking my own horse this time, going to ride with a friend in her carriage. I think it will be fun!

Yes..I made the wings and the horn..Message me and I will tell you how I did it..I don't want to highjack Marsha's post.
Aw, it's just a post about parades! Love seeing what everyone is doing and how they do it. Lots of ideas.

On the elf/santa hat--holes in three places to zip it to the headstall???

I'm going to try the glue/glitter/scissor thing next time...

I am heading to OKC tommorrow for 6 months.... I would like to hear about the parades. This will be my last trip to OKC since we have started our house and it will be finished when I return to Colorado in May. Debbie

Latest posts

Back