Papers, what would you do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you provide the paper work to register the foal?

• Yes

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Yes, But make them pay the differance and the fees.

Votes: 42 65.6%

• Total voters
The fact is you can buy an unregistered or limited registered horse/dog at a lower price. This does not "STOP" people from breeding the animals. It just keeps people from breeding "Registered" animals. If the horse is registerable and the people are willing to pay the differance between what you sold the horse as a pet and what you were asking as a registered horse then I do not see a problem with it. They would be buying the papers. Nothing wrong with that. They could hardship the horse for $600 so either way they can get a registered horse out of this. No one ever said the horse was pet quality. Just that the people said they did not have enough to buy the horse with papers. I would not give the papers for free. I bought a horse on payments. The breeder held the papers. When I had paid just over 1/2 I could pick up the horse (in another state). Basicly, she had set a pet price for the horse. When the total price was paid, I got the papers. So, the remaining balance was for the papers. If the new owner is willing to pay for the papers I would do it. Howerer, I think I would insist on DNA to PQ her at the new owners expence.
No, it does not stop people from breeding them or, in the dog world, buying "papers" for them from another registration. But, it does discourage many, as the value of the resulting puppies or foals would be greatly reduced.

I just wish that people would stop breeding just because they have a female and a male or access to a male. There are too many unwanted animals out there already and the results can be like the problem in West Virginia right now. If you want a foal or puppy, buy it, do not breed it just because you have a mare of female dog.

I think that if they just want to show the horse it would be fine to make them pay the differences and the fees. If they bought the horse unregistered it was most likely a cheap buy. I believe that if they wanted to breed the horse it would be different, they should have to pay you more money. I don't see any reason as to why you wouldn't give them the option of purchasing the papers. It can't hurt you.

I find the very differing opinions stated here very interesting. So I'll take a chance on being flamed and add mine:

All my foals are registered. Period - I haven't had a dwarf so haven't encountered that situation.

All horses sell with papers, regardless of price, if they are still eligible for them (haven't exceeded height). That means that even the give aways are provided with papers.

The responsibility to transfer ownership lies with the buyer.

Why do I provide papers? First of all, it doesn't cost me anything to give them to the buyer. Second, what if they would like to show the horse? You say that you don't want your farm name on a less than perfect horse? What if the buyer wants to show their beloved horse in showmanship or driving or costume or whatever? Yes, of course, I wish all my foals were models of perfection. But I don't feel the need to hide those that are less than perfect. As long as I encourage the owners to have them gelded or not breed them, I'm not going to rob them of the fun of showing the horse - or force them to hardship the horse if they want to.

In this situation the third buyer of this horse wants the papers - as long as they bore the expense of getting them updated, I would provide them. If the horse hasn't been gelded (if a stud) and needs to be, then I would try to educate them.

I've seen people breed horses that I wouldn't and there may be some breeders who wouldn't breed mine. If you have a colt that you really feel shouldn't be bred, then geld him before he leaves your property. But don't deny him his registration papers.

So you know that I practice what I preach - I had an AMHR horse that exceeded 38". He was given away for $1.00 after I spent $200 getting him gelded. His papers were returned to AMHR stating that he had gone over.

Playing somewhat of a devil's advocate here... but maybe they are in a situation like me. My girl was given to a friend of mine when her current owner could no longer keep her. She came to me "temporarily" to keep my older mare company while I looked for another saddle horse. It only took a few days for me to fall in love with her and decide that rather than get another saddle horse, I would be keeping her.

All that said, I'd love to know more about her and if she is registered, to have those papers. I would gladly pay any fees to transfer them, just because those papers are proof of who she is and she deserves to have them with her. God forbid something happen to me and my family needed to rehome her, those papers may mean the difference between her being "just another little grade pony" to being a registered miniature horse (for whatever that is worth).

I've been doing equine rescue for many years, having purchased more than a few horses from the slaughter pens at local auctions. Often times, it's the horses that show up with papers that sell to private parties and the grade horses all wind up in the "kill pen." Many times, we've found that the kill pen horses were actually registered but the papers hadn't kept up with the horse as it changed hands over the years. Those papers, had they been present at the sale, could have prevented the horse from being purchased by the kill buyers.

I think if a horse is a purebred, that they deserve to have their heritage be a part of their "package"... hopefully, you'll be able to express to the new owners that they should come up with the funds to get those papers up to date. I do think the financial burden should fall on the new owners to pay the fees.

Latest posts

Back