Painkillers after the Birth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalbank

Reaction score
I was new to breeding last year and learnt about foaling from breeder friends, but am now concerened as no one at all ever seems to mention giving the mare a painkiller after she has given birth.

Now all you guys seem to have painkiller in your foaling kit, so I'm wondering what I should give my mares here in the UK. I always have a box of Bute on hand for my big horse, but not sure I can give this to a mare with a foal.

Anyone know of something suitable that I can put in my kit and dosage levels etc? I'd hate to think my poor little mares were in pain through being sore etc.
default_sad.png

I give a small dose of banamine after foaling for the mares comfort. I do not like using bute for the minis. You can get banamine is a paste form and very easy to give. It seems to do the trick in giving them some comfort after foaling.

Arlene

I've heard a lot of bad stories about bute toxicity in minis, but maybe it is okay for a single dose post foaling (others here will probably have more insight than I do).

What I give is 3cc of Banamine (flunixin meglumine) injectable but I give it orally (this is okay). I also give a dose of UlcerGard as a precaution (due to the Banamine) and a big dose of Ivermectin post-foaling.

Good luck!

We also give the mare 2-3 cc of Banamine (flunixin meglumine) orally - also goes under the name of Prevail, Flunixamine and others. I think a common one in the UK is Finadyne?? It will give her some relief from the cramping and swelling....

default_smile.png

I do the same thing as everyone else, and my vet strongly advises this also. She feels it is very important to do this with all mares, but esp.maiden mares, it seems to take the edge off the pain and allow them to be more patient with a new foal learning to nurse.

Last edited by a moderator:
We also gave banamine to our mares right after they foaled. It works quickly and took the edge of the pain for my mare, who was acting a little colicy after she foaled. Once the banamine kicked in with her, she was fine.

Jen

I also give 3cc of banamine right after birth. I find it really helps ease the pain and gets them back on their feet faster to alow the foal to nurse. I have a couple of real drama queen mares that could not cope without their banimine, can't say as I blame them
default_smile.png

I think it's an american thing, here in holland we don't give painkillers either.

Never had any problems, untill I imported an amercan mare she just kept rolling and going up and down after the birth so had to call the vet out for her.

We are not allowed to give painkillers ourselves, (though the vet said I could get a tube of, can't think of the name now, for the next time).
default_wink.png

I give banamine as soon as they pass the afterbirth. My vet said its best to wait until then as banamine slows down contractions and will slow the passing of the afterbirth. Has anyone elses vet told them this, just curious? I have on occasion given it to a maiden a bit earlier if they seemed to be in a lot of pain, rolling, etc. after giving birth though.

I think giving them a dose of banamine will obviously make them more comfortable and then they can concentrate on the foal more, especially the maidens. Laura

Laura, my vet says the same thing, so I usually wait until the placenta is at least half way out before giving it - it takes about an hour for full affect, so I figure I am not slowing things down that way. Also give the ivermectin

Stac

Like Laura & Stac, I give when placenta is out or at least 1/2 way.

Like others, I use liquid banamine squirted in the mouth. It works almost as fast as injection that is not IV'd. Takes about15-20 min to show much, about 45 min to get close to full relief. Does help with discomfort, swelling, thus attitude. Not so much a "have to" thing for most mares but it is a kinder way to experience foaling
default_wub.png
Like others say, they can then concentrate on the new foal.

We give a half dose of Banamine practically automatically and also worm with Ivermectin immediately after birth.

Our vet said that the Banamine DOES NOT interfere with the passing of the placenta. As this can occur a significant time after they birth, and during a critical time for the baby and mare to bond, we give them an injection of Banamine right after they birth. Often before they even stand up.

Banamine also lessens the chances of colic and founder after birthing. Both of these have an increase chance after foaling.

I give banamine as soon as they pass the afterbirth. My vet said its best to wait until then as banamine slows down contractions and will slow the passing of the afterbirth. Has anyone elses vet told them this, just curious? I have on occasion given it to a maiden a bit earlier if they seemed to be in a lot of pain, rolling, etc. after giving birth though.
I think giving them a dose of banamine will obviously make them more comfortable and then they can concentrate on the foal more, especially the maidens. Laura
Good point to add that. We all take it for granted that we are talking about a normal birth, quickly followed by the afterbirth (in which case I would give the banaminie). In the absence of the afterbirth, and digging arount the stall and still not finding it, I would give my vet a heads up and follow her instructions which may or may not include administering oxytocin and or banamine.

Carolyn

Hi,

I am learning and study about the miniature foaling and etc.. ;)

I am curious and did google up about banamine and it is a shot and paste.

Which you prefer for a shot or paste?

Also I saw some say "oral" as put in the mouth...

I did use Bute (tablets, low dose) on one of my miniature which she got deep cut on her leg.

She has no problem with bute and it really help her.

Thought to share this link, http://www.azequine.com/nsaid.pdf

OK, I use Bute with foaling pains!!!

If you have the granules, which I assume you do, the dose for an average size Mini will be a quarter of a teaspoon, I do it by volume not weight, and I put it in a syringe and put a couple mill warm water with it.

There are not many times I will use Byte as opposed to Finadyne (which your Vet can give you, no problem) but this is one of them as it's use as an anti inflammatory is better than Finadyne.

When using But I always err on the side of under-dosing, as you can always give a tiny bit more if necessary.

I too have always thought it totally nuts that we do not routinely give painkillers to mares, and I never did to the Arabs, however I always have given them to the Minis.

HI Karrie

Over the years I have seen quite a few minis have very bad reactions to Bute especially when given in shot form (abcesses) I have given bute to a foundered rescue mini as it was the only thing that would help her pain. But if I have a choice I stick to Banamine.

Our vet in Illinois used to have me give the shot liquid by mouth. I was later told by ISU Equine hospital to never do that as the shot liquid is way too hard on their stomachs and can cause ulcers very quickly as its meant to go in the blood stream not the mouth. I use the paste at home as Im not a fan of giving shots so the paste is easier for me. But I have been told by many vets that giving the banamine shot in the vein is much more effective especially if a horse is having a bad colic episode.

We always give our mares banamine after foaling.

Hi,
I am learning and study about the miniature foaling and etc.. ;)

I am curious and did google up about banamine and it is a shot and paste.

Which you prefer for a shot or paste?

Also I saw some say "oral" as put in the mouth...

I did use Bute (tablets, low dose) on one of my miniature which she got deep cut on her leg.

She has no problem with bute and it really help her.

Thought to share this link, http://www.azequine.com/nsaid.pdf

We don't use Bute on our minis. And we haven't used PASTE Banamine for years. Our vet sells us liquid Banamine instead, and we give it orally (in mouth).....1cc per 100 pounds. We much prefer the liquid as it's much more accurate with dosing and faster acting.

I use the banamine paste, only on the mares that are in discomfort, or laying down alot....and on first time mommas if they need it so they can concentrate on their foals. If they are up caring for the foal and not laying down or acting like they are in pain, then I do not give it.

Latest posts

Back