owner deceased & no stallion report can you register foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse

Reaction score
We are thinking of adding two mares to our place. Here's the quandry..the mares are registered R. The mares were pasture bred to one of his studs. The owner died before he got around to filing a stallion report. His estate/heirs can furnish his signature for the transfer of registration papers (correct????) And if so, is there a way to get the foals registered when they are born since no stallion report was filed?

Thanks to anyone who can help. We need to decide what we're doing by tomorrow a.m. or they are selling to the next person in line.

We are thinking of adding two mares to our place. Here's the quandry..the mares are registered R. The mares were pasture bred to one of his studs. The owner died before he got around to filing a stallion report. His estate/heirs can furnish his signature for the transfer of registration papers (correct????) And if so, is there a way to get the foals registered when they are born since no stallion report was filed?

Thanks to anyone who can help. We need to decide what we're doing by tomorrow a.m. or they are selling to the next person in line.
I think a late stallion report can be filed, but it will have to be done by his heirs or someone with authority to sign for him.It may take a while to get done.Just curious, why does it have to be decided by tomorrow when you can get no answers from the registry on a weekend.could you explain to these heirs how the registry works and that papers are very important to go with the animal in question.IMO if they won't cooperate with you I would walk away unless you are willing to take a chance that you may never get the proper paperwork.

I think a late stallion report can be filed, but it will have to be done by his heirs or someone with authority to sign for him.It may take a while to get done.Just curious, why does it have to be decided by tomorrow when you can get no answers from the registry on a weekend.could you explain to these heirs how the registry works and that papers are very important to go with the animal in question.IMO if they won't cooperate with you I would walk away unless you are willing to take a chance that you may never get the proper paperwork.

If the mares are currently bred, the stallion report would not be late. The mares are due in 2011 and you have til the end of the year or so to file reports.

However, I hope he only had one stallion as there would be no way then for someone else to know what was bred and to who. Also no idea of the dates....

I think it would be worth asking the registry, PRIOR to purchasing the mares- that might save a lot of hassle and headache.

Thanks for your input Bevann. I dare say this guy was an EXCEEDINGLY wealthy man. His family is awful to deal with as they could care less about these horses. They have been selling them off left and right just because they don't like looking at them. I am serious in that remark. I can't begin to tell you how uncaring they are. One of the mares is so severly foundered her back feet look like flippers. The grandson who's in his 30's or so said, "If somebody buys one of the horses and wants her they can have her. Otherwise she gets a bullet to the head." As it turned out somebody bought one of the others today and took the foundered one also. I know them and they will take care of her. There are other people who will take them if we don't by 10:00 tomorrow. At least if we get them I know they'll have a "cushy" life here! They are sweet tempered horses. This family really gives billionares a bad name. This guy paid mega bucks for most of those horses. I'll probably buy them even if I can't do anything with the foals papers. Just would like to know....

If the family is this horrible to deal with, I seriously doubt that any of them are going to want to go through the hassle of filling out a stallion report and looking up mares registered names and numbers, etc... to put on it and getting it in the mail!! What a shame!

If the family is this horrible to deal with, I seriously doubt that any of them are going to want to go through the hassle of filling out a stallion report and looking up mares registered names and numbers, etc... to put on it and getting it in the mail!! What a shame!

Yes, Laurie. For sure they're not about to do anything remotely helpful other than signatures. Fortunately, there's a woman in one of the offices there who is more than happy to get the paperwork in order. SHE is concerned for the animals at least. The studs were in different locations at the farms so it's known which one bred these girls. Thanks for your responses.

I say if you like them then get them.

Papers are just papers and you can always hardship if needed, sounds like that may happen anyways. best of luck! hope the lady who cares can help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to add that if the mares are R only, then there is no hardshipping them into AMHR. You can however register them off the mare's papers as National Show Ponies. It requires submitting DNA from both mare & foal, but at least they will still have papers.

Good Luck, though if you do decide to get the mares- I rescued a herd last year that will the estate signed all paperwork, it too FOREVER to get everything settled and transferred over to me, but well worth it in the long run!

If there is an estate representative/executor that can and will sign the transfer forms on the mares, then that same person will be able to sign the stallion report for the 2010 breedings--and since the stallion report doesn't have to be in until mid January, you won't even have to pay a late fee.

Even if the executor isn't at all interested in the horses, hopefully he/she will be willing to sign any and all necessary paperwork in order to make/expedite the sale of the horses.

I managed to get papers from amha for a 2yr old filly that wasnt registered at all and there hadnt been a stallion report filed ,once a copy of the death certificate was sent in the next of kin were able to sign on her behalf so its quite possible amhr might do the same

I managed to get papers from amha for a 2yr old filly that wasnt registered at all and there hadnt been a stallion report filed ,once a copy of the death certificate was sent in the next of kin were able to sign on her behalf so its quite possible amhr might do the same

Thanks so much to all who responded on this. We did get both of them today and what nice horses they really are! I did get the papers. One needs to be made current but is dna'd. The other has her permanent A papers in R. Not bad bloodlines as a bonus.

The office people were really nice and said they'd do all they could to get the paperwork transferred. Only problem I see off the bat is that the Signature of owner lines on the registration certificates are signed by the guy who is entitled "agent" for the deceased. He whited out whomever's signature was on the line first. I'll call the registries on Monday to see if I do need something in addition. I am glad that I bought them even if the papers aren't ok. I am also SUPER glad that we didn't even have to deal with the $$$$$ people today.

They were vetted, shot and wormed today and are now safe and sound tucked into nice comfy stalls with mattresses. It's snowing pretty hard & windy outside tonight. They probably don't know what hit them. Will try to tackle the tail on the one tomorrow. You wouldn't BELIEVE the caked manure in her tail. Apparently she had the runs at some point. She can't lift it for the weight of it when she urinates, so it's really a hard, wet rank MESS!

Thanks again!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back