Over Protective Gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNR

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am at my wits end I have a gelding that will protect the MARES till he or someone eles gets hurt till I get it broke up. He will only let one other gelding in with them and that gelding was here first. Everytime another gelding gets put in with them he will chase him biting kicking and the worst part is the mares all get to running then I can't catch any of them. Dose anyone elses have a protective Gelding? How about any ideas on why he would be this way or how to fix it besides not putting any geldings in with him? ( don't normally put any in there whith him but sometimes things happen and one accidiently gets in there! )

Thanks

RNR

I have one that is almost that bad. He herds the mares around like a stallion and will not let my other gelding near the mares. Yesterday he was actually breeding one of the mares. This really bothered me so I have him in a stall now. He doesn't have any testicles showing. I bought him as a gelding. I didn't have it done so I hope he is a true gelding not a cryptorchid. At first I thought maybe he had only been gelded a little while. I have other geldings and even one that was gelded at 10 years old and he was a little aggressive at first, but he grew out of it quickly.

Gelding a male horse only get rid of the major hormonal producing body part !!

They still produce the male hormones. Some just produce more than others ...

That said. I have one that is really bad at bossing the mares around and even

mounting mare in heat like yours ... Now I just keep the seperate. I have all

my geldings and stallions together in the winter and in the summer the geldings

have their own field in the front and the girls are across the driveway or in with

the respective stallion.

Thanks Guys!

I guess I will just have to get to work and build him his own pen I hated to do that to him I hate to see a horse by them sleves but mabey I can put him and the other gelding togther!

I am glad he dose not mount the girls!

RNR

I don't know, I have one like this too, except he has never been out with geldings he just constantly herds the other horses and will stand in the gate if anyone trys to take his "ladies" from him.

Have you tried removing him and letting the little herd he is out with establish a new pecking order before putting him back out? Perhaps its like you said with the other gelding, he was there first? If it works, you may be able to do this every time you add a new gelding. If it doesn't work then he will just have to have a seperate turnout, and maybe choose just one buddy for him.

What about vicks in the nose? Does anybody think that removal from the herd as I described above, combined with vicks upon reintroduction might work? Or would she just have to keep putting vicks on every day thereafter?

I have a gelding who also thinks he's a stallion (he was gelded supposedly around 7 or 8 years old) he's now 12 and he lives by himself cause he'll attack any horse .....large or small if they go near him, he'll either bite them or kick them....unless of course it's a mare in heat and then I have no doubt that he'd mount her :eek:

I'm like Champ. Have a 19 yr old gelding that was cut at age 7. He still runs my filly and will fight and posture with the stallion. He even dropped and dripped when we had a mare here in heat to breed.

Your title caught my thoughts as I thought back to a gelding I once had. He wasn't protective of the mares like you are stating, but he loved, loved, loved foals. If he had the chance, he would seperate the foal from the mama and guard the foal as protecting. I don't know if that is a norm, I only had 2 gelds. in my past. But I learned I had to keep him away from the babies so they could eat.

~Karen

Back