Our Unbelievable Nationals Experience

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getitia

Reaction score
I’ve had a number of individuals who have written and asked us to share our Nationals experience with one of our fillies that we showed and I’m humbled to do so -

The background

We attended our first AMHR National show back in 1997 and I can remember just how in awe I was of the horses that were exhibited and those that ended up in the winner’s circle. The show so inspired me as a breeder that I realized I really needed to focus if I was going to be fortunate enough to find one of our homebred horses in the Nationals winner’s circle someday. It was a major dream to someday breed a horse that would win supreme futurity halter horse but the horse also needed to be produced by/out of horses that we had personally bred – I felt that as a breeder this would be one of the ultimate show ring honors

Over the years we added horses to the breeding program with “parts” that I thought would be necessary to be competitive in both halter and driving without having other traits/parts that if inherited would be detrimental. I’d add a horse to the program and say – I love this neck – the length, the shape, the placement on the body – if only I could “put” this neck on the foals that we produce – and then doing the same for every other aspect of a horse (hip, shoulder, head, bone substance etc.) and also focusing on those traits that are not easily seen – intelligence, show ring attitude, athleticism, personality. I loved pintos – and considered color the icing on the cake. Thus, the breeding program continued, year after year - we continued to make some progress and we also experienced a number of highs and lows (like those shared almost daily by others on this valuable forum).

In the spring of 2010 a little silver bay minimal pinto filly was born. Her dam was a daughter of Papo (who we had just lost very untimely in 2009 and was a devastating loss for us) and out of a Van Lo mare. The dam was bred by us, sold and then we repurchased her back as a yearling. This filly’s sire was Todd, whose dam is also a Van Lo mare and his sire is Lee. I was present at this filly’s birth and from the time she took her first wobbly step and nickered, in the back of my mind, I kept thinking, this filly appears to have inherited the best traits of both her sire and dam – could she be the one. She was named Buckeye WCF 1 Hot Unbelievable.

Fast forward to the 2010 US AMHR Nationals.

I very seldom ever enter weanlings in the amateur division at the Nationals as I don’t want them to become overtired plus it is so difficult for a foal to compete against the older horses anyway, but I thought it would be helpful to enter her in at least one class before her futurity class to see how she would behave – so I entered her in the amateur mare incentive class – I was shocked when she was awarded national champion - and even more shocked that it was unanimous. The next morning – in her weanling futurity class with me handling her, I was again more shocked that in a class of 37 stunning fillies she won her class. It was a long all day wait until she returned to compete for Supreme and then I saw the incredible line up of 1st place class winners walk into the ring …………and if I was shocked before – I was more than stunned when they called her name as the Supreme Futurity winner……………and I actually just stood there holding the lead rope for a few moments not believing what I had heard.

Year after year I’ve read or heard comments about show ring politics…and that winning big at the Nationals is political. I beg to differ – It is possible (even if it seems “unbelievable” ) for a nonprofessional to breed, train, condition, and exhibit a top winning horse at the National level……don’t ever give up on your dream or let anyone tell you something is not possible. Many people over the years told me my dream was not possible. I just didn't believe them.

It has truly for us, been a year to remember. Thank you for letting me share our story.

Lexi2010filly.jpg

I have tears in my eyes! She's beyond GORGEOUS!
default_wub.png

You've always been one of the few breeders I've admired from afar. i really like your program!!!!

I hope to have one of your babies some day!!!

I'm thrilled for you! Congratulations!!
default_aktion033.gif

Congratulations! Stunning filly. Yes, it is possible! And I am glad you didn't believe them.

I have tears in my eyes! She's beyond GORGEOUS!
wub.gif

You've always been one of the few breeders I've admired from afar. i really like your program!!!!

I hope to have one of your babies some day!!!

I'm thrilled for you! Congratulations!!
aktion033.gif

Getitia,

I can't say anything but ditto what Robin said.

What a tremendous accomplishment! And what a stunning filly!
wub.gif

All I can say is:
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

AND
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched some of the show.....I don't think I have ever seen a prettier filly. From the time she came into the ring, she was my pick. I didn't know then who she was.....but when they announced her name, then I said to myself....."no wonder".

Congratulations on a fairy tale show.....she is simply exquisite....

Thank you for letting me share our story.

Lexi2010filly.jpg
She is gorgious !!!

CONGRATULATIONS I was so afraid to read this, thinking more negative things happened.

So nice and refreshing to hear this wonderful story.
default_aktion033.gif

OOOOHHHHHH What A Feeellllinnnnggg ! ! ! I can understand your pride - nothing quite like having one of your own HOMEBRED foals go and and win & win BIG!

Congratulatons Getitia -- I truly understand what it takes to get to that point in a breeding program - Kudos - and I am sure that there are many more just like her waiting to be born into your breeding program

Stacy

Getitia,

Hats off to you and your breeding program. Consistency is the key and I think you proved it! Beautiful filly and it shows.

Karen

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!! Gorgeous filly!! And thank you so much for sharing your story, as I too have tears in my eyes reading it. I know full well about the highs and lows involved in breeding minis, and your is one of the breeding programs I most admire. I am so happy for you!!

Mary

Oh that is a wonderful story! She is a beautiful girl, and Todd is magnificent himself. Thanks for sharing!

What a beautiful story - an inspiration to us all! What a beautiful filly - she just takes one's breath away!

Many, many congratulations!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Anna

Getitia...As you know, I have been a huge fan of your horses for years...and one day I *will* own one!!
default_wub.png
While at Nationals we past by your stall area several times, but I never did see you. Maybe next year...
default_yes.gif

CONGRATS!!! When I 1st saw her, I fell in love with her...she is truly stunning!!
default_wub.png
:wub

Getitia, I am so very proud of you and your program, and beyond proud of the horses I share my home with that are part of your passionate forethought. Each of them, Firecracker, my very special Nadia and Heart, and the love of my life Phantom,,,are all a part of my dream. If it were not for you sharing yours, my dream might of fell short.

A very well deserved congratulations for all of your placings!!

Your successful experience being shared is, passing it on. People like you is why the miniature industry continues to improve in quality and education.

Thank you for sharing, and for being such a wonderful person!!
default_smile.png

All the horses send a special hug!!!

The biggest congrats and I agree- she is beyond stunning!!! WOW

Absolutely breathtaking. Congratulations

Wow. Just. Wow.

I think I need to make a trip out to central Ohio! What an amazingly beautiful girl you have there! And I just poked around on your site. I sure hope that one day I can afford to own an animal of that quality.

Wow.

And Congrats!!!

Back