Our New Driving Horse Jack

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a first drive you DO look fabulous! And I agree with the harness fit comments - move your saddle back (if you were to go down a hill with it in the position it is in now it will push in behind his elbows and be uncomfortable and possibly downright painful) and move the front breeching hangar down a notch and the back up one. I am going to say that although it looks like he is going to have an awesome headset at this point in time looking at this photo only he is behind the bit and avoiding contact. He is overbent and flexing through his neck rather than giving at the poll. I would work on encouraging him to move up into the bit, accept contact and take up the bit so that his face will be more vertical rather than tucked quite so far into his chest and his poll will be the highest elevation. I only say this because I wouldn't want you looking at this photo and because of what everyone is saying thinking this is absolutely correct and continue to work in this frame. As I said, for a first drive you look FABULOUS!

I could not agree with you more. Jack is kinda plump right now so the saddle kinda fits funny. Also he is a stallion and was used as a breeding stallion for many years so his neck is really really thick. When they were showing him he had several neck sweats on him all the time. I do agree that the saddle does need to be pulled back and hopefully as he slims down it will fit better. I also agree that he is overbent and sometimes avoids contact. I am having his teeth floated before he comes to Alaska just to make sure his mouth is in tip top shape. I also just purchased him a Myler Comfy fit snaffle so hopefully that will make moving up into the bit a little more comfortable. He has been driven in the past by drives of all ages and skill levels so I think he will relax as he learns to trust my hands. Once he figures out that I will be consistent and gentle with him I am sure he will become more confident and relaxed.

Are you going to get him cut? Good stallions make GREAT geldings!
default_aktion033.gif

KellyAlaska said:
I called the lady who I ordered my harness from and she said I could upgrade my saddle (because it is still in new condition only used once for this photo) for $20!
Was it Janie?
default_biggrin.png
I sorta thought she might do that!
default_thumbup.gif

KellyAlaska said:
I am also going to get some quick release tug straps.
Quick release tugs- the tug strap is the part the tug loop buckles into.
default_wink.png
I'm so happy for you! I think you'll love your setup.
default_aktion033.gif

Leia

Are you going to get him cut? Good stallions make GREAT geldings!
default_aktion033.gif

Because we will be in Alaska for the next 3 to 5 years and he is an only horse (no other horses for miles around!) we are going to leave him a stallion for the time being. I am not against gelding him if it becomes an issue. He is very gentle even as a stallion and he is already 8 yrs old so I hope it will not become an issue.

Thanks,

Kelly

Was it Janie?
default_biggrin.png
I sorta thought she might do that!
default_thumbup.gif

I did speak with Janie but I had already committed to a vendor at that point. I purchased my harness from Carriage Driving Essentials. Both were awesome to work with and I did end up getting my bit from Janie.

Quick release tugs- the tug strap is the part the tug loop buckles into.
default_wink.png
I'm so happy for you! I think you'll love your setup.
default_aktion033.gif

Sorry still learning the names for everything. lol

Leia

I did speak with Janie but I had already committed to a vendor at that point. I purchased my harness from Carriage Driving Essentials. Both were awesome to work with and I did end up getting my bit from Janie.
Ah, Celine R. in California! She's great too.
default_wub.png
Between the Comfy Fit harness and the Myler Comfort Snaffle you've made some great choices.

Leia

Ah, Celine R. in California! She's great too.
default_wub.png
Between the Comfy Fit harness and the Myler Comfort Snaffle you've made some great choices.

Leia
Celine has been really great to work with. When you only have one horse it makes it so much easier to spoil them! Now all I have to do is decide on a cart and I think the MiniCrown with the Marathon shafts is going to be what I will end up with. I am thinking about getting it in a dark blue purple color. Do you think I should go with a classic black or purple? Will the color make a difference if I show him in CDE's or local shows where an Easy Entry is acceptable?

Dark blue would be fine. Purple might be pushing it. You can accent in purple, but I wouldn't make it a main color. It won't matter a whole lot for CDEs, but if you get a traditional judge, it might.

Myrna

Latest posts

Back